Dr. Udden is an immuno-oncology scientist with expertise in DNA damage response, mucosal immunity, host pathogen interaction, tumor microenvironment and tumor immunology. He obtained his Ph.D. in 2014 from Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine. His graduate work focused the functional interrelation between non-receptor tyrosine kinase c-ABL and tumor suppressor protein p53 during DNA damage response.
He did his postdoctoral training in Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. During his postdoctoral training he investigated functional interaction between gut microbiome and pattern recognition receptors such as TLRs, NLRs, and their involvement in gastrointestinal disorders such as inflammatory bowel disease, colorectal cancer and hepatocellular carcinogenesis.
Dr. Udden joined the department of Radiation Oncology on May 2018. His current research focuses on elucidating molecular mechanisms of endocrine therapy resistance in breast cancer, establishing patient-derived xenograft models to test novel therapeutic agents against treatment-refractory breast cancer, and investigating the role of gut microbiome in regulating the efficacy of anti-cancer therapy.
- University of Dhaka (2005), Molecular Biology
- Graduate School
- (2014), Medical Sciences
- BET inhibitors / epigenetic approach for endocrine therapy resistant breast cancer
- Breast cancer, colorectal cancer, and hepatocellular carcinoma
- Gut microbiome in regulating the efficacy of anti-cancer therapy
- Novel therapeutic agents against treatment-refractory breast cancer
- Radiation-mediated immunity and tumor regression
- Tumor immunology
- Targeting ESR1 mutation-Induced transcriptional addiction in breast cancer with BET inhibition.
- Udden SN, Wang Q, Kumar S, Malladi VS, Wu SY, Wei S, Posner BA, Geboers S, Williams NS, Liu YL, Sharma JK, Mani RS, Malladi S, Parra K, Hofstad M, Raj GV, Larios JM, Jagsi R, Wicha MS, Park BH, Gupta GP, Chinnaiyan AM, Chiang CM, Alluri PG, JCI Insight 2022 Jul
- LncRNA HOTAIR regulates glucose transporter Glut1 expression and glucose uptake in macrophages during inflammation.
- Obaid M, Udden SMN, Alluri P, Mandal SS, Sci Rep 2021 01 11 1 232
- NLRP12 suppresses hepatocellular carcinoma via downregulation of cJun N-terminal kinase activation in the hepatocyte.
- Udden SN, Kwak YT, Godfrey V, Khan MAW, Khan S, Loof N, Peng L, Zhu H, Zaki H, Elife 2019 Apr 8
- LncRNA HOTAIR regulates lipopolysaccharide-induced cytokine expression and inflammatory response in macrophages.
- Obaid M, Udden SMN, Deb P, Shihabeddin N, Zaki MH, Mandal SS Sci Rep 2018 Oct 8 1 15670
- Inflammatory Proteomic Network Analysis of Statin-treated and Lipopolysaccharide-activated Macrophages.
- Kamal AHM, Chakrabarty JK, Udden SMN, Zaki MH, Chowdhury SM Sci Rep 2018 Jan 8 1 164
- NOD2 Suppresses Colorectal Tumorigenesis via Downregulation of the TLR Pathways.
- Udden SMN, Peng L, Gan JL, Shelton JM, Malter JS, Hooper LV, Zaki MH Cell Rep 2017 Jun 19 13 2756-2770
- The Ex Vivo Colon Organ Culture and Its Use in Antimicrobial Host Defense Studies.
- Udden SM, Waliullah S, Harris M, Zaki H J Vis Exp 2017 Feb 120
- c-ABL tyrosine kinase modulates p53-dependent p21 induction and ensuing cell fate decision in response to DNA damage.
- Udden SM, Morita-Fujimura Y, Satake M, Ikawa S Cell. Signal. 2014 Feb 26 2 444-52
- Quorum-regulated biofilms enhance the development of conditionally viable, environmental Vibrio cholerae.
- Kamruzzaman M, Udden SM, Cameron DE, Calderwood SB, Nair GB, Mekalanos JJ, Faruque SM Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 Jan 107 4 1588-93
- Effect of phage on the infectivity of Vibrio cholerae and emergence of genetic variants.
- Zahid MS, Udden SM, Faruque AS, Calderwood SB, Mekalanos JJ, Faruque SM Infect. Immun. 2008 Nov 76 11 5266-73
Honors & Awards
- AAI Trainee Abstract Award
- Tohoku University Travel Award
- Monbukagakusho Scholarship, The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), Japan
- Undergraduate/Graduate Scholarship, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
- American Association of Immunologist (2018)
- American Association for Advancement of Sciences (2011)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2011)
- Bangladesh Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (2005)