Dr. Yan Peng completed her pediatric residency/chief resident at Beijing Medical University Hospitals and practiced there as a pediatric nephrologist for two years. After a combined six years of basic research on kidney disease at Mayo Clinic in Rochester and UT Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW), she went to University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) for pathology residency. After residency training, she completed two ACGME fellowships in Breast and Gynecologic Pathology and Cytopathology at UPMC and Harvard Medical School, respectively.
Dr. Peng is a surgical pathologist and cytopathologist with extensive expertise in breast and gynecologic pathology and certified by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology, Clinical Pathology and Cytopathology. She is pathology representative at the Cancer Committee of the NCI-designated comprehensive Simmons Cancer Center. She served as Medical Director of Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry Laboratory and Tumor Biomarker Image Analysis Laboratory for about 10 years.
Dr. Peng has participated in multiple National Cancer Institute (NCI) breast and gynecologic cancer clinical trials. She serves as a clinical investigator for the NCI Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program. She is co-investigator in multiple NIH RO1 funded research projects on identifying novel therapeutic targets for triple negative breast cancer.
Dr. Peng has published more than 90 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters. She is an editor for a textbook entitled Practical Breast Pathology (Springer) and serves as an editorial board member for multiple scientific journals including Human Pathology.
Dr. Peng is a member of University Faculty Promotion and Tenure Committee. She is chair of Pathology Faculty Mentoring Committee and facility site director of breast pathology fellowship. She is past president of North Texas Society of Pathologists.
- Medical School
- Beijing Medical University (1986)
- Beijing University Hospital (1989), Pediatrics
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Beijing Medical University, China (1991)
- Graduate School
- Beijing Medical University, China (1991)
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine (1995), Physiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1999), Molecular Nephrology Research
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (2003), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Magee Womens Hospital (2004), Breast & Gynecologic Pathology
- Harvard Medical School/Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (2005), Cytopathology
- Breast Cancer and Gynecologic Cancer Pathology
- Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry: Theranostic and Genomic Applications
- Prognostic and predictive tumor biomarkers
- Ribosome ADP-ribosylation inhibits translation and maintains proteostasis in cancers.
- Challa S, Khulpateea BR, Nandu T, Camacho CV, Ryu KW, Chen H, Peng Y, Lea JS, Kraus WL, Cell 2021 Jul
- HER2 Positive and HER2 Negative Classical Type Invasive Lobular Carcinomas: Comparison of Clinicopathologic Features.
- He L, Araj E, Peng Y, Curr Oncol 2021 Apr 28 3 1608-1617
- The Changing Paradigm for the Treatment of HER2-Positive Breast Cancer.
- Patel A, Unni N, Peng Y, Cancers (Basel) 2020 Jul 12 8
- Identification of BBOX1 as a Therapeutic Target in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer.
- Liao C, Zhang Y, Fan C, Herring LE, Liu J, Locasale JW, Takada M, Zhou J, Zurlo G, Hu L, Simon JM, Ptacek TS, Andrianov VG, Loza E, Peng Y, Yang H, Perou CM, Zhang Q, Cancer Discov 2020 Jul
- Collision Tumor of Endometrial Large Cell Neuroendocrine Carcinoma and Low-Grade Endometrial Stromal Sarcoma: A Case Report and Review of the Literature.
- Rivera G, Niu S, Chen H, Fahim D, Peng Y, Int. J. Surg. Pathol. 2020 Jan 1066896920901764
- CREB3L1 as a potential biomarker predicting response of triple negative breast cancer to doxorubicin-based chemotherapy.
- Denard B, Jiang S, Peng Y, Ye J BMC Cancer 2018 Aug 18 1 813
- Taxol Induces Brk-dependent Prosurvival Phenotypes in TNBC Cells through an AhR/GR/HIF-driven Signaling Axis.
- Regan Anderson TM, Ma S, Perez Kerkvliet C, Peng Y, Helle TM, Krutilina RI, Raj GV, Cidlowski JA, Ostrander JH, Schwertfeger KL, Seagroves TN, Lange CA Mol. Cancer Res. 2018 Jul
- Cancer stem cells in triple-negative breast cancer: a potential target and prognostic marker.
- O'Conor CJ, Chen T, González I, Cao D, Peng Y Biomark Med 2018 Jun
- ZMYND8 acetylation mediates HIF-dependent breast cancer progression and metastasis.
- Chen Y, Zhang B, Bao L, Jin L, Yang M, Peng Y, Kumar A, Wang JE, Wang C, Zou X, Xing C, Wang Y, Luo W J. Clin. Invest. 2018 May 128 5 1937-1955
- Prognostic Role of Tumoral PDL1 Expression and Peritumoral FoxP3+ Lymphocytes in Vulvar Melanomas.
- Chlopik A, Selim MA, Peng Y, Wu CL, Tell-Marti G, Paral KM, Shalin SC, Kraft S, Hsu CK, Shea CR, Puig S, Fernandez-Figueras MT, Biernat W, Rys J, Marszalek A, Hoang MP Hum. Pathol. 2018 Jan
Invasive Breast Carcinomas. In Peng Y, Kong C, and Chen Y. Practical Breast Pathology. Atkins K and Kong C (eds.), a volume in the Pattern Recognition Series. Kevin O. Leslie and Mark R.Wick (eds.).
Peng Y, Kong C, and Chen Y. (2013; 147-212). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier
Practical Breast Pathology
Peng Y, Tang P (Ed.) (2019). New York, Springer
Immunohistochemistry in Breast Cancer. In Practical Breast Pathology
Ping Tang, Marilyn M. Bui, Yan Peng (2019). New York, Springer
Breast Cancer with Hereditary Cancer Predisposition Syndromes. In Practical Breast Pathology
Roshni Rao, Caitlin B. Mauer, Margaret Chen-Seetoo, Yan Peng (2019). New York, Springer
Honors & Awards
- Session Chair, The Breast Pathology Platform Sessions for the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP) 110th annual meeting
- Outstanding peer reviewer for Human Pathology (one of leading pathology scientific journals in the US)
- Member, Abstract Review Board of United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (Breast Pathology Category)
- President, International Association of Chinese Pathologists
- President, UT Southwestern Faculty Senate
- Finalist for Best Scientific Abstract Award of American Society for Clinical Pathology (senior mentor)
- Distinguished Young Investigator Award in Medicine
Beijing, China (1993)
- Distinguished Scientist Award of Canada China Child Health Foundation
- Best National Medical Article Award