Stanford University, Stanford, CA A.B. 1963 Psychology Stanford Medical School, Stanford, CA M.D. 1967 Medicine Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 1967-1969 Internal Medicine National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 1969-1973 Genetics A. Positions and Honors. 1963-1967 Predoctoral Trainee PHS, Dept of Genetics, Stanford Medical School (Dr. L. Herzenberg) 1967-1969 Internship and Residency, Dept of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hosp, Boston, MA 1969-1973 Res Assoc, Lab. of Biochemical Genetics (LBG), NHLBI, NIH (Dr. Marshall Nirenberg) 1973-1975 Head, Section on Somatic Cell Genetics, LBG, NHLBI, NIH 1974-1991 Attending Physician, Clinical Center, NIH 1975-1981 Chief, NCI-VA Medical Oncology Branch, Clinical Oncology Program, DCT, NCI, NIH 1981-1991 Chief, NCI-Navy Medical Oncology Branch, COP, DCT, NCI, NIH 1981-1991 Prof of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 1969-1991 United States Public Health Service (PHS); Captain (06); Retired 1991 1991-Pres. Prof of Medicine & Pharmacology, UT Southwestern Medical Center Dallas (UTSWMC) 1991-1995 Director, Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center, UTSWMC, Lisa K. Simmon Distinguished Chair in Comprehensive Oncology, Chief, Division of Medical Oncology/Hematology 1995-Pres. Director, Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology Research and W.A. "Tex" & Deborah Moncrief Jr. Center for Cancer Genetics, UTSWMC, Sarah M. & Charles E. Seay Distinguished Chair in Cancer Research, Max L. Thomas Distinguished Chair in Molecular Pulmonary Oncology Honors PHS: Commendation Medal (1979), Meritorious Service Medical (1986), Unit Commendation Medal (1991); Rosenthal Prize for Cancer Research (1984); Milken Foundation Award for Scientific Excellence in Clinical Research (1989); Chester Stock Award, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (1992); Bristol Myers Squibb Award for Lung Cancer Research (1997); Moran Award Univ. Michigan (2000), NCI SPORE Program Award for Leadership (2003), Ochsner Award Smoking Related Research (2004), ASCO Scientific Achievement Award (2005), ASCO Lifetime Achievement Award (2007) B. Selected peer-reviewed publications (2006-2007). Sato, M., Vaughan, M. B., Girard, L., Peyton, M., Lee, W., Shames, D. S., Ramirez, R. D., Sunaga, N., Gazdar, A. F., Shay, J. W., and Minna, J. D. Multiple Oncogenic Changes (K-RASV12, p53 Knockdown, Mutant EGFRs, p16 Bypass, Telomerase) Are Not Sufficient to Confer a Full Malignant Phenotype on Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells. Cancer Res, 66: 2116-2128, 2006. Zhou, B. B., Peyton, M., He, B., Liu, C., Girard, L., Caudler, E., Lo, Y., Baribaud, F., Mikami, I., Reguart, N., Yang, G., Li, Y., Yao, W., Vaddi, K., Gazdar, A. F., Friedman, S. M., Jablons, D. M., Newton, R. C., Fridman, J. S., Minna, J. D., and Scherle, P. A. Targeting ADAM-mediated ligand cleavage to inhibit HER3 and EGFR pathways in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Cell, 10: 39-50, 2006. Deng, W. G., Kawashima, H., Wu, G., Jayachandran, G., Xu, K., Minna, J. D., Roth, J. A., and Ji, L. Synergistic tumor suppression by coexpression of FUS1 and p53 is associated with down-regulation of murine double minute-2 and activation of the apoptotic protease-activating factor 1-dependent apoptotic pathway in human non-small cell lung cancer cells. Cancer Res, 67: 709-717, 2007. Lam, D. C., Girard, L., Ramirez, R., Chau, W. S., Suen, W. S., Sheridan, S., Tin, V. P., Chung, L. P., Wong, M. P., Shay, J. W., Gazdar, A. F., Lam, W. K., and Minna, J. D. Expression of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit genes in non-small-cell lung cancer reveals differences between smokers and nonsmokers. Cancer Res, 67: 4638-4647, 2007. Whitehurst, A. W., Bodemann, B. O., Cardenas, J., Ferguson, D., Girard, L., Peyton, M., Minna, J. D., Michnoff, C., Hao, W., Roth, M. G., Xie, X. J., and White, M. A. Synthetic lethal screen identification of chemosensitizer loci in cancer cells. Nature, 446: 815-819, 2007.
