- Other Post Graduate Training
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2005)
- Graduate School
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2005), Nuclear Engineering/radiological Sciences
- Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (2009)
- Mount Auburn Hospital (2010), Internal Medicine
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (2013), Radiation Oncology
- Clinical Research Fellowship
- Cornell/Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (2013), Clinical Research
- Chief Resident
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (2014), Radiation Oncology
- Charged-particle therapy
- Image analysis and outcomes modeling
- Image-guided and navigational interventional technology
- Interventions for Toxicity Reduction
- Intraoperative radiation therapy
- Liver Cancer
- Ocular tumors
- Oligometastatic disease
- Primary and metastatic lesions of the spine
- Prostate Cancer
- Rectal Cancer
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy
- Prostate brachytherapy procedural training: incorporation of related procedures in resident training and competency assessment.
- Bachand J, Schroeder SR, Desai NB, Folkert MR, J Contemp Brachytherapy 2019 Dec 11 6 601-606
- Femoral Fracture in Primary Soft-Tissue Sarcoma of the Thigh and Groin Treated with Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy: Observed versus Expected Risk.
- Folkert MR, Casey DL, Berry SL, Crago A, Fabbri N, Singer S, Alektiar KM Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2019 Jan
- Rectal radiation dose-reduction techniques in prostate cancer: a focus on the rectal spacer.
- Leiker AJ, Desai NB, Folkert MR Future Oncol 2018 Jun
- Predictive modeling of outcomes following definitive chemoradiotherapy for oropharyngeal cancer based on FDG-PET image characteristics.
- Folkert MR, Setton J, Apte AP, Grkovski M, Young RJ, Schöder H, Thorstad WL, Lee NY, Deasy JO, Oh JH Phys Med Biol 2017 Jul 62 13 5327-5343
- Dosimetric comparison of rectal-sparing capabilities of rectal balloon vs injectable spacer gel in stereotactic body radiation therapy for prostate cancer: lessons learned from prospective trials.
- Jones RT, Hassan Rezaeian N, Desai NB, Lotan Y, Jia X, Hannan R, Kim DWN, Hornberger B, Dubas J, Laine AM, Zelefsky MJ, Timmerman RD, Folkert MR Med Dosim 2017 Jul
- Multi-objective radiomics model for predicting distant failure in lung SBRT.
- Zhou Z, Folkert M, Iyengar P, Westover K, Zhang Y, Choy H, Timmerman R, Jiang S, Wang J Phys Med Biol 2017 May 62 11 4460-4478
- Endoluminal and Interstitial Brachytherapy for the Treatment of Gastrointestinal Malignancies: a Systematic Review.
- Gottumukkala S, Tumati V, Hrycushko B, Folkert M Curr Oncol Rep 2017 Jan 19 1 2
- Stereotactic ablative body radiosurgery (SABR) or Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT).
- Folkert MR, Timmerman RD Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 2016 Dec
- Predicting distant failure in early stage NSCLC treated with SBRT using clinical parameters.
- Zhou Z, Folkert M, Cannon N, Iyengar P, Westover K, Zhang Y, Choy H, Timmerman R, Yan J, Xie XJ, Jiang S, Wang J Radiother Oncol 2016 May
- Remote location interstitial brachytherapy with patient stabilization and subsequent transport to an outpatient center for treatment is safe and effective for the treatment of gynecologic malignancies.
- Tumati V, Folkert MR, Lawson S, Wise E, Wolcott S, Richardson D, Carlson M, Kehoe S, Lea J, Abdulrahman R, Albuquerque K Brachytherapy 2016 Mar
Chapter 15: Contouring Guidelines for Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma. In Target Volume Delineation and Field Setup: A Practical Guide for Conformal and Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy
Goodman K.A., Folkert M.R. (2013). Berlin Heidelberg, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
Brachytherapy. In Pocket Oncology
Folkert M.R., Zelefsky M.J. (2013). Philadelphia, Pa., USA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins-Wolters Kluwer
Image-guided Prostate Brachytherapy. In Smith's Textbook of Endourology, 2 Volume Set, 4th Edition
Folkert M.R., Desai N.B., Yamada Y. (2019). Hoboken, NJ, Wiley-Blackwell
Chapter 41: Primary Bone Tumors, Including Ewing Sarcoma, and Chapter 42: Soft Tissue Sarcoma. In Radiation Oncology Management Decisions, 4th Edition
O. Mohamad and M.R. Folkert (2018). Philadelphia, USA, Wolters Kluwer Health: Medical Practice
SAbR for Primary Prostate Cancer. In Stereotactic Radiosurgery and Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy: A Comprehensive Guide
M.R. Folkert, R. Hannan, N.B. Desai, R.D. Timmerman (2019). Cham, Switzerland, Springer Publishing
Interstitial Brachytherapy for Liver Tumors: Practical Issues. In Radiation Therapy for Liver Tumors: Fundamentals and Clinical Practice
M.R. Folkert, B.A. Hrycushko (2017). Switzerland, Springer International Publishing
Chapter 8: Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) or Alternative Fractionation Schedules. In Increasing the Therapeutic Ratio of Radiotherapy
Laine A., Wardak Z., Folkert M.R., Timmerman R.D. (2017). Cham, Switzerland, Springer Nature
Pancreatic adenocarcinoma. In Target Volume Delineation for Conformal and Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy
Romesser P.B., Folkert M.R., Goodman K.A. (2015). Switzerland, Springer International Publishing
Honors & Awards
- 2016-2017 ARRO Educator of the Year Award
- 2014 American Brachytherapy Society Resident Travel Grant Award
- 2013 ASTRO Resident Clinical /Basic Science Research Award (Physics)
- ASCO Pain and Symptom Management (Merit) Award
- Best of ASTRO Presentation Recognition
- New York Roentgen Society Best of ASTRO 2011 Award, CNS
- MIT Karl Taylor Compton Prize
- American Radium Society (2016)
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society (CTOS) (2014)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) (2012)
- American Brachytherapy Society (ABS) (2011)
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) (2010)
- American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) (2005)