Jerry Y. Niederkorn is Professor and Vice Chair of Research in the Department of Ophthalmology, as well as Chair of the Immunology Graduate Program at UT Southwestern. He has an active immunology research program and mentors Ph.D. students, all of whom are engaged in eye research.
Dr. Niederkorn’s research activities have focused on:
- The immunology of corneal transplantation;
- The role of the immune system in controlling the growth and metastasis of intraocular melanoma;
- Vaccination studies on Acanthamoeba keratitis; and
- Immune regulation in the eye.
- Graduate School
- Central Missouri State Univers (1972), Biology
- Graduate School
- University of Arkansas-Fayette (1977), Zoology
- Biology, Immunology and Therapy of Acanthamoeba Keratitis
- Immunobiology of Autoimmune Dry Eye Disease
- Immunobiology of Corneal Allografts
- Immunological Modulation of Ocular Tumor Metastases
- Transplant and Tumor Rejection Processes within the Eye
- Induction of Contrasuppressor Cells and Loss of Immune Privilege Produced by Corneal Nerve Ablation.
- Neelam S, Mellon J, Wilkerson A, Niederkorn JY Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2018 Sep 59 11 4738-4747
- Pathobiology and Immunobiology of Acanthamoeba Keratitis: Insights from Animal Models?.
- Neelam S, Niederkorn JY Yale J Biol Med 2017 Jun 90 2 261-268
- Effect of Corneal Nerve Ablation on Immune Tolerance Induced by Corneal Allografts, Oral Immunization, or Anterior Chamber Injection of Antigens.
- Mo J, Neelam S, Mellon J, Brown JR, Niederkorn JY Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2017 Jan 58 1 137-148
- Growth and Metastasis of Intraocular Tumors in Aged Mice.
- Han Z, Brown JR, Niederkorn JY Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016 May 57 6 2366-76
- Natural Killer T Cells Contribute to Neutrophil Recruitment and Ocular Tissue Damage in a Model of Intraocular Tumor Rejection.
- Ligocki AJ, Niederkorn JY Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016 Mar 57 3 813-23
- Role of interferon-? and cytotoxic T lymphocytes in intraocular tumor rejection.
- Ligocki AJ, Brown JR, Niederkorn JY J. Leukoc. Biol. 2015 Nov
- Advances on Non-CD4 + Foxp3+ T Regulatory Cells: CD8+, Type 1, and Double Negative T Regulatory Cells in Organ Transplantation.
- Ligocki AJ, Niederkorn JY Transplantation 2015 Jul
- Immunology of Corneal Allografts: Insights from Animal Models.
- Niederkorn JY J Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2015 Jun 6 3
- Severing Corneal Nerves in One Eye Induces Sympathetic Loss of Immune Privilege and Promotes Rejection of Future Corneal Allografts Placed in Either Eye.
- Paunicka KJ, Mellon J, Robertson D, Petroll M, Brown JR, Niederkorn JY Am. J. Transplant. 2015 Apr
- NKT cells act through third party bone marrow-derived cells to suppress NK cell activity in the liver and exacerbate hepatic melanoma metastases.
- Sadegh L, Chen PW, Brown JR, Han Z, Niederkorn JY Int. J. Cancer 2015 Feb
Honors & Awards
Royal C. Miller Chair in Age-Related Macular Degeneration Research (2011)
- Vice Chair, Research
Department of Ophthalmology (2011)
- Visiting Professor
Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat-sen University, (2007)
George A. and Nancy P. Shutt Professorship in Medical Science (1995)
3 NIH R01 Research Grants (0)
NIH CORE Grant (0)
- Editorial Board , American Journal of Transplantation
- Editorial Board, Current Eye Research
- Editorial Board, Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
- Immunology Graduate Program