Dr. Bordes Edgar obtained her undergraduate degree in Psychology with high honors from UT Austin. She went on to obtain her doctorate degree in counseling psychology at Arizona State University. During that time, she received training at Children’s Hospital Boston/Harvard Medical School for her clinical internship. Dr. Bordes Edgar subsequently completed a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in neuropsychology at the University of Minnesota Medical School/Children’s Hospital from 2008 to 2010. She joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2014 and is currently Assistant Professor in Psychiatry and Pediatrics. She is the co-Director of the Division of Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics where her departmental activities include neuropsychological evaluation of children with developmental disabilities, teaching/training of graduate students, residents, and fellows. Dr. Bordes Edgar is board certified in Clinical Neuropsychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology.
Dr. Bordes Edgar’s clinical expertise is in the area of pediatric neuropsychology with particular interest in working with children who have neurodevelopmental disorders both acquired and genetic. She is bilingual/bicultural and has received specialized training in assessment and therapy in Spanish. Dr. Bordes Edgar’s research expertise is in line with her clinical interests as well as in bilingual and cultural issues related to neuropsychology.
- Bilingual (Spanish-English) and Cultural Issues in Neuropsychology
- Central Nervous System Disorders
- Genetic Disorders
- Neurodevelopmental Disabilities in Young Children
- Pediatric Neuropsychology
- Pitt-Hopkins Syndrome: A Unique Case Study.
- Tan A, Goodspeed K, Edgar VB J Int Neuropsychol Soc 2018 Oct 24 9 995-1002
- Supporting a Youth with Cerebellar Ataxia into Adolescence.
- Meneses V, Gonzalez-Castillo Z, Edgar VB, Augustyn M J Dev Behav Pediatr 2017 Mar
- Therapeutic Hypothermia after In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Children.
- Moler FW, Silverstein FS, Holubkov R, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Nadkarni VM, Meert KL, Browning B, Pemberton VL, Page K, Gildea MR, Scholefield BR, Shankaran S, Hutchison JS, Berger JT, Ofori-Amanfo G, Newth CJ, Topjian A, Bennett KS, Koch JD, Pham N, Chanani NK, Pineda JA, Harrison R, Dalton HJ, Alten J, Schleien CL, Goodman DM, Zimmerman JJ, Bhalala US, Schwarz AJ, Porter MB, Shah S, Fink EL, McQuillen P, Wu T, Skellett S, Thomas NJ, Nowak JE, Baines PB, Pappachan J, Mathur M, Lloyd E, van der Jagt EW, Dobyns EL, Meyer MT, Sanders RC, Clark AE, Dean JM N. Engl. J. Med. 2017 01 376 4 318-329
- Functional Outcome Trajectories After Out-of-Hospital Pediatric Cardiac Arrest.
- Silverstein FS, Slomine BS, Christensen J, Holubkov R, Page K, Dean JM, Moler FW Crit. Care Med. 2016 Dec 44 12 e1165-e1174
- Pediatric Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Characteristics and Their Association With Survival and Neurobehavioral Outcome.
- Meert KL, Telford R, Holubkov R, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Dean JM, Moler FW Pediatr Crit Care Med 2016 Dec 17 12 e543-e550
- Targeted Temperature Management After Pediatric Cardiac Arrest Due To Drowning: Outcomes and Complications.
- Moler FW, Hutchison JS, Nadkarni VM, Silverstein FS, Meert KL, Holubkov R, Page K, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Dean JM Pediatr Crit Care Med 2016 Aug 17 8 712-20
- Therapeutic Hypothermia after Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Children.
- Moler FW, Silverstein FS, Holubkov R, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Nadkarni VM, Meert KL, Clark AE, Browning B, Pemberton VL, Page K, Shankaran S, Hutchison JS, Newth CJ, Bennett KS, Berger JT, Topjian A, Pineda JA, Koch JD, Schleien CL, Dalton HJ, Ofori-Amanfo G, Goodman DM, Fink EL, McQuillen P, Zimmerman JJ, Thomas NJ, van der Jagt EW, Porter MB, Meyer MT, Harrison R, Pham N, Schwarz AJ, Nowak JE, Alten J, Wheeler DS, Bhalala US, Lidsky K, Lloyd E, Mathur M, Shah S, Wu T, Theodorou AA, Sanders RC, Dean JM N. Engl. J. Med. 2015 Apr
- Predictors of independent living status in adult survivors of childhood cancer: A report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.
- Kunin-Batson A, Kadan-Lottick N, Zhu L, Cox C, Bordes-Edgar V, Srivastava DK, Zeltzer L, Robison LL, Krull KR Pediatric blood & cancer 2011 Feb
- A longitudinal analysis of Latina/o students' academic persistence
- Bordes-Edgar V, Arredondo P, Robinson Kurpius S, Rund J. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education 2011 10 358-368
- The psychohistorical approach in family counseling with Mestizo/Latino immigrants: A continuum and synergy of worldviews
- Arredondo P, Davison Aviles R, Zalaquett C, Rodriguez Gracioso M. del P, Bordes V, Hita L, Lopez B. The Family Journal: Counseling and Therapy for Couples and Families 2006 14 13-27
Mexicans, Mexican Americans, Caribbean, and other Latin American. In Ethnocultural Perspectives on Disaster and Trauma. A. J. Marsella, J. L. Johnson, P. Watson, J. Gryczynski (Eds.)
Arredondo P, Bordes V, Paniagua F. (2008). New York: Springer; 299-320.
Cultural Values. In Adaptation Guidelines for Serving Latino Children and Families Affected by Trauma
Perez M, Valdez G, Bordes V, Carrasco N. (2008). San Diego, CA: Chadwick Center for Children and Families.
Barriers and Practical Approaches to Neuropsychological Assessment of Spanish Speakers. In Minority and Cross-Cultural Aspects of Neuropsychological Assessment: Enduring and Emerging Trends. F. R. Ferraro (Ed.)
Salinas CM, Bordes-Edgar V, Puente A. (2016). New York: Taylor & Francis; 229-258.
Cultural competencies for higher education personnel working with Latinas/os: Challenging our cognitive and behavioral flexibility. In Handbook for Latina/os in higher education: A camino largo, paso corto. A. M. Gloria, J. Castellanos (Eds.)
Arredondo P, Bordes V. (in press).
Culture and Language Diversity in Pediatric Neuropsychology. In Clinical Cultural Neuroscience. O. Pedraza (Ed.)
Bordes Edgar V, Romero RA. (in press).
Honors & Awards
- Early Career Psychologist Service Award
American Board of Professional Psychology (2018)
- Student Scholarship
National Latina/o Psychological Association (2008)
- Distinguished Doctoral Candidate Award
Arizona State University Faculty Women's Association (2007)
- Excellence in Campus Leadership Award
American Psychological Association of Graduate Students (2005)
- Presidential Citation for Professional Leadership and Service
National Latina/o Psychological Association (2004)
Ford Foundation - The National Academies (2003)
- Society for Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics (2016)
- American Board of Professional Psychology (2014)
- American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology (2012)
- National Academy of Neuropsychology (2012)
- American Psychological Association (2009)
- Hispanic Neuropsychological Society (2007)
- International Neuropsychological Society (2007)
- Society for Clinical Neuropsychology (2007)
- Society for the Psychological Study of Culture, Ethnicity and Race (2007)
- National Latina/o Psychological Association (2002)