Pamela J. Okada, M.D., M.S., F.A.A.P., F.A.C.E.P., is board certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine. Dr. Okada received her medical degree from Tulane University School of Medicine in 1990, and completed her pediatric residency at Harbor-UCLA Medical School (1990-1993), and her pediatric emergency medicine fellowship at UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (1993-1996). In 2016, Dr. Okada completed a Master of Science in Clinical Science at UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and in 2018, completed a Certificate for the Alliance of Medical Management Education at the University of Texas at Dallas.
She is a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Emergency Physicians, and Texas Pediatric Society, and on the Editorial Board for the Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas. Dr. Okada is the Medical Director and Service Chief of the Plano Children's Emergency Department. She has served as the President of the Children’s Health Plano Medical Staff and Chair of the Credential’s Committee. Dr. Okada is one of the Associate Program Director’s for the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center/Children’s Health Pediatric Residency Program. She has a passion for mentoring the next generation of pediatricians and cultivating relationships with practicing pediatricians in the Greater Dallas Fort Worth community. Her research interests include neurologic emergencies from traumatic brain injury, infection, and seizures.
- Medical School
- Tulane University School of Medicine (1990)
- Harbor - UCLA Medical Center (1993), Pediatrics
- Harbor - UCLA Medical Center (1994), Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Children's Health Dallas (1996), Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2011), Clinical Science
- Neurologic Emergencies
- Pediatric Seizures
- Pediatric Trauma Outcomes Research
- Traumatic brain injury
- Application of the Bacterial Meningitis Score for Infants Aged 0 to 60 Days.
- Rees CA, Cruz AT, Freedman SB, Mahajan P, Uspal NG, Okada P, Aronson PL, Thompson AD, Ishimine PT, Schmidt SM, Kuppermann N, Nigrovic LE, J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc 2019 Dec 8 6 559-562
- Randomized Trial of Three Anticonvulsant Medications for Status Epilepticus.
- Kapur J, Elm J, Chamberlain JM, Barsan W, Cloyd J, Lowenstein D, Shinnar S, Conwit R, Meinzer C, Cock H, Fountain N, Connor JT, Silbergleit R, N. Engl. J. Med. 2019 11 381 22 2103-2113
- Management of Pain After Pediatric Trauma.
- Day LM, Huang R, Okada PJ Pediatr Emerg Care 2019 Jan
- Objective Evaluation of a Simulation Course for Residents in the Pediatric Emergency Medicine Department: Breaking Bad News.
- Yuan YY, Scott S, Van Horn N, Oke O, Okada P, Cureus 2019 Jan 11 1 e3903
- Presenting Characteristics Associated With Outcome in Children With Severe Traumatic Brain Injury: A Secondary Analysis From a Randomized, Controlled Trial of Therapeutic Hypothermia.
- Rosario BL, Horvat CM, Wisniewski SR, Bell MJ, Panigrahy A, Zuccoli G, Narayanan S, Balasubramani GK, Beers SR, Adelson PD Pediatr Crit Care Med 2018 10 19 10 957-964
- Herpes Simplex Virus Infection in Infants Undergoing Meningitis Evaluation.
- Cruz AT, Freedman SB, Kulik DM, Okada PJ, Fleming AH, Mistry RD, Thomson JE, Schnadower D, Arms JL, Mahajan P, Garro AC, Pruitt CM, Balamuth F, Uspal NG, Aronson PL, Lyons TW, Thompson AD, Curtis SJ, Ishimine PT, Schmidt SM, Bradin SA, Grether-Jones KL, Miller AS, Louie J, Shah SS, Nigrovic LE Pediatrics 2018 Jan
- Impact of Enteroviral Polymerase Chain Reaction Testing on Length of Stay for Infants 60 Days Old or Younger.
- Aronson PL, Lyons TW, Cruz AT, Freedman SB, Okada PJ, Fleming AH, Arms JL, Thompson AD, Schmidt SM, Louie J, Alfonzo MJ, Monuteaux MC, Nigrovic LE J. Pediatr. 2017 Jul
- Therapeutic Hypothermia after In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Children.
