Maude Carmel, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Urology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She specializes in female urology, pelvic floor reconstructive surgery, robotic surgery, pelvic organ prolapse, incontinence, and voiding dysfunction.
She has been the Program Director of the Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship since 2019.
Dr. Carmel earned her medical degree in Canada at Université de Sherbrooke, Quebec. She completed her residency in urology at both Université de Sherbrooke and McGill University. She completed her fellowship in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio.
Her research interests include robotic surgeries for pelvic organ prolapse, stress urinary incontinence surgeries, treatment of vaginal mesh complications, resident medical education, and surgical techniques for vesico-vaginal fistula repairs.
Dr. Carmel is board certified in both Urology and Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery by the American Board of Urology. She is also board certified in Urology by the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada.
She is a member of the American Urological Association and the Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine and Urogenital Reconstruction. She is also a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada.
Dr. Carmel was selected by her peers to Texas Monthly's Super Doctors list for 2014 and 2015 and to the Texas Rising Stars list for three consecutive years (2015-2017).
- Medical School
- Universite de Sherbrooke (2006), Medicine
- Universite de Sherbrooke (2009), Urology
- McGill University Faculty of Medicine (2011), Urology
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (2013), Urology
- Domain Comparison Between 6 Validated Questionnaires Administered to Women with Urinary Incontinence.
- Malik RD, Hess DS, Christie A, Carmel ME, Zimmern PE, Urology 2019 Jul
- Prospective Evaluation of Urodynamic Utility in a Subspecialty Tertiary Practice.
- Malik RD, Hess DS, Carmel ME, Lemack GE, Zimmern PE Urology 2019 Jan
- Standing cough test for evaluation of post-prostatectomy incontinence: a pilot study.
- Morey AF, Singla N, Carmel M, Klein A, Tausch TJ, Siegel J, Tachibana I, Scott J Can J Urol 2017 Feb 24 1 8664-8669
- Definition of Success after Surgery for Female Stress Incontinence or Voiding Dysfunction: An Attempt at Standardization.
- Carmel ME, Deng DY, Greenwell TJ, Zimmern PE Eur Urol Focus 2016 Aug 2 3 231-237
- Postoperative Imaging after Surgical Repair for Pelvic Floor Dysfunction.
- Khatri G, Carmel ME, Bailey AA, Foreman MR, Brewington CC, Zimmern PE, Pedrosa I Radiographics 2016 Jul-Aug 36 4 1233-56
- Urodynamics findings in transverse myelitis patients with lower urinary tract symptoms: Results from a tertiary referral urodynamic center.
- Gliga LA, Lavelle RS, Christie AL, Coskun B, Greenberg BM, Carmel ME, Lemack GE Neurourol. Urodyn. 2015 Nov
- Change in Overactive Bladder Symptoms After Surgery for Stress Urinary Incontinence in Women.
- Zyczynski HM, Albo ME, Goldman HB, Wai CY, Sirls LT, Brubaker L, Norton P, Varner RE, Carmel M, Kim HY Obstet Gynecol 2015 Aug 126 2 423-30
- Transvaginal neobladder vaginal fistula repair after radical cystectomy with orthotopic urinary diversion in women.
- Carmel ME, Goldman HB, Moore CK, Rackley RR, Vasavada SP Neurourol. Urodyn. 2014 Oct
- Patterns of hardware related electrode failures in sacral nerve stimulation devices.
- Lenis AT, Gill BC, Carmel ME, Rajki M, Moore CK, Vasavada SP, Goldman HB, Rackley RR J. Urol. 2013 Jul 190 1 175-9
- Expression and role of the angiotensin II AT2 receptor in human prostate tissue: in search of a new therapeutic option for prostate cancer.
- Guimond MO, Battista MC, Nikjouitavabi F, Carmel M, Barres V, Doueik AA, Fazli L, Gleave M, Sabbagh R, Gallo-Payet N Prostate 2013 Jul 73 10 1057-68
Honors & Awards
- Super Doctors 2017 Texas Rising Stars
Texas Monthly Magazine (2017-2017)
- Super Doctors 2016 Texas Rising Stars
Texas Monthly Magazine (2016-2016)
- Super Doctors 2015 Texas Rising Stars
Texas Monthly Magazine (2015-2015)
- 1st Place in Clinical research presentation
Quebec Urological Association (2012-2012)
- Fellowship Scholarship
The Foundation of the Quebec Urological Association (2012-2012)
- Frank McGill Travel Fellowship Award
The Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre (2011-2011)
- 2nd Place in Basic science research presentation
Quebec Urological Association (2008-2008)
- 2nd Place in Clinical research presentation
Quebec Urological Association (2007-2007)