Dr. Nivedita Patni received her medical degree from All-India Institute of Medical Sciences in India, and completed her pediatric residency at Miami Children’s Hospital before coming to UT Southwestern Medical Center for Pediatric Endocrinology fellowship. Her research interests are focused towards lipodystrophy and genetic dyslipidemias. She has described a novel syndrome of generalized lipodystrophy associated with pilocytic astrocytoma, which was recently published in Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. She continues her research work at the Center for Human Nutrition at UT Southwestern Medical Center to determine the etiology of this syndrome. She is also working on determining genetic basis of lipid disorders in children and investigating the genotype-phenotype relationships in these patients. She designed a study to determine Genetic Bases of type 1 hyperlipoproteinemia (T1HLP) and received a Service Package Grant from the Center for Translational Medicine at UTSW Medical Center, Dallas, Texas. She is also spearheading a clinical trial to evaluate the Efficacy of Orlistat for the Treatment of T1HLP.
- Medical School
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, India (2008)
- Miami Children's Hospital (2013), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2016), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Lipodystrophy syndromes
- Progeria syndromes
- Type 1 Hyperlipoproteinemia
- Bi-allelic POLR3A Loss-of-Function Variants Cause Autosomal-Recessive Wiedemann-Rautenstrauch Syndrome.
- Wambach JA, Wegner DJ, Patni N, Kircher M, Willing MC, Baldridge D, Xing C, Agarwal AK, Vergano SAS, Patel C, Grange DK, Kenney A, Najaf T, Nickerson DA, Bamshad MJ, Cole FS, Garg A Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2018 Dec 103 6 968-975
- Should children with chronic diarrhea be referred to a lipid clinic?
- Wilson DP, Patni N J Clin Lipidol 2018 Jun
- Orlistat Therapy for Children with Type 1 Hyperlipoproteinemia: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Patni N, Quittner C, Garg A J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2018 Apr
- The prevalence and etiology of extreme hypertriglyceridemia in children: Data from a tertiary children's hospital.
- Patni N, Li X, Adams-Huet B, Garg A J Clin Lipidol 2018 Jan
- A Novel Generalized Lipodystrophy-associated Progeroid Syndrome due to recurrent heterozygous LMNA p.T10I Mutation.
- Hussain I, Patni N, Ueda M, Sorkina E, Valerio CM, Cochran E, Brown RJ, Peeden J, Tikhonovich Y, Tiulpakov A, Stender SRS, Klouda E, Tayeh MK, Innis J, Meyer A, Lal P, Godoy-Matos AF, Teles MG, Adams-Huet B, Rader DJ, Hegele RA, Oral EA, Garg A J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2017 Dec
- Juvenile-onset generalized lipodystrophy due to a novel heterozygous missense LMNA mutation affecting lamin C.
- Patni N, Xing C, Agarwal AK, Garg A Am. J. Med. Genet. A 2017 Jul
- The Diagnosis and Management of Lipodystrophy Syndromes: A Multi-Society Practice Guideline.
- Brown RJ, Araujo-Vilar D, Cheung PT, Dunger D, Garg A, Jack M, Mungai L, Oral EA, Patni N, Rother K, von Schnurbein J, Sorkina E, Stanley T, Vigouroux C, Wabitsch M, Williams R, Yorifuji T J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2016 Oct jc20162466
- A 16-Year-Old Girl with Polyuria, Polydipsia, and a New-Onset Rash Around Her Elbows and Knees.
- Patni N, Burton A Pediatr Ann 2016 Sep 45 9 e317-8
- Type 1 hyperlipoproteinemia in a child with large homozygous deletion encompassing GPIHBP1.
- Patni N, Brothers J, Xing C, Garg A J Clin Lipidol 2016 Jul-Aug 10 4 1035-1039.e2
- A Novel Syndrome of Generalized Lipodystrophy Associated With Pilocytic Astrocytoma.
- Patni N, Alves C, von Schnurbein J, Wabitsch M, Tannin G, Rakheja D, Garg A J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2015 Oct 100 10 3603-6
Cerebrotendinous Xanthomatosis. In Diagnosis and Treatment of Lipid Disorders in Children and Adolescents in www.endotext.org.
Patni N, Wilson D. (2016). South Dartmouth: MDText.com, Inc.
Genetics and Dyslipidemia. In Diagnosis and Treatment of Lipid Disorders in Children and Adolescents in www.endotext.org.
Patni N, Ahmad Z, Wilson D. (2016). South Dartmouth: MDText.com, Inc.
Honors & Awards
- Pediatric Endocrine Society Travel Award for Annual Meeting
- Endocrine Society Early Career Forum Travel Award for Annual Meeting
- Travel Award for Lipodystrophy meeting: Leptin and Beyond
- Pediatric Endocrine Society Travel Award for Lipodystrophy Diagnosis & Treatment Consensus Statement meeting
- American Diabetes Association (2015)
- The Pediatric Endocrine Society (2014)
- Pediatric Endocrinologists of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas (2013)
- The Endocrine Society (2013)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2010)