- Moler FW, Silverstein FS, Holubkov R, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Nadkarni VM, Meert KL, Browning B, Pemberton VL, Page K, Gildea MR, Scholefield BR, Shankaran S, Hutchison JS, Berger JT, Ofori-Amanfo G, Newth CJ, Topjian A, Bennett KS, Koch JD, Pham N, Chanani NK, Pineda JA, Harrison R, Dalton HJ, Alten J, Schleien CL, Goodman DM, Zimmerman JJ, Bhalala US, Schwarz AJ, Porter MB, Shah S, Fink EL, McQuillen P, Wu T, Skellett S, Thomas NJ, Nowak JE, Baines PB, Pappachan J, Mathur M, Lloyd E, van der Jagt EW, Dobyns EL, Meyer MT, Sanders RC, Clark AE, Dean JM N. Engl. J. Med. 2017 01 376 4 318-329
- Interpretation of Cerebrospinal Fluid White Blood Cell Counts in Young Infants With a Traumatic Lumbar Puncture.
- Lyons TW, Cruz AT, Freedman SB, Neuman MI, Balamuth F, Mistry RD, Mahajan P, Aronson PL, Thomson JE, Pruitt CM, Shah SS, Nigrovic LE Ann Emerg Med 2016 Dec
- Pediatric Fractures Secondary to Trampoline Injury: A Prospective Analysis of User Circumstances and Injury Severity with Respect to American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Statement
- Ho C, Phelps J, Evans N, Okada P, Wilson P. J Pediatr Emerg Intensive Care Med 2016 3 1-10
The Adolescent Pregnant Patient. In Pediatric Emergency Medicine: Just the Facts, 2nd edition, G. Strange, W. Ahrens, R. Schafermeyer, R. Wiebe, H. Prendergast, V. Dobiesz, eds.
Okada PJ, Rodriguez AM, Sheffield JS (2012). McGraw-Hill
Dysmenorrhea and Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding. In Pediatric Emergency Medicine: Just the Facts, 2nd edition, G. Strange, W. Ahrens, R. Schafermeyer, R. Wiebe, H. Prendergast, V. Dobiesz, eds.
Okada PJ, Uribe M (2012). McGraw-Hill
Submersion Injury. In Rudolph's Pediatrics, 22nd edition, C. Rudolph, A. Rudolph, G. Lister, A. Gershon, eds.
Okada PJ, Baker MD (2011). McGraw-Hill
Nontraumatic Surgical Emergencies. In APLS: The Pediatric Emergency Medicine Resource, 5th edition, American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Emergency Physicians, eds.
Okada PJ, Hicks B (2011). Jones & Bartlett Learning
Approach to the Acutely Ill Patient: Seizures. In Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 1st edition, J. Baren, S. Rothrock, J. Brennan, L. Brown, eds.
Marr J, Okada PJ (2008). Philadelphia, Saunders Elsevier
Reduction of Common Joint Dislocations and Subluxations. In Textbook of Pediatric Emergency Procedures, 2nd edition, C. King, F. Henretig, B. King, J. Loiselle, R. Ruddy, J. Wiley, eds.
Johnson FC, Okada PJ (2008). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Gastrointestinal Emergencies. In Current Diagnosis & Treatment Pediatric Emergency Medicine, C. Stone, R. Humphries, D. Drigala, M. Stephan, eds.
Okada PJ, Minkes RK (2015). McGraw-Hill Education; 413-442.
Honors & Awards
- UT Southwestern Leaders in Clinical Excellence, Patient and Family Recognition Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Family Medicine Teaching Award
- PEMQBook Board Review Course 2019 Course Co-Director, Dallas, Texas (2018-2019)
- PEMTalks Course Director, Plano Children's Medical Center (2017)
- Co-Director Pediatric Trauma Course, Istanbul Turkey (2012)
- Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas, Editorial Board (2010)
- American College of Emergency Physicians (2003)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2003)
- Texas Pediatric Society, Section of Emergency Medicine and Child Abuse (2003)
- Society of Academic Emergency Medicine (1998-2006)
- Ambulatory Pediatric Association (1997)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1997)