- Medical School
- Stanford University Medical Center (1967)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1968), Medicine
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1969), Medicine
- National Institutes of Health (1973), Biochemical Genetics
- Breast Cancer
- Genome wide mRNA, protein, and DNA analysis
- Lung Cancer
- Molecular biomarkers of response to cancer therapy
- Molecular pathogenesis of human cancer
- Non-malignant respiratory epithelial cells preferentially proliferate from resected non-small cell lung cancer specimens cultured under conditionally reprogrammed conditions.
- Gao B, Huang C, Kernstine K, Pelekanou V, Kluger Y, Jiang T, Peters-Hall JR, Coquelin M, Girard L, Zhang W, Huffman K, Oliver D, Kinose F, Haura E, Teer JK, Rix U, Le AT, Aisner DL, Varella-Garcia M, Doebele RC, Covington KR, Hampton OA, Doddapaneni HV, Jayaseelan JC, Hu J, Wheeler DA, Shay JW, Rimm DL, Gazdar A, Minna JD Oncotarget 2016 Dec
- PROTOCADHERIN 7 Acts through SET and PP2A to Potentiate MAPK Signaling by EGFR and KRAS during Lung Tumorigenesis.
- Zhou X, Updegraff BL, Guo Y, Peyton M, Girard L, Larsen JE, Xie XJ, Zhou Y, Hwang TH, Xie Y, Rodriguez-Canales J, Villalobos P, Behrens C, Wistuba II, Minna JD, O'Donnell KA Cancer Res. 2016 Nov
- Developing New, Rational Therapies for Recalcitrant Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Gazdar AF, Minna JD J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2016 Oct 108 10
- ZEB1 drives epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in lung cancer.
- Larsen JE, Nathan V, Osborne JK, Farrow RK, Deb D, Sullivan JP, Dospoy PD, Augustyn A, Hight SK, Sato M, Girard L, Behrens C, Wistuba II, Gazdar AF, Hayward NK, Minna JD J. Clin. Invest. 2016 Sep 126 9 3219-3235
- XPO1-dependent nuclear export is a druggable vulnerability in KRAS-mutant lung cancer.
- Kim J, McMillan E, Kim HS, Venkateswaran N, Makkar G, Rodriguez-Canales J, Villalobos P, Neggers JE, Mendiratta S, Wei S, Landesman Y, Senapedis W, Baloglu E, Chow CB, Frink RE, Gao B, Roth M, Minna JD, Daelemans D, Wistuba II, Posner BA, Scaglioni PP, White MA Nature 2016 Sep 538 7623 114-117
- Functional polyesters enable selective siRNA delivery to lung cancer over matched normal cells.
- Yan Y, Liu L, Xiong H, Miller JB, Zhou K, Kos P, Huffman KE, Elkassih S, Norman JW, Carstens R, Kim J, Minna JD, Siegwart DJ Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2016 Sep 113 39 E5702-10
- Developing EZH2-Targeted Therapy for Lung Cancer.
- Frankel AE, Liu X, Minna JD Cancer Discov 2016 Sep 6 9 949-52
- Fatty Acid Oxidation Mediated by Acyl-CoA Synthetase Long Chain 3 Is Required for Mutant KRAS Lung Tumorigenesis.
- Padanad MS, Konstantinidou G, Venkateswaran N, Melegari M, Rindhe S, Mitsche M, Yang C, Batten K, Huffman KE, Liu J, Tang X, Rodriguez-Canales J, Kalhor N, Shay JW, Minna JD, McDonald J, Wistuba II, DeBerardinis RJ, Scaglioni PP Cell Rep 2016 Aug 16 6 1614-28
- ASCL1 and NEUROD1 Reveal Heterogeneity in Pulmonary Neuroendocrine Tumors and Regulate Distinct Genetic Programs.
- Borromeo MD, Savage TK, Kollipara RK, He M, Augustyn A, Osborne JK, Girard L, Minna JD, Gazdar AF, Cobb MH, Johnson JE Cell Rep 2016 Jul
- Opening a Chromatin Gate to Metastasis.
- Minna JD, Johnson JE Cell 2016 Jul 166 2 275-6
Honors & Awards
- ASCO Award
- ASCO Award
Lifetime Scientific Achievement (2005)
- Ochsner Award
Award for Smoking Related Research (2004)
- Bristol Myers Squibb Award
Award for Lung Cancer Research (1997)
- Rosenthal Prize
Prize for Cancer Research (1984)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- ASBMB, ASCI, AFCR, ASH, IASLC
- Association of American Physicians (AAP)
- Fellow American College of Physicians (FACP)