Originally from Topeka, Kansas, Dr. Penfield holds a bachelor's degree in biological science from Louisiana State University in Shreveport, Louisiana. He then earned his medical degree at Louisiana State University in Shreveport as well. He completed internal medicine and general surgery residency training at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, Mississippi. He then obtained advanced training through a fellowship in nephrology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in nephrology, Dr. Penfield joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1998. He is currently Chief of the Dialysis Unit at the VA North Texas Health Care System. He was previously Chief of the Renal Clinic from 1998 to 2016.
Dr. Penfield is the Chairman of the Dialysis Management Committee at the VA North Texas Health Care System. He is also on the Disciplinary Appeals Board for the Veterans Health Administration.
Dr. Penfield is an active member of the American Society of Nephrology.
Dr. Penfield's research interests include general nephrology, chronic kidney disease, and end-stage renal disease. His findings have led to several publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Medical School
- Louisiana State University Health Hospital (1988)
- Louisiana State University Health Hospital (1989), Transitional Year
- University Medical Center (1991), General Surgery
- UT Southwestern Clements University Hospital (1994), Medicine
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (1998), Nephrology
- Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis
- What nephrologists need to know about gadolinium.
- Jeffrey Penfield, M.D. and Robert Reilly, M.D. Nat Clin Pract Nephrol December 2007 12/3 654-668
- Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis risk: is there a difference between gadolinium-based contrast agents?
- Jeffrey Penfield, M.D. and Robert Reilly, M.D. Semin Dial March 2008 2/21 129-134
- The patient with disorders of serum calcium and phosphorus
- Jeffrey Penfield, M.D. and Robert Reilly, M.D. Manual of Nephrology diagnosis and therapy. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW) 2007 6th edition
- Multiple myeloma in end-stage renal disease.
- Jeffrey Penfield, M.D. Semin Dial August 2006 4/19 329-34.
- Disorders of Phosphate and Magnesium Disorders
- Edited by Frederic Coe and Murray Favus Disorders of Bone and Mineral Metabolism 2002 Second Edition
- American Society of Nephrology