Jim Collins received his BS in Biology from Southeast Missouri State University (2003) and PhD from Washington University in St. Louis (2008). He did postdoctoral work with Phillip Newmark (Howard Hughes Medical Institute) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
His research focuses on the basic biology parasitic flatworms called schistosomes. These parasites infect more than 200 million of the world's poorest people, causing morbidity that rivals global killers including Malaria and TB. Despite their devastating global impact, only a single drug is available to treat schistosome infection. As a postdoc Dr. Collins developed new functional genomic tools to study these worms and using these tools discovered a novel population of stem cells that are likely key to parasite survival inside their human host. By studying these stem cells, and applying large-scale functional genomic approaches, his work aims to develop new therapeutic avenues to combat these devastating parasites.
- Germ cells
- Stem cells
- Flatworm-specific transcriptional regulators promote the specification of tegumental progenitors in Schistosoma mansoni
- Wendt GR, Collins JN, Pei J, Pearson MS, Bennett HM, Loukas A, Berriman M, Grishin NV, Collins JJ III eLife 2018 e33221
- Tissue Degeneration following Loss of Schistosoma mansoni cbp1 Is Associated with Increased Stem Cell Proliferation and Parasite Death In Vivo.
- Collins JN, Collins JJ PLoS Pathog. 2016 Nov 12 11 e1005963
- Stem cell progeny contribute to the schistosome host-parasite interface.
- Collins JJ, Wendt GR, Iyer H, Newmark PA Elife 2016 Mar 5
- Adult somatic stem cells in the human parasite Schistosoma mansoni.
- Collins JJ, Wang B, Lambrus BG, Tharp ME, Iyer H, Newmark PA Nature 2013 Feb 494 7438 476-9
- An atlas for Schistosoma mansoni organs and life-cycle stages using cell type-specific markers and confocal microscopy.
- Collins JJ, King RS, Cogswell A, Williams DL, Newmark PA PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2011 5 3 e1009
- Genome-wide analyses reveal a role for peptide hormones in planarian germline development.
- Collins JJ, Hou X, Romanova EV, Lambrus BG, Miller CM, Saberi A, Sweedler JV, Newmark PA PLoS Biol. 2010 8 10 e1000509
- Collins JJ Curr. Biol. 2017 Apr 27 7 R252-R256
- Methods for Studying the Germline of the Human Parasite Schistosoma mansoni.
- Collins JN, Collins JJ Methods Mol. Biol. 2017 1463 35-47
- Schistosomiasis as a disease of stem cells.
- Wendt GR, Collins JJ Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 2016 Jul 40 95-102
- NF-YB Regulates Spermatogonial Stem Cell Self-Renewal and Proliferation in the Planarian Schmidtea mediterranea.
- Iyer H, Collins JJ, Newmark PA PLoS Genet. 2016 Jun 12 6 e1006109