Dr. Ellis is originally from Massachusetts. He completed his undergraduate studies in Biochemistry and received his medical degree from McGill University in Montreal, Canada. He returned to Massachusetts to complete a post-doctoral research fellowship studying early-stage osteoarthritis. Following his research fellowship, he completed his residency in internal medicine at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. He completed his gastroenterology fellowship at the Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans.
Interested in pancreaticobiliary disease and interventional endoscopy, he joined UTSW in 2021 to complete his training in advanced endoscopy and stayed on as an Assistant Professor after completion of his training.
Outside of medicine, Dr Ellis’ interests lie in spending time with his family, reading, and hockey.
- Medical School
- McGill University Faculty of Medicine (2014)
- University of Massachusetts Medical School/UMass Memorial Health Care (2018), Internal Medicine
- Oschner Clinic Foundation (2021), Gastroenterology
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Interventional Endoscopic Ultrasound
- Pancreaticobiliary Disease
- Palliation of Malignant Dysphagia: Dilation, Stents, Cryoablation or PDT: The GI Perspective.
- Ellis, Daniel J., Nisa M. Kubiliun, and Anna Tavakkoli Foregut: The Journal of The American Foregut Society 2022 2 2 186-191
- Pleural Effusions Following Liver Transplantation: A Single-Center Experience.
- Lui JK, Spaho L, Hakimian S, Devine M, Bui R, Touray S, Holzwanger E, Patel B, Ellis D, Fridlyand S, Ogunsua AA, Mahboub P, Daly JS, Bozorgzadeh A, Kopec SE, J Intensive Care Med 2021 Aug 36 8 862-872
- Trainee participation during screening colonoscopy does not affect ADR at subsequent surveillance, but may result in early follow-up.
- Eckardt AJ, Kheder J, Basil A, Silverstein T, Patel K, Mahmoud M, Al-Azzawi Y, Ellis D, Gillespie W, Carrasquillo Vega Y, Person SD, Levey JM, Endosc Int Open 2020 Dec 8 12 E1732-E1740
- dGEMRIC and CECT Comparison of Cationic and Anionic Contrast Agents in Cadaveric Human Metacarpal Cartilage.
- Freedman JD, Ellis DJ, Lusic H, Varma G, Grant AK, Lakin BA, Snyder BD, Grinstaff MW, J Orthop Res 2020 04 38 4 719-725
- Contrast-enhanced CT facilitates rapid, non-destructive assessment of cartilage and bone properties of the human metacarpal.
- Lakin BA, Ellis DJ, Shelofsky JS, Freedman JD, Grinstaff MW, Snyder BD, Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2015 Dec 23 12 2158-2166
- Islet Neogenesis Associated Protein (INGAP) induces the differentiation of an adult human pancreatic ductal cell line into insulin-expressing cells through stepwise activation of key transcription factors for embryonic beta cell development.
- Assouline-Thomas B, Ellis D, Petropavlovskaia M, Makhlin J, Ding J, Rosenberg L, Differentiation 2015 Nov-Dec 90 4-5 77-90
- The Relationship between Preoperative Expectations and the Short-Term Postoperative Satisfaction and Functional Outcome in Lumbar Spine Surgery: A Systematic Review.
- Ellis DJ, Mallozzi SS, Mathews JE, Moss IL, Ouellet JA, Jarzem P, Weber MH, Global Spine J 2015 Oct 5 5 436-52
Honors & Awards
- Caregiver Certificate
Nominated to receive a caregiver certificate from hospital administration. (2017)
- Everyone is a Caregiver
Nominated as an exceptional caregiver as part of the Everyone, Everyday campaign. (2017)
- American College of Gastroenterology (2019)
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2019)