Dr. Strand completed his PhD in the laboratory of David Rowley, PhD in the department of Molecular and Cellular Biology at Baylor College of Medicine. There he worked on the molecular mechanisms regulating reactive stroma in prostate cancer. From there Dr. Strand moved on to the laboratory of Simon Hayward, PhD in the Urology department at Vanderbilt University to perform his post-doctoral training. It was here that Dr. Strand developed an interest in solving the cellular and molecular pathogenesis of benign prostatic hyperplasia. In 2014, Dr. Strand joined forces with Claus Roehrborn, MD, chair of the Urology department at UT Southwestern and a world-renowned expert in BPH treatment. Dr. Strand has developed an unparalleled human tissue biorepository that is used for his translational research program and is actively pursuing molecular targets for the development of novel medical treatments for this widespread disease.
- Liberty University (2001), Biology
- Graduate School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2007), Molecular & Cell Biology
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- Prostate Cancer
- A Cellular Anatomy of the Normal Adult Human Prostate and Prostatic Urethra.
- Henry GH, Malewska A, Joseph DB, Malladi VS, Lee J, Torrealba J, Mauck RJ, Gahan JC, Raj GV, Roehrborn CG, Hon GC, MacConmara MP, Reese JC, Hutchinson RC, Vezina CM, Strand DW Cell Rep 2018 Dec 25 12 3530-3542.e5
- Targeting phenotypic heterogeneity in benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Strand DW, Costa DN, Francis F, Ricke WA, Roehrborn CG Differentiation 2017 Aug 96 49-61
- Molecular pathogenesis of human prostate basal cell hyperplasia.
- Henry G, Malewska A, Mauck R, Gahan J, Hutchinson R, Torrealba J, Francis F, Roehrborn C, Strand D Prostate 2017 Aug
Honors & Awards
- AUA Travel Award
Mentored training grant on the role of metabolism in prostate differentiation and disease (2013-2018)
- StarBrite VICTR award
Pilot funding to study the role of inflammation in BPH progression (2013-2014)
- SBUR Travel award and podium presentation
- NIH LRP award
Loan repayment program award (2010-2012)
- StarBrite VICTR award
Pilot funding to study the role of lipid metabolism in prostate cancer (2010-2011)
- DoD Postdoctoral Training Award
2 year fellowship to study the role of stomal-epithelial interactions in prostate cancer progression (2009-2011)
- SBUR travel award
- GUDMAP (2018)
- American Urological Association (2014)
- Society for Basic Urologic Research (2009)