Kevin Dean was raised in Northern California and received his B.A. in Chemistry at Willamette University in Oregon, where he was recognized as a 2x ESPN Regional Academic All-American in football. He completed his Ph.D. in Biochemistry at the University of Colorado Boulder under the guidance of Prof. Amy Palmer and Prof. Ralph Jimenez, where his work focused on spectroscopy, protein engineering, and multiparameter high-throughput microfluidic analysis, and cell sorting. and cell sorting. Following graduation, he served as the Director of the first campus-wide light microscopy facility and expanded its user base to >100 users from 8 different departments and multiple local biotechnology firms.
He began his postdoctoral work in the labs of Gaudenz Danuser and Reto Fiolka at UT Southwestern in May of 2014 and was awarded the Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award from the National Institutes of health in 2016. His postdoctoral research integrated advanced light-sheet microscopy, computer vision, and biology to understand cytoskeletal dynamics and signal transduction in of breast cancer organoids in physiologically meaningful extracellular matrix environments. Today, Kevin is the Director of the Microscopy Innovation Lab where he is focused on developing or replicating transformative instrumentation and collaborating with biologists at UT Southwestern to address pressing biological questions.
- Real-time multi-angle projection imaging of biological dynamics.
- Chang BJ, Manton JD, Sapoznik E, Pohlkamp T, Terrones TS, Welf ES, Murali VS, Roudot P, Hake K, Whitehead L, York AG, Dean KM, Fiolka R, Nat Methods 2021 Jun
- Pre-complexation of talin and vinculin without tension is required for efficient nascent adhesion maturation.
- Han SJ, Azarova EV, Whitewood AJ, Bachir A, Guttierrez E, Groisman A, Horwitz AR, Goult BT, Dean KM, Danuser G, Elife 2021 03 10
- A versatile oblique plane microscope for large-scale and high-resolution imaging of subcellular dynamics.
- Sapoznik E, Chang BJ, Huh J, Ju RJ, Azarova EV, Pohlkamp T, Welf ES, Broadbent D, Carisey AF, Stehbens SJ, Lee KM, Marín A, Hanker AB, Schmidt JC, Arteaga CL, Yang B, Kobayashi Y, Tata PR, Kruithoff R, Doubrovinski K, Shepherd DP, Millett-Sikking A, York AG, Dean KM, Fiolka RP, Elife 2020 11 9
- Light-sheet microscopy of cleared tissues with isotropic, subcellular resolution.
- Chakraborty T, Driscoll MK, Jeffery E, Murphy MM, Roudot P, Chang BJ, Vora S, Wong WM, Nielson CD, Zhang H, Zhemkov V, Hiremath C, De La Cruz ED, Yi Y, Bezprozvanny I, Zhao H, Tomer R, Heintzmann R, Meeks JP, Marciano DK, Morrison SJ, Danuser G, Dean KM, Fiolka R, Nat. Methods 2019 Nov 16 11 1109-1113
- Robust and automated detection of subcellular morphological motifs in 3D microscopy images.
- Driscoll MK, Welf ES, Jamieson AR, Dean KM, Isogai T, Fiolka R, Danuser G, Nat. Methods 2019 Oct 16 10 1037-1044
- Actin-Membrane Release Initiates Cell Protrusions.
- Welf ES, Miles CE, Huh J, Sapoznik E, Chi J, Driscoll MK, Isogai T, Noh J, Weems AD, Pohlkamp T, Dean K, Fiolka R, Mogilner A, Danuser G, Dev Cell 2020 12 55 6 723-736.e8
- Proline rich 11 (PRR11) overexpression amplifies PI3K signaling and promotes antiestrogen resistance in breast cancer.
- Lee KM, Guerrero-Zotano AL, Servetto A, Sudhan DR, Lin CC, Formisano L, Jansen VM, González-Ericsson P, Sanders ME, Stricker TP, Raj G, Dean KM, Fiolka R, Cantley LC, Hanker AB, Arteaga CL, Nat Commun 2020 10 11 1 5488
- Systematic and quantitative comparison of lattice and Gaussian light-sheets.
- Chang BJ, Dean KM, Fiolka R, Opt Express 2020 Aug 28 18 27052-27077
- Extended depth of focus multiphoton microscopy via incoherent pulse splitting.
- Chen B, Chakraborty T, Daetwyler S, Manton JD, Dean K, Fiolka R, Biomed Opt Express 2020 Jul 11 7 3830-3842
- Enhanced Dendritic Actin Network Formation in Extended Lamellipodia Drives Proliferation in Growth-Challenged Rac1P29S Melanoma Cells.
- Mohan AS, Dean KM, Isogai T, Kasitinon SY, Murali VS, Roudot P, Groisman A, Reed DK, Welf ES, Han SJ, Noh J, Danuser G, Dev. Cell 2019 May 49 3 444-460.e9
- Lyda Hill Department of Bioinformatics (2021)
- Department of Cell Biology (2018)
- Microscopy Innovation Lab (2018)