Trung P. Nguyen, M.D., Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Neurology and Neurotherapeutics at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He specializes in disorders of cognition and dementias such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia with Lewy bodies.
Dr. Nguyen earned his M.D. and Ph.D. in neuroscience from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. He then completed his residency in neurology at Emory University in Atlanta, GA. He returned to Texas to complete his fellowship in behavioral neurology and neuropsychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and subsequently accepted a faculty position here.
Dr. Nguyen’s research focus is on neurodegenerative diseases and dementias. He is actively involved in observational and interventional clinical trials for Alzheimer’s disease. He has also received research funding from the Texas Alzheimer’s Research and Care Consortium and the National Institute on Aging to investigate the pathologic mechanisms underlying Alzheimer’s disease and dementia with Lewy bodies.
- Medical School
- UT Medical Branch at Galveston (2010)
- Emory University School of Medicine (2011), Internal Medicine
- Emory University School of Medicine (2014), Neurology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2016), Behavioral Neurology & Dementia
- Alzheimer's disease
- Dementia with Lewy bodies
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Risk factors for earlier dementia onset in autopsy-confirmed Alzheimer's disease, mixed Alzheimer's with Lewy bodies, and pure Lewy body disease.
- Schaffert J, LoBue C, White CL, Wilmoth K, Didehbani N, Lacritz L, Nguyen T, Peters ME, Fields L, Li C, Cullum CM, Alzheimers Dement 2020 Feb
- Traumatic Brain Injury and Age of Onset of Dementia with Lewy Bodies.
- Nguyen TP, Schaffert J, LoBue C, Womack KB, Hart J, Cullum CM J. Alzheimers Dis. 2018 Oct
- CSF complement 3 and factor H are staging biomarkers in Alzheimer's disease.
- Hu WT, Watts KD, Tailor P, Nguyen TP, Howell JC, Lee RC, Seyfried NT, Gearing M, Hales CM, Levey AI, Lah JJ, Lee EK Acta Neuropathol Commun 2016 4 1 14
- Synaptic proteins linked to HIV-1 infection and immunoproteasome induction: proteomic analysis of human synaptosomes.
- Gelman BB, Nguyen TP J Neuroimmune Pharmacol 2010 Mar 5 1 92-102
- Persistent hijacking of brain proteasomes in HIV-associated dementia.
- Nguyen TP, Soukup VM, Gelman BB Am. J. Pathol. 2010 Feb 176 2 893-902
- American Academy of Neurology (2011)