Bert B. Vargas, MD, FAHS is an Arizona native who grew up in Tucson and attended the University of Arizona where he obtained his undergraduate degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology. He then obtained his medical degree at the University of Arizona College of Medicine.
He then completed an internal medicine internship at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center in Phoenix, Arizona after which he served in the United States Air Force as a flight surgeon.
While on active duty, Dr. Vargas was deployed numerous times in support of Operations Northern Watch, Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi Freedom.
After completing his service, he completed his neurology residency training at New York University and his headache medicine fellowship at Mayo Clinic in Arizona.
He spent six years on faculty at Mayo Clinic in Arizona and recently moved to UT Southwestern in Dallas, Texas, where he now directs the Sports Neurology and Concussion Program and the Sports Neurology Fellowship Program. He is board certified in Neurology by the American Board of Psychology and Neurology and in Headache Medicine by the United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties and is a fellow of the American Headache society.
Dr. Vargas is on the Board of Directors of the American Headache Society and the Headache Cooperative of the Pacific. He is the chairman of the American Headache Society Post-traumatic Headache Special Interest Section and the Digital Strategy Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. His clinical and research interests include concussion, chronic migraine, post-traumatic headache, and telemedicine.
- Medical School
- University of Arizona College of Medicine (1999)
- University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix (2000), Internal Medicine
- New York University School of Medicine (2007), Neurology
- Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education (2008), Headache Medicine
- Concussion and Mild Traumatic Brain Injury
- Headache and Facial Pain
- The portrayal of migraine in popular music: observations and implications.
- Roberts DL, Vargas BB Headache 2012 Jul-Aug 52 7 1164-70
- Posttraumatic headache.
- Vargas BB, Dodick DW Curr. Opin. Neurol. 2012 Jun 25 3 284-9
- Occipital nerve stimulation with the Bion® microstimulator for the treatment of medically refractory chronic cluster headache.
- Strand NH, Trentman TL, Vargas BB, Dodick DW Pain Physician 2011 Sep-Oct 14 5 435-40
- Risk of development of medication overuse headache with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug therapy for migraine: a critically appraised topic.
- Starling AJ, Hoffman-Snyder C, Halker RB, Wellik KE, Vargas BB, Dodick DW, Demaerschalk BM, Wingerchuk DM Neurologist 2011 Sep 17 5 297-9
- The impact of unruptured intracranial aneurysm repair in headache management: putting the data into clinical practice.
- Vargas BB Cephalalgia 2011 Jul 31 10 1071-3
- Occipital nerve stimulator placement under general anesthesia: initial experience with 5 cases and review of the literature.
- Trentman TL, Zimmerman RS, Dodick DW, Dormer CL, Vargas BB J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 2010 Apr 22 2 158-62
- Cluster headache: diagnosis and treatment.
- Halker R, Vargas B, Dodick DW Semin Neurol 2010 Apr 30 2 175-85
- Posttraumatic headache in combat soldiers and civilians: what factors influence the expression of tension-type versus migraine headache?
- Vargas BB Curr Pain Headache Rep 2009 Dec 13 6 470-3
- Greater occipital nerve stimulation via the Bion microstimulator: implantation technique and stimulation parameters. Clinical trial: NCT00205894.
- Trentman TL, Rosenfeld DM, Vargas BB, Schwedt TJ, Zimmerman RS, Dodick DW Pain Physician 2009 May-Jun 12 3 621-8
- The face of chronic migraine: epidemiology, demographics, and treatment strategies.
- Vargas BB, Dodick DW Neurol Clin 2009 May 27 2 467-79
Migraine pathophysiology and triptan mechanism of action. In Triptans for Migraine
Halker RB, Vargas BB (2011). London, UK, Future Science Group
Headache and other craniofacial pain. In Bradley's neurology in clinical practice. 6th ed. Vol. II
Garza I, Swanson JW, Cheshire WP Jr, Boes CJ, Capobianco DJ, Vargas BB, Cutrer FM (2012). Philadelphia, Elsevier/Saunders
Calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor antagonists. In Novel Approaches in Migraine Treatment
Bravo T, Vargas BB, Halker RB (2013). London, UK, Future Medicine, Ltd.
The impact of unruptured intracranial aneurysm repair in headache management: putting the data into clinical practice. In Teleneurology in Practice: A Comprehensive Clinical Guide
Vargas BB (2015). Springer
Introduction and Approach to Headache. In Mayo Clinic Neurology Board Review: Clinical Neurology for Initial Certification and MOC
Vargas BB, Halker RB (2015). New York, Oxford University Press
Primary Headache Disorders: Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalgias, Headaches with Specific Triggers, and Other Primary Headache Disorders. In Mayo Clinic Neurology Board Review: Clinical Neurology for Initial Certification and MOC
Halker RB, Vargas BB (2015). New York, Oxford University Press
Honors & Awards
- American Academy of Neurology Emerging Leaders Forum
- American Headache Society Above and Beyond Award for Significant Service
- Outstanding Course Director Award; Mayo Clinic Headache Symposium
- American Headache Society/Merck US Human Health Scholarship Award
- University of Arizona College of Medicine Department of Community Medicine Community Scholar Award
- United States Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program
- Arizona Concussion Coalition (2013-2015)
- Headache Cooperative of the Pacific (2012)
- American Headache Society (2006)
- International Headache Society (2006)
- American Academy of Neurology (2005)
- Arizona Medical Association (1997-2015)