Karen Pawlowski's graduate education focused on hearing science. She has over 30 years’ experience studying tissues within the ear and inner ear, focusing on neuroscience of the auditory periphery, including histology, immunohistochemistry and some functional testing. Collaboration with otologists, neuro-otologists, audiologists, geneticists, pharmacologists, and physiologists from affiliated institutions and beyond has resulted in the generation of numerous peer-reviewed publications and several book chapters in this area. She has successfully managed a laboratory for over 14 years, collaborating on grants and contracts and teaching graduate level courses in anatomy and physiology of hearing.
- Rochester Community/tech Colle (1978), Fine Arts
- University of Minnesota-Twin C (1981), Biology
- Graduate School
- University of Texas at Dallas (1997), App Cognition
- Graduate School
- University of Texas at Dallas (2000), Human Development
- Cellular mechanisms involved in sensory neural hearing loss
- Genetic Hearing Loss
- Investigations of biomedical engineering technologies applied to the temporal bone and auditory system
- Hearing Loss is an Early Consequence of Npc1 Gene Deletion in the Mouse Model of Niemann-Pick Disease, Type C.
- King KA, Gordon-Salant S, Pawlowski KS, Taylor AM, Griffith AJ, Houser A, Kurima K, Wassif CA, Wright CG, Porter FD, Repa JJ, Brewer CC J. Assoc. Res. Otolaryngol. 2014 May
- Ototopic Applications of Povidone Iodine/Dexamethasone in the Rat.
- Pawlowski K, Koulich E, Wright CG, Roland P Otol. Neurotol. 2012 Nov
- Effects of cochlear drilling with Piezosurgery Medical device in rats.
- Pawlowski KS, Koulich E, Cuda D, Wright CG, Stabilini E, Roland PS Laryngoscope 2011 Jan 121 1 182-6
- Comparison of systemic and otic administration of ofloxacin.
- Koulich E, Roland PS, Pawlowski KS Laryngoscope 2010 Oct 120 10 2083-8
- Ototoxicity of topical azithromycin solutions in the guinea pig.
- Pawlowski KS, Si E, Wright CG, Koulich E, Hosseini K, Roland PS Arch. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg. 2010 May 136 5 481-7
- Development of outer hair cells in Ames waltzer mice: mutation in protocadherin 15 affects development of cuticular plate and associated structures.
- Kikkawa YS, Pawlowski KS, Wright CG, Alagramam KN Anat Rec (Hoboken) 2008 Feb 291 2 224-32
- Progression of inner ear pathology in Ames waltzer mice and the role of protocadherin 15 in hair cell development.
- Pawlowski KS, Kikkawa YS, Wright CG, Alagramam KN J. Assoc. Res. Otolaryngol. 2006 Jun 7 2 83-94
- Bacterial biofilm formation on a human cochlear implant.
- Pawlowski KS, Wawro D, Roland PS Otol. Neurotol. 2005 Sep 26 5 972-5
- Ephrins and Ephs in cochlear innervation and implications for advancing cochlear implant function.
- Lee KH, Warchol ME, Pawlowski KS, Shao D, Koulich E, Zhou CQ, Lee J, Henkemeyer MJ Laryngoscope 2014 Dec
- Cochlear implant device failure secondary to cholesterol granuloma-mediated cochlear erosion.
- Neilan RE, Pawlowski K, Isaacson B, Roland PS Otol. Neurotol. 2012 Jul 33 5 733-5
- Sigma X, UTSW Chapter (2010-2014)
- UTSW Imaging Society (2005)
- Adjunct Professor, UT Dallas (2003)
- Society for Neuroscience (2000)
- Association for Research in Otolaryngology (1993)