In 2014, Dr. Harris-Tryon joined the Department of Dermatology at UTSW and returned to the bench as a postdoctoral fellow in the lab of Dr. Lora Hooper, an internationally recognized leader in mechanistic studies of the host /microbe interface. Dr. Harris-Tryon expanded the focus of the lab to include skin. Though insight has been gained into what organisms reside on the surface of the skin, little is known about how these organisms – collectively termed the “microbiota” – impact the immune system. The long-term goal of this work is to understand how the microbiota regulate skin immunity.
Dr. Harris-Tryon is a magna cum laude alumna of Haverford College in Pennsylvania. After completing her undergraduate studies she entered the Johns Hopkins University’s Medical Scientist Training Program. She completed her graduate training in the lab of Charles Lowenstein M.D. and her work linked the expression of an endothelial microRNA play to vascular inflammation.
- Medical School
- Johns Hopkins University (2010), Cellular & Moleculary Medicine
- University of Maryland Medical Center (2011), Internal Medicine
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2014), Dermatology
- Host-microbial interactions
- Innate Immunity
- Resistin-like Molecule a Provides Vitamin-A-Dependent Antimicrobial Protection in the Skin.
- Harris TA, Gattu S, Propheter DC, Kuang Z, Bel S, Ruhn KA, Chara AL, Edwards M, Zhang C, Jo JH, Raj P, Zouboulis CC, Kong HH, Segre JA, Hooper LV, Cell Host Microbe 2019 Jun 25 6 777-788.e8
- MicroRNA-126 regulates endothelial expression of vascular cell adhesion molecule 1.
- Harris TA, Yamakuchi M, Ferlito M, Mendell JT, Lowenstein CJ Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2008 Feb 105 5 1516-21
- A Staphylococcus Path to Improved Therapeutics in Atopic Dermatitis.
- Harris-Tryon TA, Bel S, JAMA Dermatol 2021 Jun
- Supporting women in academia during and after a global pandemic.
- Reese TA, Harris-Tryon TA, Gill JG, Banaszynski LA, Sci Adv 2021 Feb 7 9
- Illuminating the Role of Vitamin A in Skin Innate Immunity and the Skin Microbiome: A Narrative Review.
- Roche FC, Harris-Tryon TA, Nutrients 2021 Jan 13 2
- Knowledge and attitude toward the human microbiome: A single-center cross-sectional survey.
- Pineider J, Reisch J, Harris-Tryon T, Savory S, J Am Acad Dermatol 2021 Jan
- Chronological Aging in African-American Skin: A Reliable Photonumeric Scale Demonstrates Age and Body Mass Index as Contributing Factors.
- Chien AL, Qi J, Grandhi R, Harris-Tryon T, Kim N, Jang MS, Olowoyeye O, Kuhn D, Leung S, Rainer BM, Poon F, César SSA, Suh J, Cheng N, Okoye GA, Kang S J Natl Med Assoc 2018 Feb
- Resistin-like molecule ß is a bactericidal protein that promotes spatial segregation of the microbiota and the colonic epithelium.
- Propheter DC, Chara AL, Harris TA, Ruhn KA, Hooper LV Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2017 Oct 114 42 11027-11033
- Effect of Age, Gender, and Sun Exposure on Ethnic Skin Photoaging: Evidence Gathered Using a New Photonumeric Scale
- Chien AC, Qi J, Grandhi R, Kim N, Alessi Cesar SS, Harris-Tryon TA, Jang MS, Olowoyeye O, Kuhn D, Leung S, Rainer BM, Poon F, Suh J, Cheng N, Okoye GA, Kang S Journal of the National Medical Association 2017
- Ets-1 and Ets-2 regulate the expression of microRNA-126 in endothelial cells
- Harris TA, Yamakuchi M, Kondo M, Oettgen P, Lowenstein CJ 2010
Honors & Awards
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Career Award for Medical Scientists
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund-Post doctoral enrichment grant recipient
Microbiota-immune system interactions in the skin
- Dermatology Foundation Career Development Award
- Fellowship for Women in Dermatologic Research- American Fellow
Sponsered by Lilly & Co and the Womens Dermatologic Society
- Judy Warson Award for Clinical Excellence
Johns Hopkins Department of Dermatology
- National Medical Association (2016)
- UT Southwestern-Gotcha Covered Mentorship Program (2016)
- Society of Investigative Dermatology (2013)
- Womens Dermatological Society (2013)
- American Academy of Dermatology (2011)