Kevin Dean was raised in Northern California and received his B.A. in Chemistry at Willamette University in Oregon, where he was recognized as a 2x ESPN Regional Academic All-American in football. He completed his Ph.D. in Biochemistry at the University of Colorado Boulder under the guidance of Prof. Amy Palmer and Prof. Ralph Jimenez, where his work focused on spectroscopy, protein engineering, and multiparameter high-throughput microfluidic analysis, and cell sorting. and cell sorting. Following graduation, he served as the Director of the first campus-wide light microscopy facility and expanded its user base to >100 users from 8 different departments and multiple local biotechnology firms.
He began his postdoctoral work in the labs of Gaudenz Danuser and Reto Fiolka at UT Southwestern in May of 2014 and was awarded the Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award from the National Institutes of health in 2016. His postdoctoral research integrated advanced light-sheet microscopy, computer vision, and biology to understand cytoskeletal dynamics and signal transduction in of breast cancer organoids in physiologically meaningful extracellular matrix environments. Today, Kevin is the Director of the Microscopy Innovation Lab where he is focused on developing or replicating transformative instrumentation and collaborating with biologists at UT Southwestern to address pressing biological questions.
- Light-sheet microscopy of cleared tissues with isotropic, subcellular resolution.
- Chakraborty T, Driscoll MK, Jeffery E, Murphy MM, Roudot P, Chang BJ, Vora S, Wong WM, Nielson CD, Zhang H, Zhemkov V, Hiremath C, De La Cruz ED, Yi Y, Bezprozvanny I, Zhao H, Tomer R, Heintzmann R, Meeks JP, Marciano DK, Morrison SJ, Danuser G, Dean KM, Fiolka R, Nat. Methods 2019 Nov 16 11 1109-1113
- Robust and automated detection of subcellular morphological motifs in 3D microscopy images.
- Driscoll MK, Welf ES, Jamieson AR, Dean KM, Isogai T, Fiolka R, Danuser G, Nat. Methods 2019 Oct 16 10 1037-1044
- Lossless Three-Dimensional Parallelization in Digitally Scanned Light-Sheet Fluorescence Microscopy.
- Dean KM, Fiolka R Sci Rep 2017 Aug 7 1 9332
- Quantitative Multiscale Cell Imaging in Controlled 3D Microenvironments.
- Welf ES, Driscoll MK, Dean KM, Schäfer C, Chu J, Davidson MW, Lin MZ, Danuser G, Fiolka R Dev. Cell 2016 Feb 36 4 462-75
- Deconvolution-free Subcellular Imaging with Axially Swept Light Sheet Microscopy.
- Dean KM, Roudot P, Welf ES, Danuser G, Fiolka R Biophys. J. 2015 Jun 108 12 2807-15
- Advances in fluorescence labeling strategies for dynamic cellular imaging.
- Dean KM, Palmer AE Nat. Chem. Biol. 2014 Jul 10 7 512-23
- Enhanced Dendritic Actin Network Formation in Extended Lamellipodia Drives Proliferation in Growth-Challenged Rac1P29S Melanoma Cells.
- Mohan AS, Dean KM, Isogai T, Kasitinon SY, Murali VS, Roudot P, Groisman A, Reed DK, Welf ES, Han SJ, Noh J, Danuser G, Dev. Cell 2019 May 49 3 444-460.e9
- Universal light-sheet generation with field synthesis.
- Chang BJ, Kittisopikul M, Dean KM, Roudot P, Welf ES, Fiolka R Nat. Methods 2019 Mar 16 3 235-238
- Imaging Subcellular Dynamics with Fast and Light-Efficient Volumetrically Parallelized Microscopy.
- Dean KM, Roudot P, Welf ES, Pohlkamp T, Garrelts G, Herz J, Fiolka R Optica 2017 Feb 4 2 263-271
- A bright cyan-excitable orange fluorescent protein facilitates dual-emission microscopy and enhances bioluminescence imaging in vivo.
- Chu J, Oh Y, Sens A, Ataie N, Dana H, Macklin JJ, Laviv T, Welf ES, Dean KM, Zhang F, Kim BB, Tang CT, Hu M, Baird MA, Davidson MW, Kay MA, Fiolka R, Yasuda R, Kim DS, Ng HL, Lin MZ Nat. Biotechnol. 2016 May
- Department of Cell Biology (2018)
- Microscopy Innovation Lab (2018)