Dr. Tong received her medical degree from the Tongji Medical College in China and her doctorate from the University of Western Ontario in Canada. She completed internal medicine residency training at the University of Iowa, followed by advanced training through a cardiology fellowship at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Tong’s research is focused on the molecular mechanisms of HFpEF and AF. Her investigations have resulted in 26 publications in peer-reviewed journals and contributions to one book chapter. Additionally, she has presented her findings at scientific conferences throughout the United States and around the world.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in Cardiovascular Medicine, she joined the UT Southwestern Faculty in 2021.
As a physician-scientist, her research and clinical interests are focused on cardiovascular conditions that are tightly associated with metabolic diseases, particularly heart failure with preserved ejection fraction and atrial fibrillation.
Dr. Tong is active in several professional societies, including the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology.
Dr. Tong’s interests outside of medicine include her family, cooking, and reading.
- Medical School
- Tongii Medical University (2001)
- Tongii Medical University (2003), Internal Medicine
- Graduate School
- University of Western Ontario Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry (2008), Pharmacology
- Children's Hospital of Boston (2013)
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (2016), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2021), Cardiovascular Medicine
- Molecular mechanisms of Atrial Fibrillation
- Molecular mechanisms of Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction (HFpEF)
- Novel therapies for HFpEF
- Impaired AMP-Activated Protein Kinase Signaling in Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction-Associated Atrial Fibrillation.
- Tong D, Schiattarella GG, Jiang N, Daou D, Luo Y, Link MS, Lavandero S, Gillette TG, Hill JA, Circulation 2022 07 146 1 73-76
- NAD+ Repletion Reverses Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction.
- Tong D, Schiattarella GG, Jiang N, Altamirano F, Szweda PA, Elnwasany A, Lee DI, Yoo H, Kass DA, Szweda LI, Lavandero S, Verdin E, Gillette TG, Hill JA, Circ Res 2021 May 128 11 1629-1641
- Xbp1s-FoxO1 axis governs lipid accumulation and contractile performance in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.
- Schiattarella GG, Altamirano F, Kim SY, Tong D, Ferdous A, Piristine H, Dasgupta S, Wang X, French KM, Villalobos E, Spurgin SB, Waldman M, Jiang N, May HI, Hill TM, Luo Y, Yoo H, Zaha VG, Lavandero S, Gillette TG, Hill JA, Nat Commun 2021 03 12 1 1684
- Metabolic Imaging in Cardio-oncology.
- Tong D, Zaha VG, J Cardiovasc Transl Res 2020 06 13 3 357-366
- Can HFpEF and HFrEF Coexist?
- Schiattarella GG, Tong D, Hill JA, Circulation 2020 03 141 9 709-711
- Female Sex Is Protective in a Preclinical Model of Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction.
- Tong D, Schiattarella GG, Jiang N, May HI, Lavandero S, Gillette TG, Hill JA, Circulation 2019 11 140 21 1769-1771
- Polycystin-1 Assembles With Kv Channels to Govern Cardiomyocyte Repolarization and Contractility.
- Altamirano F, Schiattarella GG, French KM, Kim SY, Engelberger F, Kyrychenko S, Villalobos E, Tong D, Schneider JW, Ramirez-Sarmiento CA, Lavandero S, Gillette TG, Hill JA, Circulation 2019 09 140 11 921-936
- Nitrosative stress drives heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.
- Schiattarella GG, Altamirano F, Tong D, French KM, Villalobos E, Kim SY, Luo X, Jiang N, May HI, Wang ZV, Hill TM, Mammen PPA, Huang J, Lee DI, Hahn VS, Sharma K, Kass DA, Lavandero S, Gillette TG, Hill JA, Nature 2019 04 568 7752 351-356
- Ventricular Phenotyping Reviews.
- Schiattarella GG, Tong D, Hill JA, Circulation 2018 08 138 8 749-750
- Down Syndrome Critical Region 1 Gene, Rcan1, Helps Maintain a More Fused Mitochondrial Network.
- Parra V, Altamirano F, Hernández-Fuentes CP, Tong D, Kyrychenko V, Rotter D, Pedrozo Z, Hill JA, Eisner V, Lavandero S, Schneider JW, Rothermel BA, Circ Res 2018 03 122 6 e20-e33
Isolation and patch-clamp of primary adipocytes. In Methods Molecular Biology
Zhang Y, Tong D, Mishra A, Xie L, Samuel I, Smith JK, Sah R. (2017). Totowa, New Jersey, Humana Press
Honors & Awards
- Disease Oriented Clinical Scholar, UTSW
- NIH K08 Award
Principal Investigator (2022)
- American Heart Association Career Development Award
- American College of Cardiology (2016)
- American Heart Association (2016)