1992-1993 Postdoctoral Fellow (Neuroscience): Mitsubishi Kasei Institute of Life Sciences, Tokyo, Japan. (Mentor: Shin-Ichi T Inouye, Ph.D.)
1993-1994 Postdoctoral Fellow (Neuroscience): Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Tokyo, Japan. (Mentor: Yoichiro Kuroda, Ph.D.)
1994-1996 Research Associate (Chronobiology): Department of Biology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA. (Mentors: Michael Menaker, Ph.D. and Gene D Block, Ph.D.)
1996-2002 Research Scientist: Department of Biology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville,VA.
2000-2002 Center Investigator: NSF Center for Biological Timing
2002-2006 Research Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
2006-2013 Member of the Vanderbilt Kennedy Center for Research on Human Development
2006-2013 Research Associate Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
- Circadian Physiology
- Feeding and Light Entrainment of the Circadian System
- Live Cell/Tissue Real-Time Imaging
- Mouse Models for Human Disorders Caused by Disruption/Disorganization/Misalignment of the Circadian System
- Neural Circuit Controlling Feeding and Locomotor Activity Rhythms
- Pacemaker Coupling
- Period-independent novel circadian oscillators revealed by timed exercise and palatable meals.
- Flôres DE, Bettilyon CN, Yamazaki S Sci Rep 2016 6 21945
- The Running Wheel Enhances Food Anticipatory Activity: An Exploratory Study.
- Flôres DE, Bettilyon CN, Jia L, Yamazaki S Front Behav Neurosci 2016 10 143
- Period determination in the food-entrainable and methamphetamine-sensitive circadian oscillator(s).
- Pendergast JS, Oda GA, Niswender KD, Yamazaki S Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2012 Aug 109 35 14218-23
- Circadian-independent cell mitosis in immortalized fibroblasts.
- Yeom M, Pendergast JS, Ohmiya Y, Yamazaki S Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 May 107 21 9665-70
- Entrainment of the circadian clock in the liver by feeding.
- Stokkan KA, Yamazaki S, Tei H, Sakaki Y, Menaker M Science 2001 Jan 291 5503 490-3
- Resetting central and peripheral circadian oscillators in transgenic rats.
- Yamazaki S, Numano R, Abe M, Hida A, Takahashi R, Ueda M, Block GD, Sakaki Y, Menaker M, Tei H Science 2000 Apr 288 5466 682-5
- Rhythmic properties of the hamster suprachiasmatic nucleus in vivo.
- Yamazaki S, Kerbeshian MC, Hocker CG, Block GD, Menaker M J. Neurosci. 1998 Dec 18 24 10709-23
- mPeriod2 (Brdm1) and other single Period mutant mice have normal food anticipatory activity.
- Pendergast JS, Wendroth RH, Stenner RC, Keil CD, Yamazaki S Sci Rep 2017 Nov 7 1 15510
- Period2 3'-UTR and microRNA-24 regulate circadian rhythms by repressing PERIOD2 protein accumulation.
- Yoo SH, Kojima S, Shimomura K, Koike N, Buhr ED, Furukawa T, Ko CH, Gloston G, Ayoub C, Nohara K, Reyes BA, Tsuchiya Y, Yoo OJ, Yagita K, Lee C, Chen Z, Yamazaki S, Green CB, Takahashi JS Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2017 Oct
- Effects of light, food, and methamphetamine on the circadian activity rhythm in mice.
- Pendergast JS, Yamazaki S Physiol. Behav. 2014 Feb