Joseph T. Murphy, MD, is an Associate Professor of Surgery in the Division of Pediatric Surgery. Dr. Murphy obtained a BA degree in Biology at the State University of New York in Buffalo, a Master of Science in Biology at the University of Texas at Dallas and his MD from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He completed a General Surgery residency and CORE laboratory research fellowship at UT Southwestern before joining the Department of Surgery faculty as Assistant Professor in 1996. As a board-certified General Surgeon, he has extensive clinical experience in management of severe traumatic injury, thermal injury and critically ill patients during 11 years as Surgery faculty. He completed a Pediatric Surgery Fellowship at Children?s Medical Center, Dallas in 2007. Dr. Murphy currently has admitting and operating privileges at Children’s Medical Center, Parkland Memorial Hospital, St. Paul University Hospital and Zale-Lipshy University Hospital. He serves on the Children?s Medical Center Medical Advisory Board and Credentials Committee. Dr. Murphy’s current clinical research includes: investigation of outcomes in children requiring pre-hospital CPR resulting from traumatic injury; assessment of morbidity and mortality of iatrogenic and traumatic vascular injury and insufficiency in children; outcome of Puestow procedure for pancreatic disease in children; and examination of laparoscopic vs. open peritoneal dialysis catheter placement in children. He is an ad-hoc reviewer for several peer-review professional journals and has authored multiple articles, abstracts and book chapters examining the cardiopulmonary, inflammatory and molecular consequences of thermal injury and sepsis.
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University of Texas at Dallas (1985)
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1989)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1990), General Surgery
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), General Surgery
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Research
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2007), Pediatric Surgery
- Neonatal Surgery
- Pediatric Surgical Oncology
- Differential Activation of Coronary and Pulmonary Endothelial Cells by Thermal Injury
- Murphy JT, Duffy S, Purdue GF, Hunt JL Shock 2001 16 227-231
- Thrombin-Mediated Permeability of Human Microvascular Pulmonary Endothelial Cells is Calcium-Dependent
- Murphy JT, Duffy S, Hybki DL, Kamm K Journal of Trauma 2001 50 213-222
- Thermal Injury Alters the Endothelial Vasonconstrictor and Vasodilator Response to Endotoxin
- Murphy JT, Duffy S, Purdue GF, Hunt JL Journal of Trauma 1999 47 492-499
- Implications of Tumor Characteristics and Treatment Modality on Local Recurrence and Functional Outcomes in Children with Chest Wall Sarcoma: A Pediatric Surgical Oncology Research Collaborative Study.
- Harris CJ, Helenowski I, Murphy AJ, Mansfield SA, LaQuaglia MP, Heaton TE, Cavalli M, Murphy JT, Newman E, Overmen RE, Kartal TT, Cooke-Barber J, Donaher A, Malek MM, Kalsi R, Kim ES, Zobel MJ, Goodhue CJ, Naik-Mathuria BJ, Jefferson IN, Roach JP, Mata C, Piché N, Joharifard S, Sultan S, Short SS, Meyers RL, Bleicher J, Le HD, Janek K, Bütter A, Davidson J, Aldrink JH, Richards HW, Tracy ET, Commander SJ, Fialkowski EA, Troutt M, Dasgupta R, Lautz TB, Ann Surg 2020 Nov
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy for the treatment of pancreatic neoplasms in children: A Pediatric Surgical Oncology Research Collaborative study.
- Vasudevan SA, Ha TN, Zhu H, Heaton TE, LaQuaglia MP, Murphy JT, Barry WE, Goodhue C, Kim ES, Aldrink JH, Polites SF, Leraas HJ, Rice HE, Tracy ET, Lautz TB, Superina RA, Davidoff AM, Langham MR, Murphy AJ, Bütter A, Davidson J, Glick RD, Grijalva J, Gow KW, Ehrlich PF, Newman EA, Lal DR, Malek MM, Le-Nguyen A, Piché N, Rothstein DH, Short SS, Meyers R, Dasgupta R, Pediatr Blood Cancer 2020 Jul e28425
- In Utero Gunshot Wound to the Left Upper Extremity in a Preterm Infant.
- McClain LE, Mir IN, Kapadia VS, Murphy JT, Diesen DL, Am Surg 2019 Jun 85 6 e282-e283
- Diagnosis of Invasive Fungal Infection Among Pediatric Oncology Patients.
- Hodgman EI, Compton J, Qureshi FG, Murphy JT, J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 2019 May
- Female reproductive structures found in inguinal hernia sacs: A retrospective review.
- Zeng K, Murphy J, Wilson EE, J. Pediatr. Surg. 2019 Apr
- Puestow Procedure for the Management of Pediatric Chronic Pancreatitis.
- Hodgman E, Megison S, Murphy JT Eur J Pediatr Surg 2017 Dec
- Radiation exposure and safety practices during pediatric central line placement.
- Saeman MR, Burkhalter LS, Blackburn TJ, Murphy JT J. Pediatr. Surg. 2015 Mar
Honors & Awards
- Snyder-Laycock Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, UTSW Medical Center at Dallas
Teaching Award (2003)
- Excellence in Resident Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, UTSW Medical Center at Dallas
Teaching Award (2002)
- Young Investigator Award Finalist: Shock Society
Eighteenth Annual Conference on Shock (1995)
- Academic Excellence Award, Department of Surgery, UTSW Medical Center at Dallas
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- American College of Surgeons: Fellow 1998
- American Pediatric Surgery Association
- Association for Academic Surgery
- Society of University Surgeons