Dr. Leston earned her medical degree at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, where she then completed her residency in neurology and a fellowship in clinical neurophysiology. She also holds a doctoral degree in neurobiology from the University of Chicago.
Dr. Leston's expertise is in Aviationo Neurology, which involves diagnosing and treating neurological conditions suffered by pilots. She sees pilots from all over the country – both those who work for commercial airlines as well as recreational private pilots – who need to submit neurology evaluations to the FAA. She is also a neurology consultant to the FAA, serving on the FAA panel that determines whether a pilot is fit to fly from a neurological standpoint. She delivers talks focused on neurology and the aerospace sector.
In addition to aviation neurology, Dr. Leston’s practice focuses on general neurology referrals from within UT Southwestern. She is Director of the General Neurology Access Clinic. She teaches practice management to neurology residents in their final year of residency and has participated in clinical trials related to the treatment of headaches.
Working with the FAA prompted Dr. Leston to become interested in the impact of neurological disorders on public safety. She is now a member of the Medical Advisory Board for the Texas Department of Public Safety.
- Graduate School
- The University of Chicago (1997), Neurobiology
- Medical School
- Washington University School of Medicine (2001)
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2005), Neurology
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2006), Neurophysiology
- Neurologic disorders in commercial airline pilots
Honors & Awards
- Best Doctors in America
St. Louis Magazine / Best Doctors (2011-2013)
- Merit Award, Division of Biological Sciences
University of Chicago (1990)
- Illinois State Scholar
State of Illinois (1987-1990)
- James Scholar
University of Illinois (1987-1990)
- Aerospace Medicine Association (AsMA) (2018)
- International Aerospace Neurology Consortium (IANC) (2018)
- American Academy of Neurology (AAN) (2006)
- American Academy of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine (AANEM) (2006)