Jim Collins received his BS in Biology from Southeast Missouri State University (2003) and PhD from Washington University in St. Louis (2008). He did postdoctoral work with Phillip Newmark (Howard Hughes Medical Institute) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
His research focuses on the basic biology parasitic flatworms called schistosomes. These parasites infect more than 200 million of the world's poorest people, causing morbidity that rivals global killers including Malaria and TB. Despite their devastating global impact, only a single drug is available to treat schistosome infection. As a postdoc Dr. Collins developed new functional genomic tools to study these worms and using these tools discovered a novel population of stem cells that are likely key to parasite survival inside their human host. By studying these stem cells, and applying large-scale functional genomic approaches, his work aims to develop new therapeutic avenues to combat these devastating parasites.
- Drug Discovery
- Germ Cell Development
- Stem Cell Biology
- Methods for Studying the Germline of the Human Parasite Schistosoma mansoni.
- Collins JN, Collins JJ Methods Mol. Biol. 2017 1463 35-47
- Schistosomiasis as a disease of stem cells.
- Wendt GR, Collins JJ Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 2016 Jul 40 95-102
- NF-YB Regulates Spermatogonial Stem Cell Self-Renewal and Proliferation in the Planarian Schmidtea mediterranea.
- Iyer H, Collins JJ, Newmark PA PLoS Genet. 2016 Jun 12 6 e1006109
- Identification of new markers for the Schistosoma mansoni vitelline lineage.
- Wang J, Collins JJ Int. J. Parasitol. 2016 Apr
- Functional genomic characterization of neoblast-like stem cells in larval Schistosoma mansoni.
- Wang B, Collins JJ, Newmark PA Elife 2013 2 e00768
- It's no fluke: the planarian as a model for understanding schistosomes.
- Collins JJ, Newmark PA PLoS Pathog. 2013 9 7 e1003396
- A sex-specific transcription factor controls male identity in a simultaneous hermaphrodite.
- Chong T, Collins JJ, Brubacher JL, Zarkower D, Newmark PA Nat Commun 2013 4 1814
- Whole mount in situ hybridization methodology for Schistosoma mansoni.
- Cogswell AA, Collins JJ, Newmark PA, Williams DL Mol. Biochem. Parasitol. 2011 Jul-Aug 178 1-2 46-50