Sam Wang, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Surgical Oncology in the Department of Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center. His clinical focus includes cancers of the liver, pancreas, stomach, and bile duct.
Dr. Wang graduated from Stanford University, where he received a B.S. with honors in biological science and an A.B. with high honors in history. He attended medical school at Duke University School of Medicine and completed an internship and residency in general surgery at the University of California, San Francisco. He then received advanced training in complex general surgical oncology through a fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. He joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2014.
In the lab, Dr. Wang is interested in how the normal regenerative process mutates and leads to cancer. In addition, he is studying the molecular mechanisms behind outcome disparities that Hispanic gastric cancer patients face. The goals for his research are to identify new diagnostic and therapeutic strategies to improve outcomes for these patients.
Dr. Wang is a member of the Society of Surgical Oncology, the Association for Academic Surgery, the American Association for Cancer Research, and the American College of Surgeons. He is fluent in Mandarin.
- Medical School
- Duke University School of Medicine (2005)
- UCSF School of Medicine (2012), Surgery
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (2014), Surgical Oncology
- Epigenetic changes in cancer
- Gastric, pancreas, and liver cancer
- Molecular mechanisms behind disparities in cancer outcomes
- Role of tissue injury and regeneration on cancer formation
- Racial and ethnic disparities in a national cohort of ampullary cancer patients.
- Nassour I, Mokdad AA, Minter RM, Polanco PM, Augustine MM, Mansour JC, Porembka MR, Wang SC J Surg Oncol 2017 Oct
- Adjuvant Chemotherapy vs Postoperative Observation Following Preoperative Chemoradiotherapy and Resection in Gastroesophageal Cancer: A Propensity Score-Matched Analysis.
- Mokdad AA, Yopp AC, Polanco PM, Mansour JC, Reznik SI, Heitjan DF, Choti MA, Minter RR, Wang SC, Porembka MR JAMA Oncol 2017 Sep
- Conversion of Minimally Invasive Distal Pancreatectomy: Predictors and Outcomes.
- Nassour I, Wang SC, Porembka MR, Augustine MM, Yopp AC, Mansour JC, Minter RM, Choti MA, Polanco PM Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2017 Aug
- Robotic Versus Laparoscopic Pancreaticoduodenectomy: a NSQIP Analysis.
- Nassour I, Wang SC, Porembka MR, Yopp AC, Choti MA, Augustine MM, Polanco PM, Mansour JC, Minter RM J. Gastrointest. Surg. 2017 Aug
- Nomogram to predict non-home discharge following pancreaticoduodenectomy in a national cohort of patients.
- Nassour I, Wang SC, Christie A, Mokdad AA, Porembka MR, Choti MA, Augustine MM, Yopp AC, Xie XJ, Mansour JC, Minter RM, Polanco PM HPB (Oxford) 2017 Aug
- Minimally Invasive Versus Open Pancreaticoduodenectomy: A Propensity-Matched Study From a National Cohort of Patients.
- Nassour I, Wang SC, Christie A, Augustine MM, Porembka MR, Yopp AC, Choti MA, Mansour JC, Xie XJ, Polanco PM, Minter RM Ann. Surg. 2017 May
- The Yield of Staging Laparoscopy in Gastric Cancer is Affected by Racial and Ethnic Differences in Disease Presentation.
- Nassour I, Fullington H, Hynan LS, Yopp AC, Augustine MM, Polanco PM, Choti MA, Mansour JC, Wang SC, Porembka MR Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2017 Feb
- Neoadjuvant Therapy Followed by Resection Versus Upfront Resection for Resectable Pancreatic Cancer: A Propensity Score Matched Analysis.
- Mokdad AA, Minter RM, Zhu H, Augustine MM, Porembka MR, Wang SC, Yopp AC, Mansour JC, Choti MA, Polanco PM J. Clin. Oncol. 2016 Sep
- Suppression of the SWI/SNF Component Arid1a Promotes Mammalian Regeneration.
- Sun X, Chuang JC, Kanchwala M, Wu L, Celen C, Li L, Liang H, Zhang S, Maples T, Nguyen LH, Wang SC, Signer RA, Sorouri M, Nassour I, Liu X, Xu J, Wu M, Zhao Y, Kuo YC, Wang Z, Xing C, Zhu H Cell Stem Cell 2016 Apr 18 4 456-66
- A Pilot Study Evaluating Serum MMP7 as a Preoperative Prognostic Marker for Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma Patients.
- Wang SC, Parekh JR, Porembka MR, Nathan H, D'Angelica MI, DeMatteo RP, Fong Y, Kingham TP, Jarnagin WR, Allen PJ J. Gastrointest. Surg. 2016 Feb
Honors & Awards
- Jacobson Promising Investigator Award
American College of Surgeons (2019)
- Faculty Research Fellowship
American College of Surgeons (2017-2019)
- Health Care Disparities Research Award
Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract (2017-2019)
- Outstanding Mentor, Center for Translational Medicine
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (2017)
- Disease-Oriented Clinical Scholar
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (2015-2018)
- Conquer Cancer Foundation Merit Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology (2014)
- Outstanding Resident Achievement Award
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco (2012)
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract (2016)
- Dallas Country Medical Society (2014)
- Texas Medical Association (2014)
- Association for Academic Surgery (2013)
- Society of Surgical Oncology (2013)
- UCSF Naffziger Surgical Society (2012)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2008)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2008)
- American College of Surgeons (2005)