Sarah E. Baker, M.D., M.A., serves as Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW). Dr. Baker holds a B.A. in History from Rice University, as well as an M.A. in Medical Humanities and an M.D. from the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB). Her graduate studies focused on the cultivation of empathy during medical training. She completed her general psychiatry residency at UTSW. During her residency, she was the recipient of the Group for Advancement of Psychiatry Fellowship, the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law’s Rappeport Fellowship, and the Association for Academic Psychiatry Fellowship Award, along with the Residency Education Committee Award for Excellence and the Outstanding Resident Contribution to Medical Student Education Award at UTSW. After graduation, Dr. Baker completed a forensic psychiatry fellowship at Yale School of Medicine.
Dr. Baker currently serves as an Associate Dean for Student Affairs for the medical school and leads the Mental Health, Policy, and Law area of concentration for the psychiatry residency program. She previously served as the Psychiatry Clerkship Director at UTSW. As a faculty member, she has won the UTSW Faculty Medical Student Education Award in the Department of Psychiatry and the Association for Academic Psychiatry Early Career Development Award. Dr. Baker’s academic interests include forensic psychiatry, community psychiatry, advocacy, and medical education. She is board certified in psychiatry and in forensic psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
- Other Post Graduate Training
- UT Medical Branch at Galveston (2013)
- Graduate School
- UT Medical Branch at Galveston (2013), Medical Education
- Medical School
- UT Medical Branch at Galveston (2014), Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2018), Psychiatry
- Yale School of Medicine, Division of Law and Psychiatry (2019), Forensic Psychiatry
- A Winning Case? Assessing the Effectiveness of a Mock Trial in a General Psychiatry Residency Program.
- Baker SE, Ogundipe K, Sterwald C, Van Enkevort EA, Brenner A, Acad Psychiatry 2019 Apr
- Incorporating Critical Reflection Activities into Psychiatry Education.
- Baker SE, Escamilla K, Ngo SH, Camp ME, Acad Psychiatry 2019 Apr 43 2 209-214
- How Medical Students View the Influence of a Student-Run Free Clinic on Empathy Development: a Pilot Study.
- Baker SE, Brenner A, Acad Psychiatry 2018 06 42 3 428-429
- Inadvertent stigmatization of mental disorders in a primary care setting.
- Baker SE, Pearson RM, Glenn JE, Tex Med 2015 Feb 111 2 66-70
- Manikin-Based Simulation: an Update to the Clerkship Experience.
- Baker SE, Escamilla K, Jacobs M, Sherhart R, Trello-Rishel K, Fuehrlein B, Acad Psychiatry 2021 May
- Adult ADHD: Pharmacologic treatment in the DSM-5 era
- Parikh A, Baker S Current Psychiatry 2016 15 10 18-25
Honors & Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Faculty Inductee
UTSW Chapter of AOA (2023)
- Early Career Development Award
Association for Academic Psychiatry (2022)
- Fellowship Award
Association for Academic Psychiatry (2017)
- Rappeport Fellowship
American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law (2017)
Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry (2016)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law (2016)
- American Medical Association (2009)
- American Psychiatric Association (2014)
- Association for Academic Psychiatry (2016)
- Texas Medical Association (2009)
- Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians (2014)