Dr. Stern graduated from Northwestern University. She received her PhD in Nutritional Biology from UC Davis where she studied the role of calorie restriction on age-related changes in energy metabolism. After completing an R25 postdoctoral fellowship in Cancer Prevention and Control at the University of Arizona, she came to UT Southwestern to study the role of glucagon signaling in Type 2 Diabetes with her mentors Dr. Philipp Scherer and Dr. Roger Unger.
- Glucagon Signaling in Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes
- Adiponectin, Leptin, and Fatty Acids in the Maintenance of Metabolic Homeostasis through Adipose Tissue Crosstalk.
- Stern JH, Rutkowski JM, Scherer PE Cell Metab. 2016 May 23 5 770-84
- Transwomen and the Metabolic Syndrome: Is Orchiectomy Protective?
- Nelson MD, Szczepaniak LS, Wei J, Szczepaniak E, Sánchez FJ, Vilain E, Stern JH, Bergman RN, Bairey Merz CN, Clegg DJ Transgend Health 2016 1 1 165-171
- The cell biology of fat expansion.
- Rutkowski JM, Stern JH, Scherer PE J. Cell Biol. 2015 Mar 208 5 501-12
- Adipose tissue biology in 2014: Advances in our understanding of adipose tissue homeostasis.
- Stern JH, Scherer PE Nat Rev Endocrinol 2015 Feb 11 2 71-2
- Short sleep duration is associated with decreased serum leptin, increased energy intake and decreased diet quality in postmenopausal women.
- Stern JH, Grant AS, Thomson CA, Tinker L, Hale L, Brennan KM, Woods NF, Chen Z Obesity (Silver Spring) 2014 May 22 5 E55-61
- The influence of shc proteins on the whole body energetic response to calorie restriction initiated in 3-month-old mice.
- Stern JH, Kim K, Ramsey JJ ISRN Nutr 2014 2014 562075
- The influence of acute, late-life calorie restriction on whole body energy metabolism in p66Shc(-/-) mice.
- Stern JH, Kim K, Ramsey JJ Mech. Ageing Dev. 2012 Jun 133 6 414-20
- The influence of shc proteins and aging on whole body energy expenditure and substrate utilization in mice.
- Stern JH, Kim K, Ramsey JJ PLoS ONE 2012 7 11 e48790
- Teaching comparative metabolism using a graphic computer model, Virtual Tissue.
- Rossow HA, Stern JH Adv Physiol Educ 2011 Mar 35 1 99-102
Honors & Awards
- K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award
National Institutes of Health (2017-2022)
- F32 Postdoctoral Individual National Research Service Award
National Institutes of Health (2015-2017)