Dr. Strand completed his PhD in the laboratory of David Rowley, PhD in the department of Molecular and Cellular Biology at Baylor College of Medicine. There he worked on the molecular mechanisms regulating reactive stroma in prostate cancer. From there Dr. Strand moved on to the laboratory of Simon Hayward, PhD in the Urology department at Vanderbilt University to perform his post-doctoral training. It was here that Dr. Strand developed an interest in solving the cellular and molecular pathogenesis of benign prostatic hyperplasia and lower urinary tract dysfunction. In 2014, Dr. Strand joined with Claus Roehrborn, MD, chair of the Urology department at UT Southwestern and a world-renowned expert in BPH/LUTS treatment. Dr. Strand has developed an unparalleled human tissue biorepository that is used for his translational research program that uses single cell and spatial transcriptomic approaches. He is a member of the GenitoUrinary Development Molecular Atlas Program (GUDMAP), the Human Cell Atlas (HCA), the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI), and the HUman BioMolecular Atlas Program (HUBMAP).
- Liberty University (2001), Biology
- Graduate School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2007), Molecular & Cell Biology
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- bladder cancer
- detrusor dysfunction
- Prostate Cancer
- 5-alpha reductase inhibitors induce a prostate luminal to club cell transition in human benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Joseph DB, Henry GH, Malewska A, Reese JC, Mauck RJ, Gahan JC, Hutchinson RC, Mohler JL, Roehrborn CG, Strand DW, J Pathol 2021 Dec
- Single cell analysis of mouse and human prostate reveals novel fibroblasts with specialized distribution and microenvironment interactions.
- Joseph DB, Henry GH, Malewska A, Reese JC, Mauck RJ, Gahan JC, Hutchinson RC, Malladi VS, Roehrborn CG, Vezina CM, Strand DW, J Pathol 2021 Jun
- Progenitors in prostate development and disease.
- Joseph DB, Turco AE, Vezina CM, Strand DW, Dev Biol 2021 May 473 50-58
- Urethral luminal epithelia are castration-insensitive cells of the proximal prostate.
- Joseph DB, Henry GH, Malewska A, Iqbal NS, Ruetten HM, Turco AE, Abler LL, Sandhu SK, Cadena MT, Malladi VS, Reese JC, Mauck RJ, Gahan JC, Hutchinson RC, Roehrborn CG, Baker LA, Vezina CM, Strand DW, Prostate 2020 08 80 11 872-884
- A Cellular Anatomy of the Normal Adult Human Prostate and Prostatic Urethra.
- Henry GH, Malewska A, Joseph DB, Malladi VS, Lee J, Torrealba J, Mauck RJ, Gahan JC, Raj GV, Roehrborn CG, Hon GC, MacConmara MP, Reese JC, Hutchinson RC, Vezina CM, Strand DW Cell Rep 2018 Dec 25 12 3530-3542.e5
- PSA density is associated with BPH cellular composition.
- Jia L, Strand DW, Goueli RS, Gahan JC, Roehrborn CG, Mauck RJ, Prostate 2022 Jun
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Features Associated with Histology of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Nodules: Generation of a Predictive Model.
- Dai JC, Morgan TN, Goueli R, Parrott D, Kenigsberg A, Mauck RJ, Roehrborn C, Strand DW, Costa DN, Gahan JC, J Endourol 2021 Sep
- Targeting phenotypic heterogeneity in benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Strand DW, Costa DN, Francis F, Ricke WA, Roehrborn CG Differentiation 2017 Aug 96 49-61
- Molecular pathogenesis of human prostate basal cell hyperplasia.
- Henry G, Malewska A, Mauck R, Gahan J, Hutchinson R, Torrealba J, Francis F, Roehrborn C, Strand D Prostate 2017 Aug
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: Etiology, Pathophysiology, Epidemiology, and Natural History. In Campbell-Walsh-Wein Urology
Claus Roehrborn and Douglas Strand (2020). Philadelphia, PA, Elselvier Saunders
Honors & Awards
- AUA Travel Award
Mentored training grant on the role of metabolism in prostate differentiation and disease (2013-2018)
- StarBrite VICTR award
Pilot funding to study the role of inflammation in BPH progression (2013-2014)
- NIH LRP award
Loan repayment program award (2010-2012)
- StarBrite VICTR award
Pilot funding to study the role of lipid metabolism in prostate cancer (2010-2011)
- DoD Postdoctoral Training Award
2 year fellowship to study the role of stomal-epithelial interactions in prostate cancer progression (2009-2011)
- SBUR travel award
- SOBPD (2021)
- HCA (2020)
- HUBMAP (2020)
- GUDMAP (2018)
- American Urological Association (2014)
- Society for Basic Urologic Research (2009)