Bert B. Vargas, MD, FAHS is an Arizona native who grew up in Tucson and attended the University of Arizona where he obtained his undergraduate degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology. He then obtained his medical degree at the University of Arizona College of Medicine.
He then completed an internal medicine internship at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center in Phoenix, Arizona after which he served in the United States Air Force as a flight surgeon.
While on active duty, Dr. Vargas was deployed numerous times in support of Operations Northern Watch, Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi Freedom.
After completing his service, he completed his neurology residency training at New York University and his headache medicine fellowship at Mayo Clinic in Arizona.
He spent six years on faculty at Mayo Clinic in Arizona and recently moved to UT Southwestern in Dallas, Texas, where he now directs the Sports Neurology and Concussion Program and the Sports Neurology Fellowship Program. He is board certified in Neurology by the American Board of Psychology and Neurology and in Headache Medicine by the United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties and is a fellow of the American Headache society.
Dr. Vargas is on the Board of Directors of the American Headache Society and the Headache Cooperative of the Pacific. He is the chairman of the American Headache Society Post-traumatic Headache Special Interest Section and the Digital Strategy Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. His clinical and research interests include concussion, chronic migraine, post-traumatic headache, and telemedicine.
- Medical School
- University of Arizona College of Medicine (1999)
- University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix (2000), Internal Medicine
- New York University School of Medicine (2007), Neurology
- Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education (2008), Headache Medicine
- Concussion and Mild Traumatic Brain Injury
- Headache and Facial Pain
- Occipital nerve block for the short-term preventive treatment of migraine: A randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study.
- Dilli E, Halker R, Vargas B, Hentz J, Radam T, Rogers R, Dodick D Cephalalgia 2015 Oct 35 11 959-68
- A Narrative Review of Evidence-Based Preventive Options for Chronic Migraine.
- Starling AJ, Vargas BB Curr Pain Headache Rep 2015 Oct 19 10 49
- Neurostimulation for Treatment of Migraine and Cluster Headache.
- Schwedt TJ, Vargas B Pain Med 2015 Sep 16 9 1827-34
- Imploding and exploding migraine headaches: comparison of methods to diagnose pain directionality.
- Files JA, Schwedt TJ, Mayer AP, David PS, Vargas BB, Chang YH, Hunt M, Patel S, Ko MG, Tozer BS, Burstein R, Dodick DW Headache 2014 Jun 54 6 1010-8
- Long-term outcome in occipital nerve stimulation patients with medically intractable primary headache disorders.
- Brewer AC, Trentman TL, Ivancic MG, Vargas BB, Rebecca AM, Zimmerman RS, Rosenfeld DM, Dodick DW Neuromodulation 2013 Nov-Dec 16 6 557-62; discussion 563-4
- Sensitivity of MRI of the spine compared with CT myelography in orthostatic headache with CSF leak.
- Starling A, Hernandez F, Hoxworth JM, Trentman T, Halker R, Vargas BB, Hastriter E, Dodick D Neurology 2013 Nov 81 20 1789-92
- Primary exertional headache: updates in the literature.
- Halker RB, Vargas BB Curr Pain Headache Rep 2013 Jun 17 6 337
- Reliability of real-time video smartphone for assessing National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale scores in acute stroke patients.
- Demaerschalk BM, Vegunta S, Vargas BB, Wu Q, Channer DD, Hentz JG Stroke 2012 Dec 43 12 3271-7
- Teleconcussion: an innovative approach to screening, diagnosis, and management of mild traumatic brain injury.
- Vargas BB, Channer DD, Dodick DW, Demaerschalk BM Telemed J E Health 2012 Dec 18 10 803-6
- Smartphone teleradiology application is successfully incorporated into a telestroke network environment.
- Demaerschalk BM, Vargas JE, Channer DD, Noble BN, Kiernan TE, Gleason EA, Vargas BB, Ingall TJ, Aguilar MI, Dodick DW, Bobrow BJ Stroke 2012 Nov 43 11 3098-101
Migraine pathophysiology and triptan mechanism of action. In Triptans for Migraine
Halker RB, Vargas BB (2011). London, UK, Future Science Group
Headache and other craniofacial pain. In Bradley's neurology in clinical practice. 6th ed. Vol. II
Garza I, Swanson JW, Cheshire WP Jr, Boes CJ, Capobianco DJ, Vargas BB, Cutrer FM (2012). Philadelphia, Elsevier/Saunders
Calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor antagonists. In Novel Approaches in Migraine Treatment
Bravo T, Vargas BB, Halker RB (2013). London, UK, Future Medicine, Ltd.
The impact of unruptured intracranial aneurysm repair in headache management: putting the data into clinical practice. In Teleneurology in Practice: A Comprehensive Clinical Guide
Vargas BB (2015). Springer
Introduction and Approach to Headache. In Mayo Clinic Neurology Board Review: Clinical Neurology for Initial Certification and MOC
Vargas BB, Halker RB (2015). New York, Oxford University Press
Primary Headache Disorders: Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalgias, Headaches with Specific Triggers, and Other Primary Headache Disorders. In Mayo Clinic Neurology Board Review: Clinical Neurology for Initial Certification and MOC
Halker RB, Vargas BB (2015). New York, Oxford University Press
Honors & Awards
- American Academy of Neurology Emerging Leaders Forum
- American Headache Society Above and Beyond Award for Significant Service
- Outstanding Course Director Award; Mayo Clinic Headache Symposium
- American Headache Society/Merck US Human Health Scholarship Award
- University of Arizona College of Medicine Department of Community Medicine Community Scholar Award
- United States Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program
- Arizona Concussion Coalition (2013-2015)
- Headache Cooperative of the Pacific (2012)
- American Headache Society (2006)
- International Headache Society (2006)
- American Academy of Neurology (2005)
- Arizona Medical Association (1997-2015)