Dr. Blackburn is an Assistant Professor in the Neuroimmunology division in the Department of Neurology. He completed his medical school at the University of Kentucky College of medicine, before coming to Dallas for adult neurology residency at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Upon completing residency, he remain at UT Southwestern for fellowship in neuroimmunology. During his fellowship, Dr. Blackburn received the James. T Lubin Clinician Scientist Award from the Siegel Rare Neuroimmune Association (SRNA).
Dr. Blackburn sees patients in the Multiple Sclerosis and Neuroimmunology Clinic in the Aston Ambulatory Care Center. He has training in the diagnosis and treatment of multiple sclerosis and rare neuroimmune disorders, with particular interest in antibody-associated neurologic disorders such as neuromyelitis optica and autoimmune encephalitis. He also participates in the care of patients with neurologic complications of rheumatologic diseases and cancer.
- Medical School
- University of Kentucky College of Medicine (2014)
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (2018), Neurology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2020), Autoimmune Neurology
- Autoantibodies in Neurological Disorders
- Autoimmune Encephalitis
- Clinical Trials in Rare Neuroimmune Disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neuromyelitis Optica
- Transverse Myelitis
- Neurological autoimmune disorders with prominent gastrointestinal manifestations: A review of presentation, evaluation, and treatment.
- Blackburn KM, Kubiliun M, Harris S, Vernino S, Neurogastroenterol. Motil. 2019 Apr e13611
- Diagnostic and therapeutic strategies for management of autoimmune encephalopathies.
- Dubey D, Blackburn K, Greenberg B, Stuve O, Vernino S Expert Rev Neurother 2016 May 1-13
- Antibody Testing for Neurological Autoimmune Disorders: Evaluation of Best Practices at a Tertiary Referral Center.
- Fredrich SE, Vernino S, Blackburn KM, Front Neurol 2021 12 690415
- Utilization of video oculography to quantify oculomotor dysfunction in anti-DPPX encephalitis: A case study.
- Blackburn K, Vernino S, Sguigna P, Mult Scler Relat Disord 2020 Aug 46 102460
- NMDA receptor antibody seropositivity in psychosis: A pilot study from the Bipolar-Schizophrenia Network for Intermediate Phenotypes (B-SNIP).
- Blackburn KM, Ivleva EI, Weir RA, Kim M, Hopkins SC, Hudgens-Haney ME, Keedy SK, Gershon ES, Sweeney JA, Keshavan MS, Pearlson GD, Clementz BA, Tamminga CA, Vernino S, Schizophr. Res. 2020 Jan
- Post-infectious neurological disorders.
- Blackburn KM, Wang C, Ther Adv Neurol Disord 2020 13 1756286420952901
- Revisiting Transverse Myelitis: Moving Toward a New Nomenclature.
- Blackburn KM, Greenberg BM, Front Neurol 2020 11 519468
- Two cases of aquaporin-4 positive neuromyelitis optica associated with T-cell lymphoma.
- Blackburn K, Wang C, Greenberg B, J. Neuroimmunol. 2019 Oct 338 577092
- Assessing recent suicidal ideation and behavior in the adult epilepsy monitoring unit.
- Husari KS, Blackburn KM, Ding K, Roaten K, Hays R, Epilepsy Behav 2019 Mar 94 100-103
- Relapsing-remitting chronic lymphocytic inflammation with pontine perivascular enhancement responsive to steroids syndrome in association with P/Q-type voltage-gated calcium channel antibody.
- Dubey D, Devine M, Blackburn K, Warnack W, J Postgrad Med 2016 Oct-Dec 62 4 269-270
Honors & Awards
- James T. Lubin Clinician Scientist Fellowship Award
- American Academy of Neurology (2014)