Dr. Choi was born in Manhattan, Kansas but spent majority of her early education in South Korea. She came back to the U.S and received her BS in Health Sciences from Purdue University in Indiana, and then went on to medical school at Indiana University. She completed her hematology and medical oncology fellowship at UT Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW) where she developed a strong interest in general medical oncology and benign and malignant hematology. She decided to stay at UTSW because of her strong desire for academic excellence and enjoys interacting with medical students, residents and fellows. She mainly practices at the Dallas VA Medical Center where she provides clinical care in the hematology/oncology clinic, general medicine wards and hematology/oncology consult service. Outside of medicine, Dr. Choi enjoys spending time with her husband and two children, and traveling.
- Benign Hematology
- Breast Cancer
- Gastrointestinal Malignancies
- Coagulation Testing in a Bleeding Patient.
- Choi SH, Rambally S, Shen YM JAMA 2017 04 317 14 1479-1480
- Staging CT Scans in Early-Stage Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.
- Gupta A, Johnson DH, Choi SH JAMA Intern Med 2017 Mar
- Mixing Study for Evaluation of Abnormal Coagulation Testing.
- Choi SH, Rambally S, Shen YM JAMA 2016 Nov 316 20 2146-2147
Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Resident Teaching Award
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH (2011)
- Dr. Robert S. Schindler Fellowship in Medical Missions Award
Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN (2009)
- Association of VA Hematology/Oncology (2016)
- American Society of Hematology (2013)
- American Society of Oncology (2013)