Daniel J. Ellis, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases. His clinical interests include pancreaticobiliary disease and interventional endoscopy.
Originally from Massachusetts, Dr. Ellis holds a bachelor's degree in biochemistry from McGill University in Montreal, Canada, where he also earned his medical degree with honors. He returned to Massachusetts to complete a post-doctoral research fellowship studying early-stage osteoarthritis at the Center for Advanced Orthopaedic Studies in Boston. Following his research fellowship, he completed his residency in internal medicine at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester. He then completed advanced training in gastroenterology through a fellowship program the Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans, and through an advanced endoscopy fellowship at UT Southwestern.
Certified in internal medicine and gastroenterology, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2022.
His research interests include endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), interventional endoscopic ultrasound, and pancreaticobiliary disease.
Dr. Ellis is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American Medical Association, American College of Gastroenterology, and American Society for Gastroenterology.
Outside of medicine, Dr Ellis enjoys hockey, reading, and spending time with his family.
- Medical School
- McGill University Faculty of Medicine (2014)
- University of Massachusetts Medical School/UMass Memorial Health Care (2018), Internal Medicine
- Oschner Clinic Foundation (2021), Gastroenterology
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Interventional Endoscopic Ultrasound
- Pancreaticobiliary Disease
- Palliation of Malignant Dysphagia: Dilation, Stents, Cryoablation or PDT: The GI Perspective.
- Ellis, Daniel J., Nisa M. Kubiliun, and Anna Tavakkoli Foregut: The Journal of The American Foregut Society 2022 2 2 186-191
- Pleural Effusions Following Liver Transplantation: A Single-Center Experience.
- Lui JK, Spaho L, Hakimian S, Devine M, Bui R, Touray S, Holzwanger E, Patel B, Ellis D, Fridlyand S, Ogunsua AA, Mahboub P, Daly JS, Bozorgzadeh A, Kopec SE, J Intensive Care Med 2021 Aug 36 8 862-872
- Trainee participation during screening colonoscopy does not affect ADR at subsequent surveillance, but may result in early follow-up.
- Eckardt AJ, Kheder J, Basil A, Silverstein T, Patel K, Mahmoud M, Al-Azzawi Y, Ellis D, Gillespie W, Carrasquillo Vega Y, Person SD, Levey JM, Endosc Int Open 2020 Dec 8 12 E1732-E1740
- dGEMRIC and CECT Comparison of Cationic and Anionic Contrast Agents in Cadaveric Human Metacarpal Cartilage.
- Freedman JD, Ellis DJ, Lusic H, Varma G, Grant AK, Lakin BA, Snyder BD, Grinstaff MW, J Orthop Res 2020 04 38 4 719-725
- Contrast-enhanced CT facilitates rapid, non-destructive assessment of cartilage and bone properties of the human metacarpal.
- Lakin BA, Ellis DJ, Shelofsky JS, Freedman JD, Grinstaff MW, Snyder BD, Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2015 Dec 23 12 2158-2166
- Islet Neogenesis Associated Protein (INGAP) induces the differentiation of an adult human pancreatic ductal cell line into insulin-expressing cells through stepwise activation of key transcription factors for embryonic beta cell development.
- Assouline-Thomas B, Ellis D, Petropavlovskaia M, Makhlin J, Ding J, Rosenberg L, Differentiation 2015 Nov-Dec 90 4-5 77-90
- The Relationship between Preoperative Expectations and the Short-Term Postoperative Satisfaction and Functional Outcome in Lumbar Spine Surgery: A Systematic Review.
- Ellis DJ, Mallozzi SS, Mathews JE, Moss IL, Ouellet JA, Jarzem P, Weber MH, Global Spine J 2015 Oct 5 5 436-52
Honors & Awards
- Caregiver Certificate
Nominated to receive a caregiver certificate from hospital administration. (2017)
- Everyone is a Caregiver
Nominated as an exceptional caregiver as part of the Everyone, Everyday campaign. (2017)
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Medical Association
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy