Dr. Sara G.M. Piccirillo is originally from Italy and received her PhD in Translational and Molecular Medicine at the University of Milan-Bicocca. She was awarded a Marie-Curie Intra-European Fellowship for Career Development and joined the University of Cambridge (UK) as Research Associate. In 2016 she completed her post-doctoral training at the same University.
Dr. Piccirillo brings to UTSW a strong background in Neuro-Oncology and Stem Cell Biology. Her expertise spans from molecular and cellular biology of brain tumors and neural stem cells to cancer genomics and animal models. Outside of research, Dr. Piccirillo’s interests include painting and history of film.
- Brain Tumor Cell Migration
- Cancer Genomics
- Mouse Models
- Neural Stem Cells
- Genetic and functional diversity of propagating cells in glioblastoma.
- Piccirillo SG, Colman S, Potter NE, van Delft FW, Lillis S, Carnicer MJ, Kearney L, Watts C, Greaves M Stem Cell Reports 2015 Jan 4 1 7-15
- Contributions to drug resistance in glioblastoma derived from malignant cells in the sub-ependymal zone.
- Piccirillo SG, Spiteri I, Sottoriva A, Touloumis A, Ber S, Price SJ, Heywood R, Francis NJ, Howarth KD, Collins VP, Venkitaraman AR, Curtis C, Marioni JC, Tavaré S, Watts C Cancer Res. 2015 Jan 75 1 194-202
- Fluorescence-guided surgical sampling of glioblastoma identifies phenotypically distinct tumour-initiating cell populations in the tumour mass and margin.
- Piccirillo SG, Dietz S, Madhu B, Griffiths J, Price SJ, Collins VP, Watts C Br. J. Cancer 2012 Jul 107 3 462-8
- Distinct pools of cancer stem-like cells coexist within human glioblastomas and display different tumorigenicity and independent genomic evolution.
- Piccirillo SG, Combi R, Cajola L, Patrizi A, Redaelli S, Bentivegna A, Baronchelli S, Maira G, Pollo B, Mangiola A, DiMeco F, Dalprà L, Vescovi AL Oncogene 2009 Apr 28 15 1807-11
- Bone morphogenetic proteins inhibit the tumorigenic potential of human brain tumour-initiating cells.
- Piccirillo SG, Reynolds BA, Zanetti N, Lamorte G, Binda E, Broggi G, Brem H, Olivi A, Dimeco F, Vescovi AL Nature 2006 Dec 444 7120 761-5
- Evolutionary dynamics of residual disease in human glioblastoma.
- Spiteri I, Caravagna G, Cresswell GD, Vatsiou A, Nichol D, Acar A, Ermini L, Chkhaidze K, Werner B, Mair R, Brognaro E, Verhaak RGW, Sanguinetti G, Piccirillo SGM, Watts C, Sottoriva A Ann. Oncol. 2018 Nov
- Basic and translational advances in glioblastoma
- Piccirillo SG, Alonso MM, Pasqualetti F BioMed Research International 2018 2018
- Oncogenes activate an autonomous transcriptional regulatory circuit that drives glioblastoma
- Singh DK, Kollipara RK, Vemireddy V, Yang XL, Sun Y, Regmi N, Klingler S, Hatanpaa KJ, Raisanen J, Cho SK, Sirasanagandla S, Nannepaga S, Piccirillo SG, Mashimo T, Wang S, Humphries CG, Mickey B, Maher EA, Zheng H, Kim RS, Kittler R, Bachoo RM Cell Reports 2017 18 4 961-976
- The role of sub-ventricular zone in gliomagenesis.
- Piccirillo SG, Sottoriva A, Watts C Aging (Albany NY) 2015 Oct 7 10 738-9
- Brain cancer stem cells.
- Piccirillo SG, Binda E, Fiocco R, Vescovi AL, Shah K J. Mol. Med. 2009 Nov 87 11 1087-95
Stem-like Cells from Brain Tumors or Vice Versa?. In Stem Cells and Human Diseases
S.G.M. Piccirillo (2012). Springer
Stem Cells and Brain Cancers. In Emerging Concepts in Neuro-Oncology
S.G.M. Piccirillo (2013). Springer
Human Brain Tumor Stem Cells. In Progress in Gene Therapy
S.G.M. Piccirillo, A.L. Vescovi (2007). World Scientific
Honors & Awards
- DocStars Award
The Cary Council-Southwestern Medical Foundation (2018)
- New Investigator Research Award
Cancer Research UK (2016)
- Honorary Master of Arts
University of Cambridge, UK (2014)
- Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship for Career Development
The European Commission (2011-2013)
- Young Investigator Award
British Neuro-Oncology Society and Brain Tumour UK (2010)
- Best Young Italian Researcher
Premio Sapio Group (Italy) (2007)
- Translational Research Excellence Award
BrainTumour UK (2005)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2013)
- Marie Curie Alumni Association (2013)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2010)