Dr. Nivedita Patni received her medical degree from All-India Institute of Medical Sciences in India, and completed her pediatric residency at Miami Children’s Hospital before coming to UT Southwestern Medical Center for Pediatric Endocrinology fellowship. Her academic and clinical interests are pediatric endocrine and lipid disorders; including genetic dyslipidemias like type 1 hyperlipoproteinemia (T1HLP) and rare lipodystrophy and progeria syndromes; and is actively seeing all pediatric lipid disorders at Children’s Dallas. She has published about prevalence, clinical features and various etiologies of extreme hypertriglyceridemia in children; and is working on determining genetic basis of lipid disorders in children and investigating the genotype-phenotype relationships in these patients. Patients with T1HLP are a challenge to treat, and at this time, there is no specific therapy for these patients. She recently completed a pilot randomized, open label, cross over clinical trial of gastric and pancreatic lipase inhibitor, orlistat in these patients and showed promising results. She has described a novel syndrome of generalized lipodystrophy associated with pilocytic astrocytoma and novel finding of juvenile-onset generalized lipodystrophy in two patients with a new mutation in LMNA gene. She has also studied and published detailed clinical and metabolic parameters of children with FPLD-2 causing LMNA mutations and continues her research work at the Center for Human Nutrition at UT Southwestern Medical Center to understand natural history and physiology of rare lipodystrophy syndromes.
- Medical School
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, India (2008)
- Miami Children's Hospital (2013), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2016), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Genetic Dyslipidemia
- Lipodystrophy Syndromes
- Progeria Syndromes
- Type 1 Hyperlipoproteinemia
- Congenital generalized lipodystrophies--new insights into metabolic dysfunction.
- Patni N, Garg A Nat Rev Endocrinol 2015 Sep 11 9 522-34
- Worsening hypertriglyceridemia with oral contraceptive pills in an adolescent with HIV-associated lipodystrophy: a case report and review of the literature.
- Patni N, Diaz EG, Cabral MD, Siqueira LM, Diaz A J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab. 2014 Nov 27 11-12 1247-51
- Elevated alpha-fetoprotein levels in Van Wyk-Grumbach syndrome: a case report and review of literature.
- Patni N, Cervantes LF, Diaz A J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab. 2012 25 7-8 761-7
- YouTube as a source of information on the H1N1 influenza pandemic.
- Pandey A, Patni N, Singh M, Sood A, Singh G Am J Prev Med 2010 Mar 38 3 e1-3
- Association of exclusive smokeless tobacco consumption with hypertension in an adult male rural population of India.
- Pandey A, Patni N, Sarangi S, Singh M, Sharma K, Vellimana AK, Patra S Tob Induc Dis 2009 5 15
- Assessment of risk and prophylaxis for deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism in medically ill patients during their early days of hospital stay at a tertiary care center in a developing country.
- Pandey A, Patni N, Singh M, Guleria R Vasc Health Risk Manag 2009 5 643-8
Cerebrotendinous Xanthomatosis. In Diagnosis and Treatment of Lipid Disorders in Children and Adolescents in www.endotext.org.
Patni N, Wilson D. (2016). South Dartmouth: MDText.com, Inc.
Genetics and Dyslipidemia. In Diagnosis and Treatment of Lipid Disorders in Children and Adolescents in www.endotext.org.
Patni N, Ahmad Z, Wilson D. (2016). South Dartmouth: MDText.com, Inc.
Honors & Awards
- Pediatric Endocrine Society Travel Award for Annual Meeting
- Endocrine Society Early Career Forum Travel Award for Annual Meeting
- Travel Award for Lipodystrophy meeting: Leptin and Beyond
- Pediatric Endocrine Society Travel Award for Lipodystrophy Diagnosis & Treatment Consensus Statement meeting
- Lipid Special Interest Group, Pediatric Endocrine Society (2018)
- National Lipid Association (2017)
- The Pediatric Endocrine Society (2014)
- Pediatric Endocrinologists of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas (2013)
- The Endocrine Society (2013)