A native of Henan, China, Dr. Gao received his undergraduate degree in animal science from Henan Agricultural College and his master’s in veterinary medicine at Yangzhou University. He earned his doctorate in biophysics at Fudan University in Shanghai., followed by postdoctoral fellowships in cancer metastasis and microenvironment at Eastern Virginia Medical School and UT Southwestern.
He joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018.
Dr. Gao’s research interests include brain tumor microenvironment, glioma-stromal communication, and the mechanism of glioma genesis. His investigations have resulted in 19 publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Brain Tumor Microenvironment
- Glioma-stromal Communication
- Mechanism of Glioma Genesis
- Using arterial-venous analysis to characterize cancer metabolic consumption in patients.
- Xiong N, Gao X, Zhao H, Cai F, Zhang FC, Yuan Y, Liu W, He F, Zacharias LG, Lin H, Vu HS, Xing C, Yao DX, Chen F, Luo B, Sun W, DeBerardinis RJ, Xu H, Ge WP, Nat Commun 2020 Jun 11 1 3169
- Gliomas Interact with Non-glioma Brain Cells via Extracellular Vesicles.
- Gao X, Zhang Z, Mashimo T, Shen B, Nyagilo J, Wang H, Wang Y, Liu Z, Mulgaonkar A, Hu XL, Piccirillo SGM, Eskiocak U, Davé DP, Qin S, Yang Y, Sun X, Fu YX, Zong H, Sun W, Bachoo RM, Ge WP, Cell Rep 2020 Feb 30 8 2489-2500.e5
- Metformin Alters Locomotor and Cognitive Function and Brain Metabolism in Normoglycemic Mice.
- Li W, Chaudhari K, Shetty R, Winters A, Gao X, Hu Z, Ge WP, Sumien N, Forster M, Liu R, Yang SH, Aging Dis 2019 Oct 10 5 949-963
- PET imaging of occult tumours by temporal integration of tumour-acidosis signals from pH-sensitive 64Cu-labelled polymers.
- Huang G, Zhao T, Wang C, Nham K, Xiong Y, Gao X, Wang Y, Hao G, Ge WP, Sun X, Sumer BD, Gao J, Nat Biomed Eng 2019 Jun
- SR-B1 drives endothelial cell LDL transcytosis via DOCK4 to promote atherosclerosis.
- Huang L, Chambliss KL, Gao X, Yuhanna IS, Behling-Kelly E, Bergaya S, Ahmed M, Michaely P, Luby-Phelps K, Darehshouri A, Xu L, Fisher EA, Ge WP, Mineo C, Shaul PW, Nature 2019 Apr
- F]Fluoroethyl-Tryptophan for PET Imaging of Cancer.
- Xin Y, Gao X, Liu L, Ge WP, Jain MK, Cai H Mol Imaging Biol 2019 Feb
- Tissue clearing of both hard and soft tissue organs with the PEGASOS method.
- Jing D, Zhang S, Luo W, Gao X, Men Y, Ma C, Liu X, Yi Y, Bugde A, Zhou BO, Zhao Z, Yuan Q, Feng JQ, Gao L, Ge WP, Zhao H Cell Res. 2018 May
- Targeting orthotopic gliomas with renal-clearable luminescent gold nanoparticles.
- Peng C, Gao X, Xu J, Du B, Ning X, Tang S, Bachoo RM, Yu M, Ge WP, Zheng J Nano Res 2017 Apr 10 4 1366-1376
- Control of cerebral ischemia with magnetic nanoparticles.
- Jia JM, Chowdary PD, Gao X, Ci B, Li W, Mulgaonkar A, Plautz EJ, Hassan G, Kumar A, Stowe AM, Yang SH, Zhou W, Sun X, Cui B, Ge WP Nat. Methods 2016 Dec
- Sigma-1 receptor agonists directly inhibit Nav1.2/1.4 channels.
- Gao XF, Yao JJ, He YL, Hu C, Mei YA, PLoS ONE 2012 7 11 e49384
Honors & Awards
- Methodology Award
Children's Research Institute, UT Southwestern (2019)
- Society for Neuroscience (2018-2019)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2013-2014)