Stanford University, Stanford, CA A.B. 1963 Psychology Stanford Medical School, Stanford, CA M.D. 1967 Medicine Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 1967-1969 Internal Medicine National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 1969-1973 Genetics A. Positions and Honors. 1963-1967 Predoctoral Trainee PHS, Dept of Genetics, Stanford Medical School (Dr. L. Herzenberg) 1967-1969 Internship and Residency, Dept of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hosp, Boston, MA 1969-1973 Res Assoc, Lab. of Biochemical Genetics (LBG), NHLBI, NIH (Dr. Marshall Nirenberg) 1973-1975 Head, Section on Somatic Cell Genetics, LBG, NHLBI, NIH 1974-1991 Attending Physician, Clinical Center, NIH 1975-1981 Chief, NCI-VA Medical Oncology Branch, Clinical Oncology Program, DCT, NCI, NIH 1981-1991 Chief, NCI-Navy Medical Oncology Branch, COP, DCT, NCI, NIH 1981-1991 Prof of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 1969-1991 United States Public Health Service (PHS); Captain (06); Retired 1991 1991-Pres. Prof of Medicine & Pharmacology, UT Southwestern Medical Center Dallas (UTSWMC) 1991-1995 Director, Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center, UTSWMC, Lisa K. Simmon Distinguished Chair in Comprehensive Oncology, Chief, Division of Medical Oncology/Hematology 1995-Pres. Director, Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology Research and W.A. "Tex" & Deborah Moncrief Jr. Center for Cancer Genetics, UTSWMC, Sarah M. & Charles E. Seay Distinguished Chair in Cancer Research, Max L. Thomas Distinguished Chair in Molecular Pulmonary Oncology Honors PHS: Commendation Medal (1979), Meritorious Service Medical (1986), Unit Commendation Medal (1991); Rosenthal Prize for Cancer Research (1984); Milken Foundation Award for Scientific Excellence in Clinical Research (1989); Chester Stock Award, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (1992); Bristol Myers Squibb Award for Lung Cancer Research (1997); Moran Award Univ. Michigan (2000), NCI SPORE Program Award for Leadership (2003), Ochsner Award Smoking Related Research (2004), ASCO Scientific Achievement Award (2005), ASCO Lifetime Achievement Award (2007) B. Selected peer-reviewed publications (2006-2007). Sato, M., Vaughan, M. B., Girard, L., Peyton, M., Lee, W., Shames, D. S., Ramirez, R. D., Sunaga, N., Gazdar, A. F., Shay, J. W., and Minna, J. D. Multiple Oncogenic Changes (K-RASV12, p53 Knockdown, Mutant EGFRs, p16 Bypass, Telomerase) Are Not Sufficient to Confer a Full Malignant Phenotype on Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells. Cancer Res, 66: 2116-2128, 2006. Zhou, B. B., Peyton, M., He, B., Liu, C., Girard, L., Caudler, E., Lo, Y., Baribaud, F., Mikami, I., Reguart, N., Yang, G., Li, Y., Yao, W., Vaddi, K., Gazdar, A. F., Friedman, S. M., Jablons, D. M., Newton, R. C., Fridman, J. S., Minna, J. D., and Scherle, P. A. Targeting ADAM-mediated ligand cleavage to inhibit HER3 and EGFR pathways in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Cell, 10: 39-50, 2006. Deng, W. G., Kawashima, H., Wu, G., Jayachandran, G., Xu, K., Minna, J. D., Roth, J. A., and Ji, L. Synergistic tumor suppression by coexpression of FUS1 and p53 is associated with down-regulation of murine double minute-2 and activation of the apoptotic protease-activating factor 1-dependent apoptotic pathway in human non-small cell lung cancer cells. Cancer Res, 67: 709-717, 2007. Lam, D. C., Girard, L., Ramirez, R., Chau, W. S., Suen, W. S., Sheridan, S., Tin, V. P., Chung, L. P., Wong, M. P., Shay, J. W., Gazdar, A. F., Lam, W. K., and Minna, J. D. Expression of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit genes in non-small-cell lung cancer reveals differences between smokers and nonsmokers. Cancer Res, 67: 4638-4647, 2007. Whitehurst, A. W., Bodemann, B. O., Cardenas, J., Ferguson, D., Girard, L., Peyton, M., Minna, J. D., Michnoff, C., Hao, W., Roth, M. G., Xie, X. J., and White, M. A. Synthetic lethal screen identification of chemosensitizer loci in cancer cells. Nature, 446: 815-819, 2007.
