Margaret A. Phillips was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1959. She received her undergraduate degree in Biochemistry from the University of California, Davis (1981) and her PhD in Pharmaceutical Chemistry from the University of California, San Francisco (1988), where she was also a postdoctoral fellow in the Dept. of Biochemistry (1988-1992).
Dr. Phillips is currently Professor and Chair of the Department of Biochemistry at UT Southwestern, where her research focuses on biochemistry and drug discovery in parasitic protozoa.
- University of California-Davis (1981), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- University of California-Sfran (1988), Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Drug design in protozoan parasites
- Pyrimidine metabolism in trypanosome and malaria parasites
- Regulation and function of polyamine biosynthesis in African trypanosomes
- Identification and mechanistic understanding of dihydroorotate dehydrogenase point mutations in Plasmodium falciparum that confer in vitro resistance to the clinical candidate DSM265.
- White J, Dhingra S, Deng X, El Mazouni F, Lee M, Afanador G, Lawong A, Tomchick DR, Ng CL, Bath J, Rathod PK, Fidock DA, Phillips MA ACS Infect Dis 2018 Oct
- A dual regulatory circuit consisting of S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase protein and its reaction product controls expression of the paralogous activator prozyme in Trypanosoma brucei.
- Patel MM, Volkov OA, Leija C, Lemoff A, Phillips MA PLoS Pathog. 2018 Oct 14 10 e1007404
- Polyamines in protozoan pathogens.
- Phillips MA J. Biol. Chem. 2018 Oct
- Trypanosomatid Deoxyhypusine Synthase Activity Is Dependent on Shared Active-Site Complementation between Pseudoenzyme Paralogs.
- Afanador GA, Tomchick DR, Phillips MA Structure 2018 Aug
- Antimalarial activity of single-dose DSM265, a novel plasmodium dihydroorotate dehydrogenase inhibitor, in patients with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum or Plasmodium vivax malaria infection: a proof-of-concept, open-label, phase 2a study.
- Llanos-Cuentas A, Casapia M, Chuquiyauri R, Hinojosa JC, Kerr N, Rosario M, Toovey S, Arch RH, Phillips MA, Rozenberg FD, Bath J, Ng CL, Cowell AN, Winzeler EA, Fidock DA, Baker M, Möhrle JJ, Hooft van Huijsduijnen R, Gobeau N, Araeipour N, Andenmatten N, Rückle T, Duparc S Lancet Infect Dis 2018 Jun
- Phillips MA, Burrows JN, Manyando C, van Huijsduijnen RH, Van Voorhis WC, Wells TNC Nat Rev Dis Primers 2017 Aug 3 17050
- Identification of Trypanosoma brucei AdoMetDC inhibitors using a high-throughput mass spectrometry-based assay.
- Volkov OA, Cosner CC, Brockway AJ, Kramer M, Booker M, Zhong S, Ketcherside A, Wei S, Longgood J, McCoy MK, Richardson TE, Wring SA, Peel M, Klinger JD, Posner BA, De Brabander JK, Phillips MA ACS Infect Dis 2017 Mar
- Safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and activity of the novel long-acting antimalarial DSM265: a two-part first-in-human phase 1a/1b randomised study.
- McCarthy JS, Lotharius J, Rückle T, Chalon S, Phillips MA, Elliott S, Sekuloski S, Griffin P, Ng CL, Fidock DA, Marquart L, Williams NS, Gobeau N, Bebrevska L, Rosario M, Marsh K, Möhrle JJ Lancet Infect Dis 2017 Mar
- Relief of autoinhibition by conformational switch explains enzyme activation by a catalytically dead paralog.
- Volkov OA, Kinch L, Ariagno C, Deng X, Zhong S, Grishin N, Tomchick DR, Chen Z, Phillips MA Elife 2016 Dec 5
- Pyrimidine Salvage Enzymes Are Essential for De Novo Biosynthesis of Deoxypyrimidine Nucleotides in Trypanosoma brucei.
- Leija C, Rijo-Ferreira F, Kinch LN, Grishin NV, Nischan N, Kohler JJ, Hu Z, Phillips MA PLoS Pathog. 2016 Nov 12 11 e1006010
Honors & Awards
- Medicines for Malaria Venture
Project of the Year (2010)
- NIH Merit Award
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Scholars Award in Molecular Parasitology
- American Heart Association Established Investigator Award
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund, New Investigator Award in Molecular Parasitology
- American Chemical Society
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene