David Fetzer, M.D., is an Assistant Professor of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Abdominal Imaging Division. He serves as the Medical Director of Ultrasound at both UT Southwestern and Parkland Health and Hospital System.
I have the pleasure of working with very high-quality technologists at UT Southwestern. Their dedication to patient care makes my job that much easier.
Dr. Fetzer holds a bachelor's degree in imaging science from the Rochester Institute of Technology. He earned his medical degree at UT Health Science Center at Houston, and then completed radiology residency training at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, where he remained to receive advanced training through a fellowship program in abdominal imaging.
His complimentary background in imaging science and interest in translational research constitute the basis for his work in multimodality testing and quantitative imaging, particularly in hepatobiliary, renal, thyroid, and lymph node imaging. Dr. Fetzer serves as director of the lab CACTUS: the Collaborative for Advanced Clinical Techniques in Ultrasound, where he facilitates clinical and translational ultrasound-based researching imaging.
He has published a number of scholarly articles and review articles, and he serves as a reviewer for publications that include Radiology, Abdominal Imaging, Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, and Academic Radiology, and has been recognized for his journal reviews.
Dr. Fetzer is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American College of Radiology, American Roentgen Ray Society, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound (SRU), American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM), and Society of Abdominal Radiology (SAR). He is a fellow of both SRU and AIUM.
His professional recognitions include earning the 2013 Roentgen Fellow Research Award and 2012 Roentgen Resident Research Award – both from the RSNA Research and Education Foundation. In 2019, UT Southwestern Medical Center presented him with a Rising Star Award, part of the university's Leaders in Clinical Excellence awards, for "exceptional early-career clinical faculty whose actions and activities consistently exemplify enthusiasm, commitment, professionalism, and leadership."
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center at Houston (2008)
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (2009), Transitional Year
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (2013), Diagnostic Radiology
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (2014), F
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound, particularly in chronic liver disease
- Hepatocellular Cacinoma (HCC) Screening and Suveillance
- Non-rigid image registration in dynamic post-contrast imaging
- Quantitative imaging in chronic liver disease, including fibrosis and fat
- Ultrasound elastography in thyroid, lymph node, and liver imaging
- Impact of Implementing Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound for Antegrade Nephrostogram After Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy.
- Fetzer DT, Flanagan J, Nabhan A, Pongsatianwong K, Antonelli J, Pearle M, Vijay K, Watumull L, J Ultrasound Med 2021 Jan 40 1 101-111
- Contrast-enhanced US for the Interventional Radiologist: Current and Emerging Applications.
- Malone CD, Fetzer DT, Monsky WL, Itani M, Mellnick VM, Velez PA, Middleton WD, Averkiou MA, Ramaswamy RS, Radiographics 2020 Mar-Apr 40 2 562-588
- Catalase-Containing Silica Particles as Ultrasound-Based Hydrogen Peroxide Sensors to Determine Infected From Noninfected Fluid Collections in Humans.
- Malone CD, Fetzer DT, Lux J, Mattrey RF, AJR Am J Roentgenol 2019 Jul 213 1 W9-W16
- Role of US LI-RADS in the LI-RADS Algorithm.
- Rodgers SK, Fetzer DT, Gabriel H, Seow JH, Choi HH, Maturen KE, Wasnik AP, Morgan TA, Dahiya N, O'Boyle MK, Kono Y, Sirlin CB, Kamaya A, Radiographics 2019 May-Jun 39 3 690-708
- Ultrasound Evaluation in Patients at Risk for Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Fetzer DT, Rodgers SK, Seow JH, Dawkins AA, Joshi G, Gabriel H, Kamaya A, Radiol Clin North Am 2019 May 57 3 563-583
- Practical advantages of contrast-enhanced ultrasound in abdominopelvic radiology.
- Ranganath PG, Robbin ML, Back SJ, Grant EG, Fetzer DT Abdom Radiol (NY) 2018 Jan
- US LI-RADS: ultrasound liver imaging reporting and data system for screening and surveillance of hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Morgan TA, Maturen KE, Dahiya N, Sun MRM, Kamaya A, Abdom Radiol (NY) 2018 01 43 1 41-55
- Artifacts in contrast-enhanced ultrasound: a pictorial essay.
- Fetzer DT, Rafailidis V, Peterson C, Grant EG, Sidhu P, Barr RG Abdom Radiol (NY) 2017 Dec
- Screening and Surveillance of Hepatocellular Carcinoma: An Introduction to Ultrasound Liver Imaging Reporting and Data System.
- Fetzer DT, Rodgers SK, Harris AC, Kono Y, Wasnik AP, Kamaya A, Sirlin C Radiol. Clin. North Am. 2017 Nov 55 6 1197-1209
- Predictors of adequate ultrasound quality for hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance in patients with cirrhosis.
- Simmons O, Fetzer DT, Yokoo T, Marrero JA, Yopp A, Kono Y, Parikh ND, Browning T, Singal AG Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2016 Nov
Scrotal Fluid Collections; Right-Sided Varicocele; Bladder Outlet Obstruction; Polycystic Liver Disease. In Clinical Ultrasound: A Case-Based Approach
Fetzer DT (2020). Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
CEUS Technique: Artifacts. In Fundamentals in Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound
Fetzer, DT (2019). Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Radiology Editor's Award with Special Distinction
Journal of Radiology (2021)
American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (2020)
Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (2019)
- Leaders in Clinical Excellence Rising Star Award
UT Southwestern (2019)
- Certificate of Merit
Radiological Society of North America (2018)
- Resident Conference of the Month
UT Southwestern Medical School Radiology Residency (2016)
- Top Scored Poster
International Liver Cancer Association Annual Meeting (2016)
- Distinguished Reviewer for Abdominal Imaging
Journal of Abdominal Imaging (2015-2020)
- SCBT-MR Innovation Award
Society of Computed Body Tomography and Magnetic Resonance (2015)
- Roentgen Fellow Research Award
RSNA Research and Education Foundation (2013)
- Roentgen Resident Research Award
RSNA Research and Education Foundation (2012)
- Best Case in Gastrointestinal Imaging
American Institute of Radiologic Pathology (2011)
- Memorial Award for Research in Radiology
Association for University Radiologists 54th Annual Meeting (2006)
- Society of Advanced Body Imaging (Formerly SCBT-MR) (2016)
- American College of Radiology
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- American Roentgen Ray Society
- Radiological Society of North America
- Society of Abdominal Radiology
- Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound
- Texas Medical Association