Kevin Dean was raised in Northern California and received his B.A. in Chemistry at Willamette University in Oregon, where he was recognized as a 2x ESPN Regional Academic All-American in football. He completed his Ph.D. in Biochemistry at the University of Colorado Boulder under the guidance of Prof. Amy Palmer and Prof. Ralph Jimenez, where his work focused on spectroscopy, protein engineering, and multiparameter high-throughput microfluidic analysis, and cell sorting. and cell sorting. Following graduation, he served as the Director of the first campus-wide light microscopy facility and expanded its user base to >100 users from 8 different departments and multiple local biotechnology firms.
He began his postdoctoral work in the labs of Gaudenz Danuser and Reto Fiolka at UT Southwestern in May of 2014 and was awarded the Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award from the National Institutes of health in 2016. His postdoctoral research integrated advanced light-sheet microscopy, computer vision, and biology to understand cytoskeletal dynamics and signal transduction in of breast cancer organoids in physiologically meaningful extracellular matrix environments. Today, Kevin is the Director of the Microscopy Innovation Lab where he is focused on developing or replicating transformative instrumentation and collaborating with biologists at UT Southwestern to address pressing biological questions.
- Diagonally Scanned Light-Sheet Microscopy for Fast Volumetric Imaging of Adherent Cells.
- Dean KM, Roudot P, Reis CR, Welf ES, Mettlen M, Fiolka R Biophys. J. 2016 Mar 110 6 1456-65
- Microfluidics-based selection of red-fluorescent proteins with decreased rates of photobleaching.
- Dean KM, Lubbeck JL, Davis LM, Regmi CK, Chapagain PP, Gerstman BS, Jimenez R, Palmer AE Integr Biol (Camb) 2015 Feb 7 2 263-73
- High-speed multiparameter photophysical analyses of fluorophore libraries.
- Dean KM, Davis LM, Lubbeck JL, Manna P, Friis P, Palmer AE, Jimenez R Anal. Chem. 2015 87 10 5026-30
- Uniform and scalable light-sheets generated by extended focusing.
- Dean KM, Fiolka R Opt Express 2014 Oct 22 21 26141-52
- Direct comparison of a genetically encoded sensor and small molecule indicator: implications for quantification of cytosolic Zn(2+).
- Qin Y, Miranda JG, Stoddard CI, Dean KM, Galati DF, Palmer AE ACS Chem. Biol. 2013 Nov 8 11 2366-71
- Microfluidic cell sorter for use in developing red fluorescent proteins with improved photostability.
- Davis LM, Lubbeck JL, Dean KM, Palmer AE, Jimenez R Lab Chip 2013 Jun 13 12 2320-7
- Microfluidic flow cytometer for quantifying photobleaching of fluorescent proteins in cells.
- Lubbeck JL, Dean KM, Ma H, Palmer AE, Jimenez R Anal. Chem. 2012 May 84 9 3929-37
- Analysis of red-fluorescent proteins provides insight into dark-state conversion and photodegradation.
- Dean KM, Lubbeck JL, Binder JK, Schwall LR, Jimenez R, Palmer AE Biophys. J. 2011 Aug 101 4 961-9
- Department of Cell Biology (2018)
- Microscopy Innovation Lab (2018)