Matthew Hammer, M.D.
Director, Pediatric Radiology Fellowship Program
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Matthew Hammer, M.D., is an Associate Professor of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Pediatric Radiology Division. His clinical interests include musculoskeletal imaging in children, as well as pediatric magnetic resonance (MR) enterography, MR urography, and perineal imaging in Crohn’s disease.
Teaching a new generation of radiologists to care and advocate for patients is our essential duty and my great privilege.
Dr. Hammer holds a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry and molecular and cellular biology from the University of Arizona in Tucson. He received his medical degree from the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor, where he remained to complete his radiology residency training. He then continued with a Medical Education Scholars program before obtaining advanced training through fellowship programs in pediatric radiology and in musculoskeletal radiology.
Prior to joining the faculty in 2014, Dr. Hammer served as co-chief radiology resident at the University of Michigan, and as a member of the Association of University Radiologists board of directors, an organization he continues to serve as a faculty advisor.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Hammer serves as Director of the Pediatric Radiology Fellowship program, and is a member of the Pediatric Radiology Clinical Competency, Program Evaluation, and Quality committees. He also leads the Pediatric Radiology Musculoskeletal Group.
At Children's Health, he serves as Medical Director of Children's Imaging Center - Addison and Children's Imaging Center - Plano.
Dr. Hammer is actively involved with several professional organizations, including the Radiological Society of North America, American College of Radiology, American Roentgen Ray Society, and Association of University Radiologists. As a member of the Society of Pediatric Radiology, he serves on the Website Editorial, Publications, and MSK Imaging committees.
Dr. Hammer has published numerous papers, and co-authored a chapter on congenital and developmental conditions in the foot and ankle for Pediatric Orthopedic Imaging, considered the standard reference book for pediatric and musculoskeletal radiologists. He is also a reviewer for the academic journal, Pediatric Radiology.
- Medical School
- University of Michigan Medical School (2007)
- Oakwood Hospital (2008), Transitional Year
- University of Michigan Health System (2012), Diagnostic Radiology
- University of Michigan (2013), Pediatric Radiology
- University of Michigan (2014), Musculoskeletal Radiology
- Pediatric Genitourinary Imaging
- Pediatric MR Enterography
- Pediatric Musculoskeletal Imaging
- Simple visual review of pre- to post-operative renal ultrasound images predicts pyeloplasty success equally as well as geometric measurements: A blinded comparison with a gold standard.
- Kern AJM, Schlomer BJ, Timberlake MD, Peters CA, Hammer MR, Jacobs MA J Pediatr Urol 2017 Apr
- Non-accidental trauma: the role of radiology.
- Pfeifer CM, Hammer MR, Mangona KL, Booth TN Emerg Radiol 2016 Nov
- US of the Peripheral Nerves of the Lower Extremity: A Landmark Approach.
- Yablon CM, Hammer MR, Morag Y, Brandon CJ, Fessell DP, Jacobson JA Radiographics 2016 Feb 150120
- Pediatric ureteropelvic junction obstruction: can magnetic resonance urography identify crossing vessels?
- Parikh KR, Hammer MR, Kraft KH, Ivancic V, Smith EA, Dillman JR Pediatr Radiol 2015 Jul
- Prevalence of Femoroacetabular Impingement Morphology in Asymptomatic Adolescents.
- Li Y, Helvie P, Mead M, Gagnier J, Hammer MR, Jong N J Pediatr Orthop 2015 Jul
- Magnetic resonance imaging of perianal and perineal crohn disease in children and adolescents.
- Hammer MR, Dillman JR, Smith EA, Al-Hawary MM Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 2013 Nov 21 4 813-28
- Multidetector computed tomographic and magnetic resonance enterography in children: state of the art.
- Hammer MR, Podberesky DJ, Dillman JR Radiol. Clin. North Am. 2013 Jul 51 4 615-36
- Imaging evaluation of pediatric trachea and bronchi: systematic review and updates.
- Lee EY, Restrepo R, Dillman JR, Ridge CA, Hammer MR, Boiselle PM Semin Roentgenol 2012 Apr 47 2 182-96
- Imaging of pediatric thoracic trauma.
- Hammer MR, Dillman JR, Chong ST, Strouse PJ Semin Roentgenol 2012 Apr 47 2 135-46
- Detection of pediatric cervical spine injury.
- Garton HJ, Hammer MR Neurosurgery 2008 Mar 62 3 700-8; discussion 700-8
Honors & Awards
- Golden Apple Teaching Award
UT Southwestern (2017)
- Cum Laude Educational Exhibit
Radiological Society of North America (2012)
- Poster Presentation Honorable Mention
Seventh Australasian Redesigning Healthcare Summit (2011)
- Educational Exhibit Certificate of Commendation
American Roentgen Ray Society (2010)
- American Alliance of Academic Chief Residents in Radiology
- American College of Radiology
- American Roentgen Ray Society
- Association of University Radiologists
- Radiological Society of North America
- Society of Pediatric Radiology