Chinemerem Okwara, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Chinemerem Okwara, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases.
Dr. Okwara holds a bachelor of science degree from the University of Texas at Dallas. He earned his medical degree at the University of Texas Health and Sciences Center in San Antonio. He completed internal medicine residency training at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He then completed advanced training through a fellowship in gastroenterology at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in gastroenterology, Dr. Okwara joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2020.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Okwara works as a "Gotcha Covered Mentor", a mentor for an incoming minority medical student with direct mentorship guidance and meetings, as well as career goals and progression. He is also a member of the EASy Nutrition Committee Program and the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee.
Dr. Okwara is a member of the American College of Gastroenterology and the American Gastroenterological Association
When Dr. Okwara is not at work, he enjoys spending time with his growing family and friends. Dr. Okwara enjoys playing basketball, learning to play tennis, and traveling.
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center at San Antonio (2013)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2016), Internal Medicine
- University of New Mexico School of Medicine (2019), Gastroenterology/hepatology
- Liver Abscess: A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing.
- Paleti S, Li Y, Okwara C, McCarthy D, Dig. Dis. Sci. 2020 Aug 65 8 2221-2224
- A Holistic Approach to Diagnosing and Treating Dysphagia.
- Colom Steele D, Okwara C, McCarthy D, Dig. Dis. Sci. 2020 04 65 4 957-960
- As the Worm Turns: A Globally Prevalent Cause of Chronic Diarrhea.
- Paleti S, Memon J, Okwara C, Hanson J, McCarthy D, Dig. Dis. Sci. 2020 01 65 1 74-77
- Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding of Unusual Causation.
- Okwara CJ, Gulati R, Rustagi T, Birg A, Hanson J, McCarthy D, Dig. Dis. Sci. 2018 10 63 10 2541-2546
- Jaundice: A Thyroid Problem?
- Okwara CJ, Mojtahed A, Gavin M, Hanson J, McCarthy D, Dig. Dis. Sci. 2017 Aug 62 8 1901-1905
- Secondary Aortoesophageal Fistula Associated With Aneurysmal Graft Infection by Coxiella burnetii.
- Okwara CJ, Petrasek J, Gibson M, Burstein E, ACG Case Rep J 2016 Apr 3 3 169-71
- Helicobacter pylori Clarithromycin Resistance and Treatment Failure Are Common in the USA.
- Park JY, Dunbar KB, Mitui M, Arnold CA, Lam-Himlin DM, Valasek MA, Thung I, Okwara C, Coss E, Cryer B, Doern CD Dig. Dis. Sci. 2016 Feb
- IMAGES IN CLINICAL MEDICINE. Achalasia with Megaesophagus.
- Okwara C, Cangemi D, N. Engl. J. Med. 2015 Dec 373 25 e30
- Sevelamer-Induced Colitis Presenting as a Pseudotumor.
- Okwara C, Choi C, Park J Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2015 Feb
- Hepatic Dysfunction as a Paraneoplastic Manifestation of Metastatic Prostate Adenocarcinoma.
- Kato D, Okwara C, Moreland C, Parker A, J Investig Med High Impact Case Rep 2014 Apr-Jun 2 2 2324709614539927
- American College of Gastroenterology (2017)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2017)