Evan Nair-Gill, M.D., Ph.D.
Department Center for Genetics of Host Defense | Internal Medicine
Graduate Programs Immunology
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Dr. Evan Nair-Gill grew up in Madison, Wisconsin. He received his B.S. in biological chemistry from the University of Chicago and earned his M.D. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of California, Los Angeles. He completed his Ph.D. thesis in Dr. Owen Witte’s lab where he studied immune cell metabolism to develop imaging probes for non-invasive measurements of immune function. Evan moved to Dallas in 2013 to complete internal medicine residency and rheumatology fellowship at UT Southwestern. During fellowship, he worked in Dr. Bruce Beutler’s lab where he investigated the cellular mechanisms that control lymphocyte quiescence.
The Nair-Gill lab was established within the Center for the Genetics of Host Defense in 2021 with support from the Rheumatology Research Foundation, the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and the UT Southwestern Disease Oriented Clinical Scholar Award.
- Medical School
- UCLA School of Medicine (2013)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2015), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2018), Rheumatology
- Cell competition in the hematopoietic system
- Lymphocyte quiescence and survival
- Lymphocyte signaling in autoimmunity and lymphoid malignancies
- RNPS1 inhibits excessive tumor necrosis factor/tumor necrosis factor receptor signaling to support hematopoiesis in mice.
- Zhong X, Choi JH, Hildebrand S, Ludwig S, Wang J, Nair-Gill E, Liao TC, Moresco JJ, Liu A, Quan J, Sun Q, Zhang D, Zhan X, Choi M, Li X, Wang J, Gallagher T, Moresco EMY, Beutler B, Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2022 May 119 18 e2200128119
- Thousands of induced germline mutations affecting immune cells identified by automated meiotic mapping coupled with machine learning.
- Xu D, Lyon S, Bu CH, Hildebrand S, Choi JH, Zhong X, Liu A, Turer EE, Zhang Z, Russell J, Ludwig S, Mahrt E, Nair-Gill E, Shi H, Wang Y, Zhang D, Yue T, Wang KW, SoRelle JA, Su L, Misawa T, McAlpine W, Sun L, Wang J, Zhan X, Choi M, Farokhnia R, Sakla A, Schneider S, Coco H, Coolbaugh G, Hayse B, Mazal S, Medler D, Nguyen B, Rodriguez E, Wadley A, Tang M, Li X, Anderton P, Keller K, Press A, Scott L, Quan J, Cooper S, Collie T, Qin B, Cardin J, Simpson R, Tadesse M, Sun Q, Wise CA, Rios JJ, Moresco EMY, Beutler B, Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2021 Jul 118 28
- Calcium flux control by Pacs1-Wdr37 promotes lymphocyte quiescence and lymphoproliferative diseases.
- Nair-Gill E, Bonora M, Zhong X, Liu A, Miranda A, Stewart N, Ludwig S, Russell J, Gallagher T, Pinton P, Beutler B, EMBO J 2021 Feb e104888
- Adenosine monophosphate deaminase 3 null mutation causes reduction of naive T cells in mouse peripheral blood.
- Zhan X, Zhong X, Choi JH, Su L, Wang J, Nair-Gill E, Anderton P, Li X, Tang M, Russell J, Ludwig S, Gallagher T, Beutler B, Blood Adv 2020 Aug 4 15 3594-3605
- Genetic and structural studies of RABL3 reveal an essential role in lymphoid development and function.
- Zhong X, Su L, Yang Y, Nair-Gill E, Tang M, Anderton P, Li X, Wang J, Zhan X, Tomchick DR, Brautigam CA, Moresco EMY, Choi JH, Beutler B, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2020 Mar
- Mutual inhibition between Prkd2 and Bcl6 controls T follicular helper cell differentiation.
- Misawa T, SoRelle JA, Choi JH, Yue T, Wang KW, McAlpine W, Wang J, Liu A, Tabeta K, Turer EE, Evers B, Nair-Gill E, Poddar S, Su L, Ou F, Yu L, Russell J, Ludwig S, Zhan X, Hildebrand S, Li X, Tang M, Murray AR, Moresco EMY, Beutler B, Sci Immunol 2020 Jan 5 43
- Syndromic immune disorder caused by a viable hypomorphic allele of spliceosome component Snrnp40.
- Zhang D, Yue T, Choi JH, Nair-Gill E, Zhong X, Wang KW, Zhan X, Li X, Choi M, Tang M, Quan J, Hildebrand S, Moresco EMY, Beutler B, Nat. Immunol. 2019 Aug
- LMBR1L regulates lymphopoiesis through Wnt/?-catenin signaling.
- Choi JH, Zhong X, McAlpine W, Liao TC, Zhang D, Fang B, Russell J, Ludwig S, Nair-Gill E, Zhang Z, Wang KW, Misawa T, Zhan X, Choi M, Wang T, Li X, Tang M, Sun Q, Yu L, Murray AR, Moresco EMY, Beutler B, Science 2019 05 364 6440
- Positron emission tomography probe demonstrates a striking concentration of ribose salvage in the liver.
- Clark PM, Flores G, Evdokimov NM, McCracken MN, Chai T, Nair-Gill E, O'Mahony F, Beaven SW, Faull KF, Phelps ME, Jung ME, Witte ON Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Jun
- Deoxycytidine kinase augments ATM-Mediated DNA repair and contributes to radiation resistance.
- Bunimovich YL, Nair-Gill E, Riedinger M, McCracken MN, Cheng D, McLaughlin J, Radu CG, Witte ON, PLoS One 2014 9 8 e104125
Honors & Awards
- Disease Oriented Clinical Scholars (DOCS) Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2021)
- Tobe and Stephen Malawista Endowed Fellowship in Academic Rheumatology
The Rheumatology Research Foundation (2018-2021)
- Emil Bogan Award for Graduate Research
UC-Los Angeles (2013)
- Paul and Hisako Terasaki Endowed Fellowship
UC-Los Angeles (2011)