Dr. Suntrea Hammer received her Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan. She completed additional training in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, as well as focused fellowship training in general surgical pathology and gastrointestinal and liver pathology at the University of Michigan. Her practice focuses on neoplastic and inflammatory pathology with an emphasis on the liver and the gastrointestinal tract.
Her research interests include neuroendocrine tumors of the gastrointestinal tract, neoplasms of the liver and gastrointestinal and pancreatobiliary tracts, quality improvement, and medical education.
- Medical School
- University of Michigan Medical School (2007)
- University of Michigan Health System (2011), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- University of Michigan Health System (2012), Surgical Pathology
- University of Michigan Health System (2013), Gastroenterology & Liver Diseases
- Anal neoplasia
- Gastroesophageal neoplasia
- Hepatobiliary disease
- Inflammatory gastrointestinal disorders
- Neuroendocrine tumors
- Pancreatic diseases
- Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Clinical and Histopathologic Features Can Help Target Immunohistochemical Stain Use in the Diagnosis of Viral Esophagitis.
- Desai N, Albahra S, Lucas E, Singal AG, Hammer STG, Gopal P, Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 2021 Aug
- Metastases can occur in cirrhotic livers with patent portal veins.
- Mahdi Z, Ettel MG, Gonzalez RS, Hart J, Alpert L, Fang J, Liu N, Hammer ST, Panarelli N, Cheng J, Greenson JK, Swanson PE, Westerhoff M, Diagn Pathol 2021 Feb 16 1 18
- Reproducibility of AJCC Criteria for Classifying Deeply Invasive Colon Cancers Is Suboptimal for Consistent Cancer Staging.
- Panarelli NC, Hammer STG, Lin J, Gopal P, Nalbantoglu I, Zhou L, Cheng J, Gersten AJ, McHugh JB, Parkash V, Lucas E, Westerhoff M, Am J Surg Pathol 2020 10 44 10 1381-1388
- Hispanic/Latino Patients with Gastric Adenocarcinoma Have Distinct Molecular Profiles Including a High Rate of Germline CDH1 Variants.
- Wang SC, Yeu Y, Hammer STG, Xiao S, Zhu M, Hong C, Clemenceau JR, Yoon LY, Nassour I, Shen J, Agarwal D, Reznik SI, Mansour JC, Yopp AC, Zhu H, Hwang TH, Porembka MR, Cancer Res 2020 06 80 11 2114-2124
- When Phenotype Does Not Match Genotype-The Importance of Returning to the Raw Data.
- Wachsmann MB, Verma UN, Arriaga YE, Hammer ST, Oliver D, J Appl Lab Med 2019 11 4 3 446-450
- Assessment of circularized E7 RNA, GLUT1, and PD-L1 in anal squamous cell carcinoma.
- Chamseddin BH, Lee EE, Kim J, Zhan X, Yang R, Murphy KM, Lewis C, Hosler GA, Hammer ST, Wang RC, Oncotarget 2019 Oct 10 57 5958-5969
- Lymphocytic esophagitis: an update on histologic diagnosis, endoscopic findings, and natural history.
- Patil DT, Hammer S, Langer R, Yantiss RK Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 2018 Dec 1434 1 185-191
- Novel Application of Extracorporeal Photopheresis as Treatment of Graft-versus-Host Disease Following Liver Transplantation.
- Brown TJ, Gentry C, Hammer ST, Hwang CS, Vusirikala M, Patel PA, Matevosyan K, Tujios SR, Mufti AR, Collins RH ACG Case Rep J 2017 4 e48
- Esterase-activatable ß-lapachone prodrug micelles for NQO1-targeted lung cancer therapy.
- Ma X, Huang X, Moore Z, Huang G, Kilgore JA, Wang Y, Hammer S, Williams NS, Boothman DA, Gao J J Control Release 2015 Feb 200C 201-211
- Beyond acute appendicitis: imaging and pathologic spectrum of appendiceal pathology.
- Gaetke-Udager K, Maturen KE, Hammer SG Emerg Radiol 2014 Oct 21 5 535-42
Diagnostic Pathology: Gastrointestinal 2nd ed.
Joel K. Greenson, Gregory Lauwers, Elizabeth Montgomery, Scott Owens, Alexandros Polydorides, Amitabh Srivastava (Ed.) (2016). Philadelphia, Elsevier
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2021)
- Texas Cancer Registry (2021)
- Pancreatobiliary Society (2014)
- Texas Society of Pathologists (2014)
- Gastrointestinal Pathology Society (2013)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2011)
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists (2007)
- College of American Pathologists (2007)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (2007)