Ram Mani, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor with a joint appointment in the Departments of Pathology and Urology, and is a member of the Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas. He is a recipient of the K99/R00 Pathway to Independence award from the National Institutes of Health and a Young Investigator Award from the Prostate Cancer Foundation. Before starting his research laboratory in 2014, he was a Research Investigator (2011-2014) in the Department of Pathology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. His postdoctoral training (2007-2011) is in the area of prostate cancer genomics and epigenetics in Prof. Arul Chinnaiyan’s research group, University of Michigan. His doctoral research from Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore is in the area of human molecular genetics.
The overall focus of Dr. Mani’s research group is to study the molecular genetic and epigenetic events associated with cancer development, with the underlying aim of translating this knowledge in to novel diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic strategies. His research team members employ integrative approaches that include cell-based assays, studies using animal models, analysis of human cancer specimens, next-generation sequencing and bioinformatics to identify (1) the DNA damage and repair pathways that mediate cancer-specific recurrent genomic rearrangements and resistance to targeted therapies, and (2) the functional consequences of epigenetic and transcriptional deregulation in cancer development. These studies will serve as the basis for early cancer detection and therapeutic targeting. The Mani research laboratory is located in the seventh floor of the NB building.
- Graduate School
- Madurai Kamaraj University (2000), Integrated Biology
- Graduate School
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre Asr (2007), Molecular Genetics
- Epigenetic mechanisms underlying cancer progression
- ETS gene fusions in prostate cancer
- Genomic rearrangements in cancer
- Transcriptional regulation in prostate cancer
- Prostate carcinogenesis: inflammatory storms.
- de Bono JS, Guo C, Gurel B, De Marzo AM, Sfanos KS, Mani RS, Gil J, Drake CG, Alimonti A, Nat. Rev. Cancer 2020 Jun
- The landscape of RNA polymerase II associated chromatin interactions in prostate cancer.
- Ramanand SG, Chen Y, Yuan J, Daescu K, Lambros M, Houlahan KE, Carreira S, Yuan W, Baek G, Sharp A, Paschalis A, Kanchwala M, Gao Y, Aslam A, Safdar N, Zhan X, Raj GV, Xing C, Boutros PC, de Bono J, Zhang MQ, Mani RS, J. Clin. Invest. 2020 Apr
- Genome-wide germline correlates of the epigenetic landscape of prostate cancer.
- Houlahan KE, Shiah YJ, Gusev A, Yuan J, Ahmed M, Shetty A, Ramanand SG, Yao CQ, Bell C, O'Connor E, Huang V, Fraser M, Heisler LE, Livingstone J, Yamaguchi TN, Rouette A, Foucal A, Espiritu SMG, Sinha A, Sam M, Timms L, Johns J, Wong A, Murison A, Orain M, Picard V, Hovington H, Bergeron A, Lacombe L, Lupien M, Fradet Y, Têtu B, McPherson JD, Pasaniuc B, Kislinger T, Chua MLK, Pomerantz MM, van der Kwast T, Freedman ML, Mani RS, He HH, Bristow RG, Boutros PC, Nat. Med. 2019 Oct
- BRD4 Promotes DNA Repair and Mediates the Formation of TMPRSS2-ERG Gene Rearrangements in Prostate Cancer.
- Li X, Baek G, Ramanand SG, Sharp A, Gao Y, Yuan W, Welti J, Rodrigues DN, Dolling D, Figueiredo I, Sumanasuriya S, Crespo M, Aslam A, Li R, Yin Y, Mukherjee B, Kanchwala M, Hughes AM, Halsey WS, Chiang CM, Xing C, Raj GV, Burma S, de Bono J, Mani RS Cell Rep 2018 Jan 22 3 796-808
- Inflammation-Induced Oxidative Stress Mediates Gene Fusion Formation in Prostate Cancer.
- Mani RS, Amin MA, Li X, Kalyana-Sundaram S, Veeneman BA, Wang L, Ghosh A, Aslam A, Ramanand SG, Rabquer BJ, Kimura W, Tran M, Cao X, Roychowdhury S, Dhanasekaran SM, Palanisamy N, Sadek HA, Kapur P, Koch AE, Chinnaiyan AM Cell Rep 2016 Dec 17 10 2620-2631
- The emerging role of speckle-type POZ protein (SPOP) in cancer development.
- Mani RS Drug Discov. Today 2014 Jul
- Coordinated regulation of polycomb group complexes through microRNAs in cancer.
- Cao Q, Mani RS, Ateeq B, Dhanasekaran SM, Asangani IA, Prensner JR, Kim JH, Brenner JC, Jing X, Cao X, Wang R, Li Y, Dahiya A, Wang L, Pandhi M, Lonigro RJ, Wu YM, Tomlins SA, Palanisamy N, Qin Z, Yu J, Maher CA, Varambally S, Chinnaiyan AM Cancer Cell 2011 Aug 20 2 187-99
- TMPRSS2-ERG-mediated feed-forward regulation of wild-type ERG in human prostate cancers.
- Mani RS, Iyer MK, Cao Q, Brenner JC, Wang L, Ghosh A, Cao X, Lonigro RJ, Tomlins SA, Varambally S, Chinnaiyan AM Cancer Res. 2011 Aug 71 16 5387-92
- Triggers for genomic rearrangements: insights into genomic, cellular and environmental influences.
- Mani RS, Chinnaiyan AM Nat. Rev. Genet. 2010 Dec 11 12 819-29
- An integrated network of androgen receptor, polycomb, and TMPRSS2-ERG gene fusions in prostate cancer progression.
- Yu J, Yu J, Mani RS, Cao Q, Brenner CJ, Cao X, Wang X, Wu L, Li J, Hu M, Gong Y, Cheng H, Laxman B, Vellaichamy A, Shankar S, Li Y, Dhanasekaran SM, Morey R, Barrette T, Lonigro RJ, Tomlins SA, Varambally S, Qin ZS, Chinnaiyan AM Cancer Cell 2010 May 17 5 443-54
Honors & Awards
- American Cancer Society (ACS-IRG) New Investigator Award in Cancer Research
- NIH Pathway to Independence (PI) Award (K99/R00)
- AACR-Prostate Cancer Foundation Scholar-in-Training Award
- AACR‑Aflac, Incorporated Scholar-in-Training Award
- Prostate Cancer Foundation Young Investigator Award