Stanford University, Stanford, CA A.B. 1963 Psychology Stanford Medical School, Stanford, CA M.D. 1967 Medicine Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 1967-1969 Internal Medicine National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 1969-1973 Genetics A. Positions and Honors. 1963-1967 Predoctoral Trainee PHS, Dept of Genetics, Stanford Medical School (Dr. L. Herzenberg) 1967-1969 Internship and Residency, Dept of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hosp, Boston, MA 1969-1973 Res Assoc, Lab. of Biochemical Genetics (LBG), NHLBI, NIH (Dr. Marshall Nirenberg) 1973-1975 Head, Section on Somatic Cell Genetics, LBG, NHLBI, NIH 1974-1991 Attending Physician, Clinical Center, NIH 1975-1981 Chief, NCI-VA Medical Oncology Branch, Clinical Oncology Program, DCT, NCI, NIH 1981-1991 Chief, NCI-Navy Medical Oncology Branch, COP, DCT, NCI, NIH 1981-1991 Prof of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 1969-1991 United States Public Health Service (PHS); Captain (06); Retired 1991 1991-Pres. Prof of Medicine & Pharmacology, UT Southwestern Medical Center Dallas (UTSWMC) 1991-1995 Director, Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center, UTSWMC, Lisa K. Simmon Distinguished Chair in Comprehensive Oncology, Chief, Division of Medical Oncology/Hematology 1995-Pres. Director, Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology Research and W.A. "Tex" & Deborah Moncrief Jr. Center for Cancer Genetics, UTSWMC, Sarah M. & Charles E. Seay Distinguished Chair in Cancer Research, Max L. Thomas Distinguished Chair in Molecular Pulmonary Oncology Honors PHS: Commendation Medal (1979), Meritorious Service Medical (1986), Unit Commendation Medal (1991); Rosenthal Prize for Cancer Research (1984); Milken Foundation Award for Scientific Excellence in Clinical Research (1989); Chester Stock Award, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (1992); Bristol Myers Squibb Award for Lung Cancer Research (1997); Moran Award Univ. Michigan (2000), NCI SPORE Program Award for Leadership (2003), Ochsner Award Smoking Related Research (2004), ASCO Scientific Achievement Award (2005), ASCO Lifetime Achievement Award (2007) B. Selected peer-reviewed publications (2006-2007). Sato, M., Vaughan, M. B., Girard, L., Peyton, M., Lee, W., Shames, D. S., Ramirez, R. D., Sunaga, N., Gazdar, A. F., Shay, J. W., and Minna, J. D. Multiple Oncogenic Changes (K-RASV12, p53 Knockdown, Mutant EGFRs, p16 Bypass, Telomerase) Are Not Sufficient to Confer a Full Malignant Phenotype on Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells. Cancer Res, 66: 2116-2128, 2006. Zhou, B. B., Peyton, M., He, B., Liu, C., Girard, L., Caudler, E., Lo, Y., Baribaud, F., Mikami, I., Reguart, N., Yang, G., Li, Y., Yao, W., Vaddi, K., Gazdar, A. F., Friedman, S. M., Jablons, D. M., Newton, R. C., Fridman, J. S., Minna, J. D., and Scherle, P. A. Targeting ADAM-mediated ligand cleavage to inhibit HER3 and EGFR pathways in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Cell, 10: 39-50, 2006. Deng, W. G., Kawashima, H., Wu, G., Jayachandran, G., Xu, K., Minna, J. D., Roth, J. A., and Ji, L. Synergistic tumor suppression by coexpression of FUS1 and p53 is associated with down-regulation of murine double minute-2 and activation of the apoptotic protease-activating factor 1-dependent apoptotic pathway in human non-small cell lung cancer cells. Cancer Res, 67: 709-717, 2007. Lam, D. C., Girard, L., Ramirez, R., Chau, W. S., Suen, W. S., Sheridan, S., Tin, V. P., Chung, L. P., Wong, M. P., Shay, J. W., Gazdar, A. F., Lam, W. K., and Minna, J. D. Expression of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit genes in non-small-cell lung cancer reveals differences between smokers and nonsmokers. Cancer Res, 67: 4638-4647, 2007. Whitehurst, A. W., Bodemann, B. O., Cardenas, J., Ferguson, D., Girard, L., Peyton, M., Minna, J. D., Michnoff, C., Hao, W., Roth, M. G., Xie, X. J., and White, M. A. Synthetic lethal screen identification of chemosensitizer loci in cancer cells. Nature, 446: 815-819, 2007.