- Medical School
- Stanford University Medical Center (1967)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1968), Medicine
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1969), Medicine
- National Institutes of Health (1973), Biochemical Genetics
- Breast Cancer
- Genome wide mRNA, protein, and DNA analysis
- Lung Cancer
- Molecular biomarkers of response to cancer therapy
- Molecular pathogenesis of human cancer
- SLC43A3 is a Biomarker of Sensitivity to the Telomeric DNA Damage Mediator 6-Thio-2'-Deoxyguanosine.
- Mender I, Batten K, Peyton M, Vemula A, Cornelius C, Girard L, Gao B, Minna JD, Shay JW, Cancer Res. 2020 Jan
- RUVBL1/RUVBL2 ATPase Activity Drives PAQosome Maturation, DNA Replication and Radioresistance in Lung Cancer.
- Yenerall P, Das AK, Wang S, Kollipara RK, Li LS, Villalobos P, Flaming J, Lin YF, Huffman K, Timmons BC, Gilbreath C, Sonavane R, Kinch LN, Rodriguez-Canales J, Moran C, Behrens C, Hirasawa M, Takata T, Murakami R, Iwanaga K, Chen BPC, Grishin NV, Raj GV, Wistuba II, Minna JD, Kittler R, Cell Chem Biol 2019 Dec
- A Proteomic Connectivity Map for Characterizing the Tumor Adaptive Response to Small Molecule Chemical Perturbagens.
- Zi Z, Zhang Y, Zhang P, Ding Q, Chu M, Chen Y, Minna JD, Yu Y, ACS Chem. Biol. 2019 Dec
- UCHL1 has prognostic relevance and is a therapeutic target for high-grade neuroendocrine lung cancers.
- Shimada Y, Kudo Y, Maehara S, Matsubayashi J, Otaki Y, Kajiwara N, Ohira T, Minna JD, Ikeda N, Cancer Sci. 2019 Dec
- From clinical specimens to human cancer preclinical models-a journey the NCI-cell line database-25 years later.
- Mulshine JL, Ujhazy P, Antman M, Burgess CM, Kuzmin I, Bunn PA, Johnson BE, Roth JA, Pass HI, Ross SM, Aldige CR, Wistuba II, Minna JD, J. Cell. Biochem. 2019 Dec
- ConvPath: A software tool for lung adenocarcinoma digital pathological image analysis aided by a convolutional neural network.
- Wang S, Wang T, Yang L, Yang DM, Fujimoto J, Yi F, Luo X, Yang Y, Yao B, Lin S, Moran C, Kalhor N, Weissferdt A, Minna J, Xie Y, Wistuba II, Mao Y, Xiao G, EBioMedicine 2019 Nov
- Unbiased peptoid combinatorial cell screen identifies plectin protein as a potential biomarker for lung cancer stem cells.
- Raymond AC, Gao B, Girard L, Minna JD, Gomika Udugamasooriya D, Sci Rep 2019 Oct 9 1 14954
- Artificial Intelligence in Lung Cancer Pathology Image Analysis.
- Wang S, Yang DM, Rong R, Zhan X, Fujimoto J, Liu H, Minna J, Wistuba II, Xie Y, Xiao G, Cancers (Basel) 2019 Oct 11 11
- Metabolic Diversity in Human Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Cells.
- Chen PH, Cai L, Huffman K, Yang C, Kim J, Faubert B, Boroughs L, Ko B, Sudderth J, McMillan EA, Girard L, Chen D, Peyton M, Shields MD, Yao B, Shames DS, Kim HS, Timmons B, Sekine I, Britt R, Weber S, Byers LA, Heymach JV, Chen J, White MA, Minna JD, Xiao G, DeBerardinis RJ, Mol. Cell 2019 Sep
- AIF: an acquired metabolic liability in lung cancer.
- Faubert B, DeBerardinis RJ, Minna JD, Cell Res. 2019 Aug 29 8 607-608
Honors & Awards
- ASCO Award
- ASCO Award
Lifetime Scientific Achievement (2005)
- Ochsner Award
Award for Smoking Related Research (2004)
- Bristol Myers Squibb Award
Award for Lung Cancer Research (1997)
- Rosenthal Prize
Prize for Cancer Research (1984)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- ASBMB, ASCI, AFCR, ASH, IASLC
- Association of American Physicians (AAP)
- Fellow American College of Physicians (FACP)