Dr. Shao is originally from China and received his PhD training at Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences. His doctoral work focused on the regulatory roles of cellular stress response in liver physiology and pathology. He then moved to UTSW where he trained as a postdoctoral researcher studying the transcriptional mechanisms governing adipocyte differentiation and functions. Dr. Shao is now focused on understanding the molecular mechanisms controlling adipose stromal cell fate decision and cellular heterogeneity.
- Adipose Biology
- Transcriptional Regulation
- Transcriptional brakes on the road to adipocyte thermogenesis.
- Shao M, Gupta RK Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids 2019 Jan 1864 1 20-28
- preadipocytes protects against pathologic visceral adipose expansion in obesity.
- Shao M, Vishvanath L, Busbuso NC, Hepler C, Shan B, Sharma AX, Chen S, Yu X, An YA, Zhu Y, Holland WL, Gupta RK Nat Commun 2018 03 9 1 890
- Fetal development of subcutaneous white adipose tissue is dependent on Zfp423.
- Shao M, Hepler C, Vishvanath L, MacPherson KA, Busbuso NC, Gupta RK Mol Metab 2017 01 6 1 111-124
- Zfp423 Maintains White Adipocyte Identity through Suppression of the Beige Cell Thermogenic Gene Program.
- Shao M, Ishibashi J, Kusminski CM, Wang QA, Hepler C, Vishvanath L, MacPherson KA, Spurgin SB, Sun K, Holland WL, Seale P, Gupta RK Cell Metab. 2016 Jun 23 6 1167-1184
- Role for the endoplasmic reticulum stress sensor IRE1a in liver regenerative responses.
- Liu Y, Shao M, Wu Y, Yan C, Jiang S, Liu J, Dai J, Yang L, Li J, Jia W, Rui L, Liu Y J. Hepatol. 2015 Mar 62 3 590-8
- Hepatic IRE1a regulates fasting-induced metabolic adaptive programs through the XBP1s-PPARa axis signalling.
- Shao M, Shan B, Liu Y, Deng Y, Yan C, Wu Y, Mao T, Qiu Y, Zhou Y, Jiang S, Jia W, Li J, Li J, Rui L, Yang L, Liu Y Nat Commun 2014 5 3528
- Herbal constituent sequoyitol improves hyperglycemia and glucose intolerance by targeting hepatocytes, adipocytes, and ß-cells.
- Shen H, Shao M, Cho KW, Wang S, Chen Z, Sheng L, Wang T, Liu Y, Rui L Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 2012 Apr 302 8 E932-40
- PKA phosphorylation couples hepatic inositol-requiring enzyme 1alpha to glucagon signaling in glucose metabolism.
- Mao T, Shao M, Qiu Y, Huang J, Zhang Y, Song B, Wang Q, Jiang L, Liu Y, Han JD, Cao P, Li J, Gao X, Rui L, Qi L, Li W, Liu Y, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011 Sep 108 38 15852-7
Honors & Awards
- Career Development Award
American Heart Association (2019)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship
American Heart Association (2015)
- American Heart Association (2015)