Dr. An is originally from China and received his undergraduate education and graduate training at Peking University, Beijing, China. Upon the completion of the Ph.D. training in Pharmacology, Dr. An joined Dr. Philipp Scherer’s laboratory at UT Southwestern to pursue his postdoctoral training in the context of adipose tissue biology. When being promoted to an Assistant Instructor position, Dr. An brings to UT Southwestern a strong background in cardiovascular pharmacology and obesity pathophysiology. Dr. An’s current research interests center around identifying novel mechanisms underlying the adipose tissue expansion, particularly dissecting the roles of angiogenesis and mitochondrial function/dysfunction in adipocyte physiology and pathophysiology. His ultimate career goal is to set up an independent research laboratory that carries out paradigm-shifting research in the fields of obesity, diabetes, and metabolism.
- Adipose Biology
- Dermal adipose tissue has high plasticity and undergoes reversible dedifferentiation in mice.
- Zhang Z, Shao M, Hepler C, Zi Z, Zhao S, An YA, Zhu Y, Ghaben AL, Wang MY, Li N, Onodera T, Joffin N, Crewe C, Zhu Q, Vishvanath L, Kumar A, Xing C, Wang QA, Gautron L, Deng Y, Gordillo R, Kruglikov I, Kusminski CM, Gupta RK, Scherer PE, J. Clin. Invest. 2019 Dec 129 12 5327-5342
- Dysregulation of Amyloid Precursor Protein Impairs Adipose Tissue Mitochondrial Function and Promotes Obesity.
- An YA, Crewe C, Asterholm IW, Sun K, Chen S, Zhang F, Shao M, Funcke JB, Zhang Z, Straub L, Klein S, Kusminski CM, Scherer PE, Nat Metab 2019 Dec 1 12 1243-1257
- An Adipose Tissue Atlas: An Image-Guided Identification of Human-like BAT and Beige Depots in Rodents.
- Zhang F, Hao G, Shao M, Nham K, An Y, Wang Q, Zhu Y, Kusminski CM, Hassan G, Gupta RK, Zhai Q, Sun X, Scherer PE, Oz OK Cell Metab. 2018 Jan 27 1 252-262.e3
- VEGF-A Expressing Adipose Tissue Shows Rapid Beiging, Enhanced Survival After Transplantation and Confers IL4-Independent Metabolic Improvements.
- Park J, Kim M, Sun K, An YA, Gu X, Scherer PE Diabetes 2017 Mar
- Angiopoietin-2 in white adipose tissue improves metabolic homeostasis through enhanced angiogenesis.
- An YA, Sun K, Joffin N, Zhang F, Deng Y, Donzé O, Kusminski CM, Scherer PE Elife 2017 Mar 6
- An adipo-biliary-uridine axis that regulates energy homeostasis.
- Deng Y, Wang ZV, Gordillo R, An Y, Zhang C, Liang Q, Yoshino J, Cautivo KM, De Brabander J, Elmquist JK, Horton JD, Hill JA, Klein S, Scherer PE Science 2017 Mar 355 6330
- The ominous triad of adipose tissue dysfunction: inflammation, fibrosis, and impaired angiogenesis.
- Crewe C, An YA, Scherer PE J. Clin. Invest. 2017 Jan 127 1 74-82
- Hypoxia-inducible factor-1a dependent pathways mediate the renoprotective role of acetazolamide against renal ischemia-reperfusion injury.
- An Y, Zhang JZ, Han J, Yang HP, Tie L, Yang XY, Xiaokaiti Y, Pan Y, Li XJ, Cell. Physiol. Biochem. 2013 32 5 1151-66
- Curcumin induces autophagy to protect vascular endothelial cell survival from oxidative stress damage.
- Han J, Pan XY, Xu Y, Xiao Y, An Y, Tie L, Pan Y, Li XJ, Autophagy 2012 May 8 5 812-25
- Aquaporin-1 translocation and degradation mediates the water transportation mechanism of acetazolamide.
- Zhang J, An Y, Gao J, Han J, Pan X, Pan Y, Tie L, Li X, PLoS ONE 2012 7 9 e45976
Honors & Awards
- Scholarship on Obesity and Adipose Tissue Biology
Keystone Symposia (2017)
- Excellent Graduate Student
City of Beijing, China (2013)
- National Scholarship
Minister of Education, China (2012)
- American Diabetes Association (2017-2018)
- American Heart Association (2014-2015)