Margaret A. Phillips was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1959. She received her undergraduate degree in Biochemistry from the University of California, Davis (1981) and her PhD in Pharmaceutical Chemistry from the University of California, San Francisco (1988), where she was also a postdoctoral fellow in the Dept. of Biochemistry (1988-1992).
Dr. Phillips is currently Professor and Chair of the Department of Biochemistry at UT Southwestern, where her research focuses on biochemistry and drug discovery in parasitic protozoa.
- University of California-Davis (1981), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- University of California-Sfran (1988), Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Drug design in protozoan parasites
- Pyrimidine metabolism in trypanosome and malaria parasites
- Regulation and function of polyamine biosynthesis in African trypanosomes
- Relief of autoinhibition by conformational switch explains enzyme activation by a catalytically dead paralog.
- Volkov OA, Kinch L, Ariagno C, Deng X, Zhong S, Grishin N, Tomchick DR, Chen Z, Phillips MA Elife 2016 Dec 5
- Pyrimidine Salvage Enzymes Are Essential for De Novo Biosynthesis of Deoxypyrimidine Nucleotides in Trypanosoma brucei.
- Leija C, Rijo-Ferreira F, Kinch LN, Grishin NV, Nischan N, Kohler JJ, Hu Z, Phillips MA PLoS Pathog. 2016 Nov 12 11 e1006010
- A long-duration dihydroorotate dehydrogenase inhibitor (DSM265) for prevention and treatment of malaria.
- Phillips MA, Lotharius J, Marsh K, White J, Dayan A, White KL, Njoroge JW, El Mazouni F, Lao Y, Kokkonda S, Tomchick DR, Deng X, Laird T, Bhatia SN, March S, Ng CL, Fidock DA, Wittlin S, Lafuente-Monasterio M, Benito FJ, Alonso LM, Martinez MS, Jimenez-Diaz MB, Bazaga SF, Angulo-Barturen I, Haselden JN, Louttit J, Cui Y, Sridhar A, Zeeman AM, Kocken C, Sauerwein R, Dechering K, Avery VM, Duffy S, Delves M, Sinden R, Ruecker A, Wickham KS, Rochford R, Gahagen J, Iyer L, Riccio E, Mirsalis J, Bathhurst I, Rueckle T, Ding X, Campo B, Leroy D, Rogers MJ, Rathod PK, Burrows JN, Charman SA Sci Transl Med 2015 Jul 7 296 296ra111
- Allosteric regulation of an essential trypanosome polyamine biosynthetic enzyme by a catalytically dead homolog
- Willert, E.K. and Phillips, M.A. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2007 104 8275-8280
- Identification of Trypanosoma brucei AdoMetDC inhibitors using a high-throughput mass spectrometry-based assay.
- Volkov OA, Cosner CC, Brockway AJ, Kramer M, Booker M, Zhong S, Ketcherside A, Wei S, Longgood J, McCoy MK, Richardson TE, Wring SA, Peel M, Klinger JD, Posner BA, De Brabander JK, Phillips MA ACS Infect Dis 2017 Mar
- Safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and activity of the novel long-acting antimalarial DSM265: a two-part first-in-human phase 1a/1b randomised study.
- McCarthy JS, Lotharius J, Rückle T, Chalon S, Phillips MA, Elliott S, Sekuloski S, Griffin P, Ng CL, Fidock DA, Marquart L, Williams NS, Gobeau N, Bebrevska L, Rosario M, Marsh K, Möhrle JJ Lancet Infect Dis 2017 Mar
- Tetrahydro-2-naphthyl and 2-indanyl triazolopyrimidines targeting Plasmodium falciparum dihydroorotate dehydrogenase display potent and selective antimalarial activity.
- Kokkonda S, Deng X, White KL, Coterón JM, Marco M, de Las Heras L, White J, El Mazouni F, Tomchick DR, Manjalanagara K, Rudra KR, Chen G, Morizzi J, Ryan E, Kaminsky W, Leroy D, Martínez-Martínez MS, Jimenez Diaz MB, Bazaga SF, Angulo-Barturen I, Waterson D, Burrows JN, Matthews D, Charman SA, Phillips MA, Rathod PK J. Med. Chem. 2016 Apr
- GMP synthase is essential for viability and infectivity of Trypanosoma brucei despite a redundant purine salvage pathway.
- Li Q, Leija C, Rijo-Ferreira F, Chen J, Cestari I, Stuart K, Tu BP, Phillips MA Mol. Microbiol. 2015 Jun
- Fluorine modulates species selectivity in the triazolopyrimidine class of Plasmodium falciparum dihydroorotate dehydrogenase inhibitors.
- Deng X, Kokkonda S, El Mazouni F, White J, Burrows JN, Kaminsky W, Charman SA, Matthews D, Rathod PK, Phillips MA J. Med. Chem. 2014 May
- Genetic validation of Aminoacyl tRNA synthetases as drug targets in Trypanosoma brucei.
- Kalidas S, Cestari I, Monnerat S, Li Q, Regmi S, Hasle N, Labaied M, Parsons M, Stuart K, Phillips MA Eukaryotic Cell 2014 Feb
Honors & Awards
- Medicines for Malaria Venture
Project of the Year (2010)
- NIH Merit Award
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Scholars Award in Molecular Parasitology
- American Heart Association Established Investigator Award
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund, New Investigator Award in Molecular Parasitology
- American Chemical Society
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene