Paul K. Sue, M.D., is a faculty member in the division of Infectious Diseases in the Department of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern. He is a graduate of the McGill University Faculty of Medicine in Montreal, QC, and completed his internship and residency in pediatrics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Jacobi Medical Center, where he served as chief resident. He completed his fellowship in pediatric infectious diseases at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, where his research focused on the emergence and management of opportunistic infections, particularly hepatitis E virus (HEV), among immunocompromised individuals.
Dr. Sue's clinical interests include the diagnosis and management of opportunistic infections among immunocompromised hosts, antimicrobial stewardship, and global health. His research interests focus on the clinical epidemiology of viral hepatitis, particularly the emergence of HEV among immunocompromised hosts, in addition to other infections associated with pediatric transplantation and immunodeficiency.
He is a previous recipient of the Pediatric Academy Society Resident Research Award, Infectious Disease Society of America Fellow's Travel Grant award, Ruth L. Kirchstein Research Service Award (NIH T32), and the institutional award for excellence in Medical Student teaching at the Jacobi Medical Center. He is a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Infectious Disease Society of America, the American Academy for the Study of Liver Diseases, and the Pediatric Infectious Disease Society. Most recently Dr. Sue served as a reviewer and facilitator for the Infectious Disease Section at the Pediatric Academic Society meeting in 2015.
- Medical School
- McGill University Faculty of Medicine (2007)
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Jacobi Medical Center (2008), Pediatrics
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Jacobi Medical Center (2011), Pediatrics
- Johns Hopkins University Program (2014), Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Hepatitis E Virus
- Viral Hepatitis
- Successful treatment of giant condyloma in a pediatric heart transplant recipient with topical cidofovir.
- Das BB, Anton K, Knox L, Jarin J, Sue PK Transpl Infect Dis 2018 Sep e12989
- Sequential Parenteral to Oral Clindamycin Dosing in Pediatric Musculoskeletal Infection: A Retrospective Review of 30mg/kg/day vs 40mg/kg/day.
- Erickson CM, Sue PK, Stewart K, Thomas MI, Lindsay EA, Jo C, Copley LA Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2016 Jun
- Cytomegalovirus Enterocolitis in Immunocompetent Young Children: A Report of Two Cases and Review of the Literature.
- Sue PK, Salazar-Austin NM, McDonald OG, Rishi A, Cornish TC, Arav-Boger R Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2016 Feb
- Hepatitis E Virus Infection Among Solid Organ Transplant Recipients at a North American Transplant Center.
- Sue PK, Pisanic N, Heaney CD, Forman M, Valsamakis A, Jackson AM, Ticehurst JR, Montgomery RA, Schwarz KB, Nelson KE, Karnsakul W Open Forum Infect Dis 2016 Jan 3 1 ofw006
- Variability of hepatitis E serologic assays in a pediatric liver transplant recipient: challenges to diagnosing hepatitis E virus infection in the United States.
- Sue PK, Pisanic N, Heaney CD, Mixson-Hayden T, Kamili S, Nelson K, Schwarz KB, Forman M, Valsamakis A, Karnsakul W, Ticehurst J Transpl Infect Dis 2015 Feb
- First report of Westerdykella dispersa as a cause of an angioinvasive fungal infection in a neutropenic host.
- Sue PK, Gurda GT, Lee R, Watkins T, Green R, Memon W, Milstone AM, Zelazny AM, Fahle GA, Pham TA, Gibas CF, Sutton DA, Wickes BL, Wiederhold NP, Zhang SX J. Clin. Microbiol. 2014 Dec 52 12 4407-11
- Typhoid Fever in an inner city hospital: a 5-year retrospective review.
- Farmakiotis D, Varughese J, Sue P, Andrews P, Brimmage M, Dobroszycki J, Coyle CM J Travel Med 2013 Jan-Feb 20 1 17-21
Recommended Empiric Antimicrobial Therapy for Selected Clinical Syndromes. In McMillian J, Carroll K, Lee C, Siberry G, eds. The Harriet Lane Handbook of Pediatric Antimicrobial Therapy. 2nd ed.
Hiruy H, Gowtham S, Sue P. (2014). Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier-Saunders.
Herpes simplex virus. In Cabana MD, Brakeman P, Curran M, Dimeglio DA, Golden WC, Goldsby R, Hartman A, Kind T, Lightdale JL, Sabella C, Tanel R, eds. The 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. 7th ed.
Sue PK, Golden WC. (2015). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins.
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists
D Magazine (2018)
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2016)
- Travel Grant Recipient
Infectious Disease Society of America (2014)
- Resident Research Award
American Pediatric Association, Pediatric Academic Society (2011)
- Ruth L. Kirchstein National Research Service Award
National Institutes of Health (T32) (2011)
- Resident Award for Excellence in Medical Student Teaching
Department of Pediatrics, Jacobi Medical Center (2008)
- Scholar Athlete Award
McGill University, Faculty of Medicine (2005)
- Infectious Disease Society of America (2014)
- American Academy for the Study of Liver Disease (2012)
- Pediatric Infectious Disease Society (2010)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2007)
- American Medical Association