Margaret Pearle, M.D., Ph.D., is a Professor with joint appointments in UT Southwestern Medical Center's Department of Urology and the Mineral Metabolism Center, and is holder of the Ralph C. Smith Distinguished Chair in Urologic Education.
She sees patients who need medical or surgical treatment for kidney stones.
Dr. Pearle received her medical degree from the University of Chicago and completed her residency at Northwestern University Medical Center. She attended Washington University School of Medicine for her fellowship.
Her research interests include evaluation of dietary and medical therapies for kidney stone prevention, assessment of outcomes for minimally invasive surgical treatments, and development and assessment of resident teaching tools. She has published and spoken extensively on these topics.
Texas Monthly has named Dr. Pearle a Super Doctor. She is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, a Trustee of the American Board of Urology, a member of the American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons and the American Urological Association, and a member of the Board of Directors of the Endourological Society.
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1987)
- Northwestern University Medical Center (1988), General Surgery
- Northwestern University Medical Center (1993), Urology
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (1994), Urology
- Medical therapy for stone disease
- Minimally invasive surgical therapy for stone disease
- Surgical education and use of virtual reality simulation
- Urological outcomes research in endourology and stone disease
- Prospective, randomized trial comparing shock wave lithotripsy and ureteroscopy for lower pole calyceal calculi 1 cm or less in size.
- Pearle, M. S., Lingeman, J. E., Leveillee, R., Kuo, R., Preminger, G. M., Nadler, R. B., Macaluso, J., Monga, M. Kumar, U., Dushinski, J., Albala, D. M., Wolf, J. S. Jr., Assimos, D., Fabrizio, M., Munch, L, C., Nakada, S. Y., Auge, B., Honey, J., Ogan, K., Pattaras, J., McDougall, E. M., Averch, T., D., Turk, T., Pietrow, P. and Watkins. S. J. Urol. 2005 173 2005-2009
- Urologic Diseases in America Project: Urolithiasis
- Pearle, M. S., Calhoun, E. A., Curhan, G. C. and The Urologic Diseases in America Project: J. Urol. 2005 173 848-857
- AUA Nephrolithiasis Guideline Panel. Chapter 1: AUA guideline on management of staghorn calculi: diagnosis and treatment recommendations
- Preminger, G. M., Assimos, D. G., Lingeman, J. E., Nakada, S. Y., Pearle, M. S., Wolf, J. S. Jr. J. Urol. 2005 173 1991-2000
- Cost effectiveness of medical management strategies for nephrolithiasis
- Lotan Y., Cadeddu, J.A., Roehrborn, C.G., Pak, C.Y.C. and Pearle, M.S. J Urol 2004 172 667-671
- Effect of ascorbic acid consumption on urinary stone risk factors
- Traxer, O., Huet, B., Poindexter, J., Pak, C.Y.C. and Pearle, M.S. J Urol 2003 170 397-401
- A randomized, controlled, prospective study validating the acquisition of percutaneous renal collecting system access skills using a computer-based hybrid virtual reality surgical simulator ? phase I.
- Knudsen, B. E., Matsumoto, E. D., Chew, B. H., Johnson, B., Margulis, V., Cadeddu, J. A.,. Pearle. M. S., Pautler. S. E., and. Denstedt, J. D. J. Urol. 2006 176 2173-2178
- The contemporary management of renal and ureteric calculi
- Galvin, D. J. and Pearle, M. S. BJU Int. 2006 98 1283-1288
- Effect of high and low calcium diet on stone-forming risk during liberal oxalate intake
- Matsumoto, E., Heller, H. J., Adams-Huet, B., Brinkely, L. J., Pak, C. Y. C. and Pearle M. S. J. Urol. 2006 176 132-136
- Effect of cranberry juice consumption on urinary stone risk factors.
- Gettman, M., Ogan, K., Brinkley, L., Adams-Huett, B., Pak, C. Y. C., and Pearle, M. S. J. Urol. 2005 174 590-594
- International Comparison of Cost-Effectiveness of Medical Management Strategies for Nephrolithiasis
- Lotan, Y., Cadeddu, J. A. and Pearle, M. S. Urol. Research 2005 33 223-230
Honors & Awards
- Gold Cytoscope Award
American Urological Association (2003)
- First Place, Samuel Ambrose Socioeconomic Essay Contest at the American Urological Association Annual Meeting in Orlando, Florida
Cost effective treatment of ureteropelvic junction obstruction: A decision tree analysis" (2002)
- Ralph Smith Distinguished Chair in Urological Education
- Royal College of Surgeons Travelling Fellowship
The Royal College of Surgeons (1998)
- American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons
- American Urological Association
- Endourological Society
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Research in Calculus Kinetics (R.O.C.K.) Society