Dr. Lega received his general neurosurgical training at the University of Pennsylvania and dedicated fellowship training in epilepsy surgery at the renowned program of the Cleveland Clinic. He has delivered lectures to international audiences related to several topics in surgery to treat seizures. Dr. Lega employs his training in the principles of human memory, learned in the lab of Dr. Michael Kahana at Penn, in the planning and execution of surgery to treat brain tumors and seizures. He also cares for general neurosurgical conditions including spine problems, hydrocephalus, and related conditions.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2006)
- University of Pennsylvania Health System (2007), General Surgery
- University of Pennsylvania (2013), Neurological Surgery
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (2014), Epilepsy
- Memory encoding and retrieval
- Restoring memory function after brain injury
- Hemispheric malformations of cortical development: surgical indications and approach.
- Lega B, Mullin J, Wyllie E, Bingaman W Childs Nerv Syst 2014 Nov 30 11 1831-7
- Slow-Theta-to-Gamma Phase-Amplitude Coupling in Human Hippocampus Supports the Formation of New Episodic Memories.
- Lega B, Burke J, Jacobs J, Kahana MJ Cereb. Cortex 2014 Oct
- The gamma band effect for episodic memory encoding is absent in epileptogenic hippocampi.
- Lega B, Dionisio S, Bingaman W, Najm I, Gonzalez-Martinez J Clin Neurophysiol 2014 Sep
- Human hippocampal theta oscillations and the formation of episodic memories.
- Lega BC, Jacobs J, Kahana M Hippocampus 2012 Apr 22 4 748-61
- Neuronal activity in the human subthalamic nucleus encodes decision conflict during action selection.
- Zaghloul KA, Weidemann CT, Lega BC, Jaggi JL, Baltuch GH, Kahana MJ J. Neurosci. 2012 Feb 32 7 2453-60
- Neuronal and oscillatory activity during reward processing in the human ventral striatum.
- Lega BC, Kahana MJ, Jaggi J, Baltuch GH, Zaghloul K Neuroreport 2011 Nov 22 16 795-800
- Brain-machine interfaces: electrophysiological challenges and limitations.
- Lega BC, Serruya MD, Zaghloul KA Crit Rev Biomed Eng 2011 39 1 5-28
- Cortical resection tailored to awake, intraoperative ictal recordings and motor mapping in the treatment of intractable epilepsia partialis continua: technical case report.
- Lega BC, Wilfong AA, Goldsmith IL, Verma A, Yoshor D Neurosurgery 2009 Mar 64 3 Suppl ons195-6; discussion ons196
- A patient with thoracic intradural disc herniation.
- Whitmore RG, Williams BJ, Lega BC, Sanborn MR, Marcotte P J Clin Neurosci 2011 Dec 18 12 1730-2
- Morphometric measurements of the anterior skull base for endoscopic transoral and transnasal approaches.
- Lega BC, Kramer DR, Newman JG, Lee JY Skull Base 2011 Jan 21 1 65-70