Diabetes can be challenging to manage even when you do have resources such as income, housing, and food- and a lot of my patients struggle with these basic needs.
Originally from Memphis, Tennessee, Dr. Gunasekaran earned her medical degree at the George Washington University School of Health Sciences in Washington, D.C. She completed internal medicine residency training at Mt. Auburn Hospital in Cambridge Massachusetts, where she was Chief Resident. She then completed advanced training through a fellowship in endocrinology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. She's currently a fellow in the LEAD Program at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in endocrinology, diabetes, and metabolism, Dr. Gunasekaran joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2014.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Gunasekaran is on the Endocrinology Fellowship Clinical Competency Committee and part of the Endocrinology Clinic Optimization Workgroup.
Dr. Gunasekaran is a member of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the Endocrine Society, and the American Diabetes Association.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Gunasekaran's interests include her family, reading, and traveling.
- Medical School
- George Washington University School of Medicine (2004)
- Mount Auburn Hospital (2006), Internal Medicine
- Mount Auburn Hospital (2009), Internal Medicine
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (2012), Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Differential regulation of embryonic and adult ? cell replication.
- Gunasekaran U, Hudgens CW, Wright BT, Maulis MF, Gannon M Cell Cycle 2012 Jul 11 13 2431-42
- Endocrine complications in long-term survivors after allogeneic stem cell transplant.
- Gunasekaran U, Agarwal N, Jagasia MH, Jagasia SM Semin. Hematol. 2012 Jan 49 1 66-72
- Connective tissue growth factor acts within both endothelial cells and beta cells to promote proliferation of developing beta cells.
- Guney MA, Petersen CP, Boustani A, Duncan MR, Gunasekaran U, Menon R, Warfield C, Grotendorst GR, Means AL, Economides AN, Gannon M Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011 Sep 108 37 15242-7
- Type 2 diabetes and the aging pancreatic beta cell.
- Gunasekaran U, Gannon M Aging (Albany NY) 2011 Jun 3 6 565-75
- Partial purification and properties of putrescine oxidase from Candida guilliermondii.
- Gunasekaran M, Gunasekaran U Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 1999 Mar 76 3 229-36
- Regulation of superoxide dismutase synthesis in Candida albicans.
- Gunasekaran U, Yang R, Gunasekaran M Mycopathologia 1998 141 2 59-63
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (2009)
- American Medical Association (2004)
- Endocrine Society (2009)