Stanford University, Stanford, CA A.B. 1963 Psychology Stanford Medical School, Stanford, CA M.D. 1967 Medicine Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 1967-1969 Internal Medicine National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 1969-1973 Genetics A. Positions and Honors. 1963-1967 Predoctoral Trainee PHS, Dept of Genetics, Stanford Medical School (Dr. L. Herzenberg) 1967-1969 Internship and Residency, Dept of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hosp, Boston, MA 1969-1973 Res Assoc, Lab. of Biochemical Genetics (LBG), NHLBI, NIH (Dr. Marshall Nirenberg) 1973-1975 Head, Section on Somatic Cell Genetics, LBG, NHLBI, NIH 1974-1991 Attending Physician, Clinical Center, NIH 1975-1981 Chief, NCI-VA Medical Oncology Branch, Clinical Oncology Program, DCT, NCI, NIH 1981-1991 Chief, NCI-Navy Medical Oncology Branch, COP, DCT, NCI, NIH 1981-1991 Prof of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 1969-1991 United States Public Health Service (PHS); Captain (06); Retired 1991 1991-Pres. Prof of Medicine & Pharmacology, UT Southwestern Medical Center Dallas (UTSWMC) 1991-1995 Director, Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center, UTSWMC, Lisa K. Simmon Distinguished Chair in Comprehensive Oncology, Chief, Division of Medical Oncology/Hematology 1995-Pres. Director, Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology Research and W.A. "Tex" & Deborah Moncrief Jr. Center for Cancer Genetics, UTSWMC, Sarah M. & Charles E. Seay Distinguished Chair in Cancer Research, Max L. Thomas Distinguished Chair in Molecular Pulmonary Oncology Honors PHS: Commendation Medal (1979), Meritorious Service Medical (1986), Unit Commendation Medal (1991); Rosenthal Prize for Cancer Research (1984); Milken Foundation Award for Scientific Excellence in Clinical Research (1989); Chester Stock Award, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (1992); Bristol Myers Squibb Award for Lung Cancer Research (1997); Moran Award Univ. Michigan (2000), NCI SPORE Program Award for Leadership (2003), Ochsner Award Smoking Related Research (2004), ASCO Scientific Achievement Award (2005), ASCO Lifetime Achievement Award (2007) B. Selected peer-reviewed publications (2006-2007). Sato, M., Vaughan, M. B., Girard, L., Peyton, M., Lee, W., Shames, D. S., Ramirez, R. D., Sunaga, N., Gazdar, A. F., Shay, J. W., and Minna, J. D. Multiple Oncogenic Changes (K-RASV12, p53 Knockdown, Mutant EGFRs, p16 Bypass, Telomerase) Are Not Sufficient to Confer a Full Malignant Phenotype on Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells. Cancer Res, 66: 2116-2128, 2006. Zhou, B. B., Peyton, M., He, B., Liu, C., Girard, L., Caudler, E., Lo, Y., Baribaud, F., Mikami, I., Reguart, N., Yang, G., Li, Y., Yao, W., Vaddi, K., Gazdar, A. F., Friedman, S. M., Jablons, D. M., Newton, R. C., Fridman, J. S., Minna, J. D., and Scherle, P. A. Targeting ADAM-mediated ligand cleavage to inhibit HER3 and EGFR pathways in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Cell, 10: 39-50, 2006. Deng, W. G., Kawashima, H., Wu, G., Jayachandran, G., Xu, K., Minna, J. D., Roth, J. A., and Ji, L. Synergistic tumor suppression by coexpression of FUS1 and p53 is associated with down-regulation of murine double minute-2 and activation of the apoptotic protease-activating factor 1-dependent apoptotic pathway in human non-small cell lung cancer cells. Cancer Res, 67: 709-717, 2007. Lam, D. C., Girard, L., Ramirez, R., Chau, W. S., Suen, W. S., Sheridan, S., Tin, V. P., Chung, L. P., Wong, M. P., Shay, J. W., Gazdar, A. F., Lam, W. K., and Minna, J. D. Expression of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit genes in non-small-cell lung cancer reveals differences between smokers and nonsmokers. Cancer Res, 67: 4638-4647, 2007. Whitehurst, A. W., Bodemann, B. O., Cardenas, J., Ferguson, D., Girard, L., Peyton, M., Minna, J. D., Michnoff, C., Hao, W., Roth, M. G., Xie, X. J., and White, M. A. Synthetic lethal screen identification of chemosensitizer loci in cancer cells. Nature, 446: 815-819, 2007.
- Medical School
- Stanford University Medical Center (1967)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1968), Medicine
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1969), Medicine
- National Institutes of Health (1973), Biochemical Genetics
- Breast Cancer
- Genome wide mRNA, protein, and DNA analysis
- Lung Cancer
- Molecular biomarkers of response to cancer therapy
- Molecular pathogenesis of human cancer
- MFSD2A is a novel lung tumor suppressor gene modulating cell cycle and matrix attachment.
- Spinola M, Falvella FS, Colombo F, Sullivan JP, Shames DS, Girard L, Spessotto P, Minna JD, Dragani TA Mol. Cancer 2010 9 62
- Nuclear receptor expression defines a set of prognostic biomarkers for lung cancer.
- Jeong Y, Xie Y, Xiao G, Behrens C, Girard L, Wistuba II, Minna JD, Mangelsdorf DJ PLoS Med. 2010 7 12 e1000378
- Cancer stem cells.
- Rudin C, Minna J J Thorac Oncol 2009 Nov 4 11 Suppl 3 S1079-81
- Multifocal lung cancers--clonality vs field cancerization and does it matter?
- Gazdar AF, Minna JD J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2009 Apr 101 8 541-3
- Small-cell lung cancer: translational research enroute to therapeutic advances.
- Dowell J, Minna JD Oncology (Williston Park, N.Y.) 2008 Nov 22 13 1493, 1495
- Deregulated EGFR signaling during lung cancer progression: mutations, amplicons, and autocrine loops.
- Gazdar AF, Minna JD Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2008 Aug 1 3 156-60
- ASPP1, a common activator of TP53, is inactivated by aberrant methylation of its promoter in acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Agirre X, Román-Gómez J, Jiménez-Velasco A, Garate L, Montiel-Duarte C, Navarro G, Vázquez I, Zalacain M, Calasanz MJ, Heiniger A, Torres A, Minna JD, Prósper F Oncogene 2006 Mar 25 13 1862-70
Honors & Awards
- ASCO Award
- ASCO Award
Lifetime Scientific Achievement (2005)
- Ochsner Award
Award for Smoking Related Research (2004)
- Bristol Myers Squibb Award
Award for Lung Cancer Research (1997)
- Rosenthal Prize
Prize for Cancer Research (1984)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- ASBMB, ASCI, AFCR, ASH, IASLC
- Association of American Physicians (AAP)
- Fellow American College of Physicians (FACP)