Uma Gunasekaran, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Dr. Gunasekaran is originally from Nashville, TN and received her medical degree at George Washington University. She subsequently completed her Internal Medicine residency at Mt. Auburn Hospital in Cambridge MA followed by an Endocrinology fellowship at Vanderbilt University. She is interested in general endocrinology, but she has a special interest in diabetes. She was drawn to UTSW as it is at the forefront of academic medicine and would allow her to pursue her interests in patient care, teaching, and research in diabetes. Her interests outside of medicine include her family, reading, and travelling.
- Medical School
- George Washington University School of Medicine (2004)
- Mount Auburn Hospital (2006), Internal Medicine
- Mount Auburn Hospital (2009), Internal Medicine
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (2012), Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Differential regulation of embryonic and adult ? cell replication.
- Gunasekaran U, Hudgens CW, Wright BT, Maulis MF, Gannon M Cell Cycle 2012 Jul 11 13 2431-42
- Endocrine complications in long-term survivors after allogeneic stem cell transplant.
- Gunasekaran U, Agarwal N, Jagasia MH, Jagasia SM Semin. Hematol. 2012 Jan 49 1 66-72
- Connective tissue growth factor acts within both endothelial cells and beta cells to promote proliferation of developing beta cells.
- Guney MA, Petersen CP, Boustani A, Duncan MR, Gunasekaran U, Menon R, Warfield C, Grotendorst GR, Means AL, Economides AN, Gannon M Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011 Sep 108 37 15242-7
- Type 2 diabetes and the aging pancreatic beta cell.
- Gunasekaran U, Gannon M Aging (Albany NY) 2011 Jun 3 6 565-75
- Partial purification and properties of putrescine oxidase from Candida guilliermondii.
- Gunasekaran M, Gunasekaran U Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 1999 Mar 76 3 229-36
- Regulation of superoxide dismutase synthesis in Candida albicans.
- Gunasekaran U, Yang R, Gunasekaran M Mycopathologia 1998 141 2 59-63
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (2009)
- Endocrine Society (2009)
- American Medical Association (2004)