Dr. Weibo Luo is an Assistant Professor in the Departments of Pathology and Pharmacology at UT Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW) since December 2014. Dr. Luo received his Ph.D summa cum laude from the University of Magdeburg, Germany in 2007, completed his postdoctoral fellowship and instructorship with 2019 Nobel Laureate Dr. Gregg L. Semenza at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine before joining UTSW.
Dr. Luo studies oxygen homeostasis in tumor growth and metastasis at the molecular and cellular levels, with a particular focus on hypoxia-inducible factors (HIFs). He utilizes the multidisciplinary approaches to study crosstalk of HIF, epigenetics, and metabolism and their roles in tumor growth and metastasis. His overall goals are to identify the novel hypoxia-specific therapeutic targets and ultimately to translate knowledge to cancer therapy.
- Gene regulation
- Hypoxia-inducible factor
- Tumor growth and metastasis
- CHD4 promotes breast cancer progression as a coactivator of hypoxia-inducible factors.
- Wang Y, Chen Y, Bao L, Zhang B, Wang JE, Kumar A, Xing C, Wang Y, Luo W, Cancer Res. 2020 Jul
- Regulation of branched-chain amino acid metabolism by hypoxia-inducible factor in glioblastoma.
- Zhang B, Chen Y, Shi X, Zhou M, Bao L, Hatanpaa KJ, Patel T, DeBerardinis RJ, Wang Y, Luo W, Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 2020 Feb
- HIF-2-induced long non-coding RNA RAB11B-AS1 promotes hypoxia-mediated angiogenesis and breast cancer metastasis.
- Niu Y, Bao L, Chen Y, Wang C, Luo M, Zhang B, Zhou M, Wang JE, Fang YV, Kumar A, Xing C, Wang Y, Luo W, Cancer Res. 2020 Jan
- Methylation of hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF)-1a by G9a/GLP inhibits HIF-1 transcriptional activity and cell migration.
- Bao L, Chen Y, Lai HT, Wu SY, Wang JE, Hatanpaa KJ, Raisanen JM, Fontenot M, Lega B, Chiang CM, Semenza GL, Wang Y, Luo W Nucleic Acids Res. 2018 May
- ZMYND8 acetylation mediates HIF-dependent breast cancer progression and metastasis.
- Chen Y, Zhang B, Bao L, Jin L, Yang M, Peng Y, Kumar A, Wang JE, Wang C, Zou X, Xing C, Wang Y, Luo W J. Clin. Invest. 2018 Apr
- Pyruvate kinase M2 is a PHD3-stimulated coactivator for hypoxia-inducible factor 1.
- Luo W, Hu H, Chang R, Zhong J, Knabel M, O'Meally R, Cole RN, Pandey A, Semenza GL Cell 2011 May 145 5 732-44
- PARP-1 and its associated nucleases in DNA damage response.
- Wang Y, Luo W, Wang Y, DNA Repair (Amst.) 2019 Jul 102651
- Hypoxia Mediates Tumor Malignancy and Therapy Resistance.
- Luo W, Wang Y, Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 2019 1136 1-18
- Epigenetic regulators: multifunctional proteins modulating hypoxia-inducible factor-a protein stability and activity.
- Luo W, Wang Y Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 2017 Oct
- The ubiquitin ligase Stub1 negatively modulates regulatory T cell suppressive activity by promoting degradation of the transcription factor Foxp3.
- Chen Z, Barbi J, Bu S, Yang HY, Li Z, Gao Y, Jinasena D, Fu J, Lin F, Chen C, Zhang J, Yu N, Li X, Shan Z, Nie J, Gao Z, Tian H, Li Y, Yao Z, Zheng Y, Park BV, Pan Z, Zhang J, Dang E, Li Z, Wang H, Luo W, Li L, Semenza GL, Zheng SG, Loser K, Tsun A, Greene MI, Pardoll DM, Pan F, Li B Immunity 2013 Aug 39 2 272-85
Honors & Awards
- Mary Kay Foundation Research Award
- Susan G. Komen Career Catalyst Research Award
- Welch Foundation Research Award
- American Cancer Society (ACS-IRG) New Investigator Awards in Cancer Research
- CPRIT Scholar in Cancer Research
Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas (2014)
- AACR-Bristol-Myers Squibb Oncology Scholar-in-Training Award
American Association for Cancer Research (2013)
- NIH Pathway to Independence Award
National Cancer Institute (2013)
- Albert L. Lehninger Postdoctoral Research Award
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2012)
- FARMS Postdoctoral Fellowship
Dr. Richard and Mavis Fowler Foundation for Advanced Research in the Medical Sciences, Inc (2011)
- PhD summa cum laude
University of Magdeburg, Germany (2007)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2011)