- Medical School
- Stanford University Medical Center (1967)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1968), Medicine
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1969), Medicine
- National Institutes of Health (1973), Biochemical Genetics
- Breast Cancer
- Genome wide mRNA, protein, and DNA analysis
- Lung Cancer
- Molecular biomarkers of response to cancer therapy
- Molecular pathogenesis of human cancer
- p63 and SOX2 Dictate Glucose Reliance and Metabolic Vulnerabilities in Squamous Cell Carcinomas.
- Hsieh MH, Choe JH, Gadhvi J, Kim YJ, Arguez MA, Palmer M, Gerold H, Nowak C, Do H, Mazambani S, Knighton JK, Cha M, Goodwin J, Kang MK, Jeong JY, Lee SY, Faubert B, Xuan Z, Abel ED, Scafoglio C, Shackelford DB, Minna JD, Singh PK, Shulaev V, Bleris L, Hoyt K, Kim J, Inoue M, DeBerardinis RJ, Kim TH, Kim JW, Cell Rep 2019 Aug 28 7 1860-1878.e9
- Subtype-specific secretomic characterization of pulmonary neuroendocrine tumor cells.
- Wang XD, Hu R, Ding Q, Savage TK, Huffman KE, Williams N, Cobb MH, Minna JD, Johnson JE, Yu Y, Nat Commun 2019 Jul 10 1 3201
- Systematic Analysis of Gene Expression in Lung Adenocarcinoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma with a Case Study of FAM83A and FAM83B.
- Cai L, Luo D, Yao B, Yang DM, Lin S, Girard L, DeBerardinis RJ, Minna JD, Xie Y, Xiao G, Cancers (Basel) 2019 Jun 11 6
- Development and Validation of a Pathology Image Analysis-based Predictive Model for Lung Adenocarcinoma Prognosis - A Multi-cohort Study.
- Luo X, Yin S, Yang L, Fujimoto J, Yang Y, Moran C, Kalhor N, Weissferdt A, Xie Y, Gazdar A, Minna J, Wistuba II, Mao Y, Xiao G, Sci Rep 2019 May 9 1 6886
- Molecular subtypes of small cell lung cancer: a synthesis of human and mouse model data.
- Rudin CM, Poirier JT, Byers LA, Dive C, Dowlati A, George J, Heymach JV, Johnson JE, Lehman JM, MacPherson D, Massion PP, Minna JD, Oliver TG, Quaranta V, Sage J, Thomas RK, Vakoc CR, Gazdar AF, Nat. Rev. Cancer 2019 May 19 5 289-297
- LKB1 and KEAP1/NRF2 pathways cooperatively promote metabolic reprogramming with enhanced glutamine dependence in KRAS-mutant lung adenocarcinoma.
- Galan-Cobo A, Sitthideatphaiboon P, Qu X, Poteete A, Pisegna MA, Tong P, Chen PH, Boroughs LK, Rodriguez MLM, Zhang W, Parlati F, Wang J, Gandhi V, Skoulidis F, DeBerardinis RJ, Minna JD, Heymach JV, Cancer Res. 2019 Apr
- Checkpoint Inhibitor Pneumonitis: Too Clinically Serious For Benefit?
- Le T, Minna JD, Gerber DE J Thorac Oncol 2019 Mar 14 3 332-335
- Small cell lung cancers made from scratch.
- Gazdar AF, Minna JD J. Exp. Med. 2019 Feb
- Inhibition of Thioredoxin/Thioredoxin Reductase Induces Synthetic Lethality in Lung Cancers with Compromised Glutathione Homeostasis.
- Yan X, Zhang X, Wang L, Zhang R, Pu X, Wu S, Li L, Tong P, Wang J, Meng QH, Jensen VB, Girard L, Minna JD, Roth JA, Swisher SG, Heymach JV, Fang B Cancer Res. 2019 Jan 79 1 125-132
- Elucidating synergistic dependencies in lung adenocarcinoma by proteome-wide signaling-network analysis.
- Bansal M, He J, Peyton M, Kustagi M, Iyer A, Comb M, White M, Minna JD, Califano A PLoS ONE 2019 14 1 e0208646
Honors & Awards
- ASCO Award
- ASCO Award
Lifetime Scientific Achievement (2005)
- Ochsner Award
Award for Smoking Related Research (2004)
- Bristol Myers Squibb Award
Award for Lung Cancer Research (1997)
- Rosenthal Prize
Prize for Cancer Research (1984)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- ASBMB, ASCI, AFCR, ASH, IASLC
- Association of American Physicians (AAP)
- Fellow American College of Physicians (FACP)