Dr. Gao received his doctorate in Biophysics in 2012, from Fudan University in Shanghai, China. Drawn by the opportunity for the cancer biology research, he completed his postdoctoral fellowship at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk and UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas in breast cancer and pancreatic cancer mouse model and brain cancer related signaling pathways. In 2018, He joined UT Southwestern Medical Center as a faculty member in the Children’s Research Institute and focused on neurovascular disease study and glioblastoma study by electrophysiological recording and in vivo imaging in mouse model. Later he transferred to the Department of Internal Medicine and joined the lab of Drs. Elizabeth Maher and Robert Bachoo, to continue his research projects in glioma by using patient derived xenografts and mouse model. His research works were published in Cell Reports, Nature Communications, PLoS One et al. His research may contributes to the understanding of the mechanism of glioma genesis and glioma- stromal communication.
- Brain Tumor Microenvironment
- Glioma-stromal Communication
- Mechanism of Glioma Genesis
- Using arterial-venous analysis to characterize cancer metabolic consumption in patients.
- Xiong N, Gao X, Zhao H, Cai F, Zhang FC, Yuan Y, Liu W, He F, Zacharias LG, Lin H, Vu HS, Xing C, Yao DX, Chen F, Luo B, Sun W, DeBerardinis RJ, Xu H, Ge WP, Nat Commun 2020 Jun 11 1 3169
- Gliomas Interact with Non-glioma Brain Cells via Extracellular Vesicles.
- Gao X, Zhang Z, Mashimo T, Shen B, Nyagilo J, Wang H, Wang Y, Liu Z, Mulgaonkar A, Hu XL, Piccirillo SGM, Eskiocak U, Davé DP, Qin S, Yang Y, Sun X, Fu YX, Zong H, Sun W, Bachoo RM, Ge WP, Cell Rep 2020 Feb 30 8 2489-2500.e5
- Metformin Alters Locomotor and Cognitive Function and Brain Metabolism in Normoglycemic Mice.
- Li W, Chaudhari K, Shetty R, Winters A, Gao X, Hu Z, Ge WP, Sumien N, Forster M, Liu R, Yang SH, Aging Dis 2019 Oct 10 5 949-963
- PET imaging of occult tumours by temporal integration of tumour-acidosis signals from pH-sensitive 64Cu-labelled polymers.
- Huang G, Zhao T, Wang C, Nham K, Xiong Y, Gao X, Wang Y, Hao G, Ge WP, Sun X, Sumer BD, Gao J, Nat Biomed Eng 2019 Jun
- SR-B1 drives endothelial cell LDL transcytosis via DOCK4 to promote atherosclerosis.
- Huang L, Chambliss KL, Gao X, Yuhanna IS, Behling-Kelly E, Bergaya S, Ahmed M, Michaely P, Luby-Phelps K, Darehshouri A, Xu L, Fisher EA, Ge WP, Mineo C, Shaul PW, Nature 2019 Apr
- F]Fluoroethyl-Tryptophan for PET Imaging of Cancer.
- Xin Y, Gao X, Liu L, Ge WP, Jain MK, Cai H Mol Imaging Biol 2019 Feb
- Tissue clearing of both hard and soft tissue organs with the PEGASOS method.
- Jing D, Zhang S, Luo W, Gao X, Men Y, Ma C, Liu X, Yi Y, Bugde A, Zhou BO, Zhao Z, Yuan Q, Feng JQ, Gao L, Ge WP, Zhao H Cell Res. 2018 May
- Targeting orthotopic gliomas with renal-clearable luminescent gold nanoparticles.
- Peng C, Gao X, Xu J, Du B, Ning X, Tang S, Bachoo RM, Yu M, Ge WP, Zheng J Nano Res 2017 Apr 10 4 1366-1376
- Control of cerebral ischemia with magnetic nanoparticles.
- Jia JM, Chowdary PD, Gao X, Ci B, Li W, Mulgaonkar A, Plautz EJ, Hassan G, Kumar A, Stowe AM, Yang SH, Zhou W, Sun X, Cui B, Ge WP Nat. Methods 2016 Dec
- Sigma-1 receptor agonists directly inhibit Nav1.2/1.4 channels.
- Gao XF, Yao JJ, He YL, Hu C, Mei YA, PLoS ONE 2012 7 11 e49384
Honors & Awards
- Methodology Award
Children's Research Institute, UT Southwestern (2019)
- Society for Neuroscience (2018-2019)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2013-2014)